New Oceanic servers for Aus/NZ ONLY

nokstar

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. People using M1 are getting 100ms. Please don't tell me its a Starhub problem.

Starhub and Singnet both getting 300-400ms. And that it's if no spikes. NO WAY I'm changing ISP just for this game lol.

I'm staying on the US servers as predicted.

Edited by VictoireStar

Starhub is probably the worst of the 3 isp's connecting to the new servers but thats not the point. Point is the latency that we are getting right now is far from "world class", no matter which isp. And ya changing isp isnt the solution at all, no way...

Anyway m1 really getting 100ms? constant? behind routing service/tunnels? interesting...

Edited by Deathcoffin

Starhub is probably the worst of the 3 isp's connecting to the new servers but thats not the point. Point is the latency that we are getting right now is far from "world class", no matter which isp. And ya changing isp isnt the solution at all, no way...

Anyway m1 really getting 100ms? constant? behind routing service/tunnels? interesting...

Yea changing isp is out of the question but I lost count of how many times my internet or latency problems have been Starhub related.

I spoke to a few M1 users and they were get 100-150ms.

Edited by BIazeOfGlory

Anyone know if they are planning on Chinese servers? *sigh*

I live in China and now I play on US west, most time I will get 250 and 180 at best times. Just tried the new "ASIA" servers, ping never got lower than 350.

Hoped there would be servers in HK or Singapore but now it looks more like a joke. They should rename the server names to oceanic to avoid the confusion.

I live in China and now I play on US west, most time I will get 250 and 180 at best times. Just tried the new "ASIA" servers, ping never got lower than 350.

Hoped there would be servers in HK or Singapore but now it looks more like a joke. They should rename the server names to oceanic to avoid the confusion.

Try playing from the SubContinent. Let's just say 250 would have been very welcome for me.

Swiftsure and Harbinger may drop some population, but a lot of the Asian big guilds are staying. Rumors are that a few Hong-Kong and Filipino guilds are considering transferring since their pings to the new Aussie servers are decent (200ms).

However for the rest of the regions, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, etc, I believe most players will stay.

hi. im from the philippines and i tested the new servers. ping w/o lowerping is 300 to 400. with lowerping its 400 and above. so i dunno how the other filipinos get 200ms. i doubt that is the case. im rather disappointed but i was already expecting it since before the servers came out, me and an sg friend were doing ping tests already and from there, we already saw that it was gonna be bad for all of us except for the aus players which are now getting 20 to max 70ms only. im happy for them but at the same time sad that they will be leaving...

In warhammer it was the reverse. Starhub 120-150 ping, M1/Singtel over 300+. Btw EA Mythic never did anything about it. In a way they are not lying. It is possible to get sub 150ms ping to Aussie servers, depending on the route taken. I'm with Starhub btw, getting 350-500 ping. Good thing I'm no longer on contract. I might switch to Superinternet Fiber to see how the latency is.

If any sg players know of a tunneling service to use with the Aussie servers, pm me details pls.

Edited by xfreidax

Reposting here:

Unfortunately, without placing a server in every country, it's impossible to ensure lower latency for all. We'll continue to monitor reports of latency issues for anomalies.

Adding servers in every country that can play The Old Republic is not feasible. However, as anyone playing The Old Republic is able to login to any server or choose any server region, you are not restricted in where you play, and can find the best latency for you.

The countries that are part of this Asia Pacific Launch are: Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore

Why are you releasing the Game in the Asia Pacific region?

Opening servers in the Asia Pacific region will provide a world class Game experience to our fans in these countries. It will also allow players to take advantage of decreased network latency by playing the game on a regional server.

Problem now is, players in Singapore and to some extend of Hong Kong, are experiencing latency from 270-500ms, which is so much worse than the latency to US server(~200ms).

So are these promises from the FAQ just sales gimmicks to make people buy the game, only to get disappointed after? No, in fact these are lies, unfulfilled promises!

You guys clearly stated in the FAQ, before APAC launch, that players in the 4 listed countries will get decreased network latency and World class Game experience by playing in the new servers. It is not the case. Please fix it asap and show commitment that it will be done.

If this issue cant be fix, admit your clear mistake and rename this launch to 'Oceania Launch' and the servers to Oceanic servers. Stop fooling people.

I tried out the new servers from Japan. I get a general ping of 280-290ms with occasional spikes up to around 400ms. Compare that to my general 130-140ms ping to my U.S. server and its just basically double. This makes sense since the cabling has my signal go from Japan-U.S.-Aus. Double the distance, double the ping.

I think this is just a case of Bioware being naive and uniformed about how international routing works for internet. Its great if you live in Aus., however. I don't see how they can fix this. They aren't going to open servers in all four of the Asian/Pacific countries (only 4 on the Bioware map of the world, apparently) and they aren't going to lay down new undersea cable bewteen Aus and the rest of the Asia/Pacific region.

Edited by Toroi

I think the devs should separate between Aus/New Zealand from Singapore/HK, if not players from real Asia Pacific countries would rather remain in Swiftsure for the 200+ ping rather than having a 400+ ping which is unplayable. If any devs see this thread, a reply is much appreciated.

As an Australian player, we've played mmo's with 400 ping for years. Not unplayable. Yes, I think bioware were close enough to fraudulent with their "oceanic launch", but hey, you guys still get half decent pings.

Reposting here:

The countries that are part of this Asia Pacific Launch are: Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore

Problem now is, players in Singapore and to some extend of Hong Kong, are experiencing latency from 270-500ms, which is so much worse than the latency to US server(~200ms).

