So... Did I choose the wrong class?

Tibbetz

All right! So here's my story:

I've been playing a smuggler up to level 42, love the story so far and the gameplay, while slow as a sawbones healer, seems to go pretty smoothly, having a healer makes soloing pretty simple. I always get complements from people in flashpoints on my healing, so I've always assumed that sawbones healer classes were pretty good.

HOWEVER!!

After joining a flashpoint today we were trying to get a tank for colocoid war games, and we happened to have 2 sage healers in the group as well that were about to go respec to dps. while we were waiting, however, we were grouped up and out of boredome I started healing one, who turns around, presses a few buttons, and I get a literal WALL of green numbers all about the same as my slow release medpacks, and he sustained it! And it was an AoE!

So my question is... are sawbones really not very effective as healers? I haven't really done any studying on it, so I don't know where I stand in the ranks of things.

any feedback would be helpful!

~Jak

Op/Scoundrel healing is "fine" in the sense that it can heal any HM, Op, or in PvP. No, it's not as strong as sorc healing. If you're just looking to play the strongest classes, then yeah, you picked the wrong class and should reroll sorc.

Personally, I would stick it out, for several reasons. First, they got a healing buff in the last patch, albeit a small one. More importantly though, they mentioned that they will be making some changes to make sorc healing weaker and Op/Scoundrel healing stronger. Second, there is already a disproportionate number of sorcs/sages on all servers. They are fotm. If the classes do get balanced out properly, it would be a lot easier to find groups/guilds as an underplayed class than one in which everyone and their mom plays. Third, IMO they are just way more fun to play.

All right! So here's my story:

I've been playing a smuggler up to level 42, love the story so far and the gameplay, while slow as a sawbones healer, seems to go pretty smoothly, having a healer makes soloing pretty simple. I always get complements from people in flashpoints on my healing, so I've always assumed that sawbones healer classes were pretty good.

HOWEVER!!

After joining a flashpoint today we were trying to get a tank for colocoid war games, and we happened to have 2 sage healers in the group as well that were about to go respec to dps. while we were waiting, however, we were grouped up and out of boredome I started healing one, who turns around, presses a few buttons, and I get a literal WALL of green numbers all about the same as my slow release medpacks, and he sustained it! And it was an AoE!

So my question is... are sawbones really not very effective as healers? I haven't really done any studying on it, so I don't know where I stand in the ranks of things.

any feedback would be helpful!

~Jak

You didn't choose the wrong class, bioware has stated that commando's/scoundrels aoe is getting buffed and sage healing is getting nerfed. The fact of the matter is, nerfs and buffs will come and go for -every- class over the years. Choose a playstyle that suits you and stick with it, switching with the flavour of the month crowd might work for some people but, in my eyes, you'll be playing a class for the wrong reasons. Just because you think its the best.

If you're having fun with a scoundrel, play it. I'm a scoundrel healer who heals in both hardmode pve(operations, fps) and pvps regularly and I can honestly say we're fine. In warzones I'm usually top in heals, above sages regularly. It all depends on the player.

Ignore the hate! Scoundrels for life. d(^.^ )z

You didn't choose the wrong class, bioware has stated that commando's/scoundrels aoe is getting buffed and sage healing is getting nerfed. The fact of the matter is, nerfs and buffs will come and go for -every- class over the years. Choose a playstyle that suits you and stick with it, switching with the flavour of the month crowd might work for some people but, in my eyes, you'll be playing a class for the wrong reasons. Just because you think its the best.

If you're having fun with a scoundrel, play it. I'm a scoundrel healer who heals in both hardmode pve(operations, fps) and pvps regularly and I can honestly say we're fine. In warzones I'm usually top in heals, above sages regularly. It all depends on the player.

Ignore the hate! Scoundrels for life. d(^.^ )z

I don't have issues playing my scoundrel healer, I can keep people alive, top heals, whatever, but it takes far more effort to be effective as a Scoundrel than it does as a Sage. Why should it take an exceptional Scoundrel to equal a mediocre Sage? I think that's the main argument that is continuously going on around here. I would prefer BW just buff classes to be on equal footing rather than nerfing them as well. I don't want Sage nerfs, I just wan't an equal playing field to start with so that exceptional players of both classes can realize their full potential. Scoundrels aren't specifically in a bad place, but the other healers have some much better/more effective/loss costly tools at their disposal.