So are these promises from the FAQ just sales gimmicks to make people buy the game, only to get disappointed after? No, in fact these are lies, unfulfilled promises!

You guys clearly stated in the FAQ, before APAC launch, that players in the 4 listed countries will get decreased network latency and World class Game experience by playing in the new servers. It is not the case. Please fix it asap and show commitment that it will be done.

If this issue cant be fix, admit your clear mistake and rename this launch to 'Oceania Launch' and the servers to Oceanic servers. Stop fooling people.

Dude you seriously need to calm down. I DO know that aussies are having the time of their life with 20-50ms. They set up the servers with good intentions, but for some reason, our routing probably routes to the US, then to the aussie servers.

I have a feeling this is from our ISP's ends. I just don't know how routing works.

Reposting here:

This needs to be re-iterated. The servers were listed as ASIA PACIFIC, not Australian/NZ. I am pleased as punch for the Aussies and Kiwis and their low ping, but they should not have promised what they obviously cannot deliver.

Ping should be ok once the National Broadband Network is fully operational lol!

iirc, NBN is an Australian fibre-optic infrastructure, although it helps the distribution from Australian hub to regions within the island/continent, it does almost nothing regarding connections from the hub with external sources.

the biggest irony of the whole launch is that both Singapore and Hong Kong gets a bad latency due to the main/major ISPs on those countries using a suboptimal routing towards Australia.

those within Asia that reported acceptable pings are supposedly people outside of Singapore/Hong Kong and/or using tunneling services.

Edited by Wesgile

The reports I'm getting in from players I know in game and in guild (spanning Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, and Japan) ALL of these players say that their pings are worse. The positive reports I've seen are from Aus, NZ, and Tasmania.

Sorry m8 but Tassy or Tasmania as you named it IS part of australia

Annnnnd continuing their fine tradition of customer service, we have one answer:

I am Protocol Droid U3-F5 of Human-Cyborg Relations.

I have received your transmission regarding the unpredictable latency you experience in game.

I'm very sorry to hear about the sever latency you are encountering XXXXX. Althou it is to be expected since you are playing from singapore and considering the distance to the server your connected, latency can not be avoided.

Bioware is aware of issues such as this and rest assured we are doing everything possible to resolve this as soon as possible. Visit our developers track on our official community page at http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php for further information.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if there is anything further we can help you with.

Galactic Support is our specialty...

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid U3-F5 (aka Rick)

Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service

Apparently my latency to the Asia Pacific servers cannot be avoided. Also, someone should tell your CS crew that they should capitalize country names.

This needs to be re-iterated. The servers were listed as ASIA PACIFIC, not Australian/NZ. I am pleased as punch for the Aussies and Kiwis and their low ping, but they should not have promised what they obviously cannot deliver.

Exactly!

In SC2 Battle.net, Blizzard opened a SEA server when they set it up in Singapore. They know the limitations of setting it up in SG, hence naming it SEA, a server to reduce ping for South East Asian territories.

Why would BioWare name their servers 'Asia Pacific servers'? I would understand the term 'Asia Pacific Launch', since the 4 countries get to buy the game officially, but naming the servers as APAC is just plain stupid.

Unless they can deliver what is promised in the FAQ, the least they can do is apologise and rename the servers as 'Oceanic' imo

Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia all have worse latencies to the Oceanic server than US West servers. I reside in Singapore and the latency lowest was 380. My usual is 220 on the Swiftsure. Sounds like some terribad ISP routing. I had my hopes up... now they are destroyed.

I am a long-time resident of Taiwan with better than average knowledge of typical internet latencies in the Asia-Pacific region due to previous work I did on behalf of telecom operators, including a submarine fiber optic cable company.

Bioware / EA has been somewhat dishonest by way of omission in promoting the "Asia-Pacific" launch of SWTOR. Due to the regional cross-border routing of submarine cables (something entirely outside EA's control), my latency in Taiwan will always on average be about 3x's better when connecting to a US West Coast server than to any server in Australia. This should also be true, albeit to a lesser extent, in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Bioware knew, or should have known, that latencies experienced by persons residing in Hong Kong and Singapore (official A-P launch locations) will be much worse on the new Australia-based SWTOR servers than on US West Coast servers. Yet in advertising the A-P launch of SWTOR, Bioware not only failed to inform Hong Kong and Singapore residents that latencies would be significantly worse on the new "Asia-Pacific" servers than existing West Coast servers, but actually implied that the new servers were more suitable for all players in the A-P launch areas.

Although it's too much to expect that EA or Bioware will ever apologize for this, perhaps someday Hong Kong and / or Singapore-based SWTOR servers will become available.

Edited by Ashraman

heh, knew they should've just do with "Oceanic", instead of calling it "Asia Pacific" in their news.

edit: okay, just got a report from 2 Singaporean, says their traceroute jumps to 380ms a hop on vocus.net.au.

Agreed. It's one thing to describe an "Asia-Pacific" launch, which is perfectly true and not misleading due to launch locations including Hong Kong, etc. But it's entirely another thing for EA / Bioware to promote this "A-P" launch by describing new servers as "Asia-Pacific" servers. The phrasing "Asia-Pacific servers" strongly implies that players residing in the Asia-Pacific region will experience better performance on these servers.

EA should proactively amend existing advertising in A-P countries and make a suitable announcement before some "aggrieved" individual with too much time on his/her hands files a complaint with a local governmental consumer protection organization or the equivalent.

Edited by Ashraman