So long as you realize you are a tech user vs. force users you will do fine. The game is as balanced as they can make it with 8 different character styles.

But the jedi/sith are more exciting to the average person than smuggler/bounty hunter and their mirrors. So we will be in the minority and you'd better decide you like the character style long term if you want to invest time without some disappointment.

I love the smuggler style and haven't found a force style I like. Our skill set lets us do some amazing things in all areas of battle. I've had ~60kills 0death matches where I felt like I was everywhere changing battle outcomes. Been farmed by pre-made force leapers teams with healing backup that stomp everything in their path, and PUG members don't rally as a team against them.

Its probably best to try out another class(es) that might interest you. I did and still come back to scoundrel because I love the sneaking and skirmishing out wins. Bounty Hunter is the only imp side story that interests me at the moment from lame wannabee bad guy stories.

Edited by vartius

i would say dont reroll.

Bioware said they would fix the AOE healing of the sage/sorcerer to be the same as smuggler and trooper, an instant spell. The sustained is too powerful

Play the class you enjoy and dont look elsewhere because grass always look greener. If you have fun, keep at it. Becuase even if you change because it is supposedly better and then get nerfed, youll be disapointed.

I told myself i would play a scoundrel at release after getting one to 50 in the beta. Ive played every single classes trying to find what i would prefer playing and finally came back to the scoundrel.

It is different. Perhaps some people feel it is less powerful but i feel like a great tank healer

edit: being able to vanish in combat, group stealth, battle ressurection, able to output a good dps even without specced that way, using a shotgun , magnum sound on quick shot, trench and cool hat, nut kick etc.

There is a BIG list of things i like and there is a huge list that i dont on the sorcerer/sage.

Learn your strenght and your weakness. Other classes have some too you know

Edit 2 : dont forget too that if ALL people are still alive at the end of the fight, this is the only thing you should be concerned about. If the sorcerer pull more heal in aoe then you, so what?. If both get the job done then its perfect

Edited by Wrathoran

Yes, you did. Reroll now before its too late.

Scoundrel is sub-par in every role compared to other classes.

This.

Scoundrels are the worst healers in the game and everything a dps scoundrel can do, an assassin/shadow can do much better.

If you're enjoying the story and playing your Scoundrel, I say you'll ultimately end up unsatisfied if you abandon your character because of class envy. BioWare will constantly be adjusting classes up or down. IMO you should at least finish your storyline and get some finality, and if you want to then, put your Scoundrel on ice and try another class for a new experience and an expanded perspective. Realize that everybody in every class complains about their class, regardless of balance; listening to forum posts harping on everything under the sun is a great way to leech the fun out of playing any character.

Finish getting your character to 50 and hope that we get some fixes in 1.2 which is just a few weeks away. Trust me, you want to finish the stories at least and Endgame isn't as terrible as some make it sound although our issues are real enough.

If you're enjoying the story and playing your Scoundrel, I say you'll ultimately end up unsatisfied if you abandon your character because of class envy... Realize that everybody in every class complains about their class, regardless of balance;

Seriously though, if you go to any class forum you will see that nobody is happy with the class they picked. MMO Forums are for QQing and complaining about balance.

Oddly enough, however, I haven't seen anyone complaining about how good smugglers are. Give it a few patches and people will be complaining about us :p

Seriously though, if you go to any class forum you will see that nobody is happy with the class they picked. MMO Forums are for QQing and complaining about balance.

Oddly enough, however, I haven't seen anyone complaining about how good smugglers are. Give it a few patches and people will be complaining about us :p

Doubtful considering you were the most OP class at launch, will be a long time before you get your turn again Edited by GregMD

Doubtful considering you were the most OP class at launch, will be a long time before you get your turn again

A long time in MMO terms is a relatively short time everywhere else.

I'm not sure why you think we were the most OP class at launch, but I'll take your word for it.

You can do fine as a scoundrel in any role, the thing is that if you played a different class, you could do the same things better. This includes both DPS and healing. But if you like playing scoundrel, don't worry too much - the class is still viable.

Pre-nerf scoundrels were ridiculously OP

Haha... Say it to any skilled enough tank. Scoundrels did what they were intended to do - fast disposal of single healers/DPS. Now it takes 2-3 people to kill a geared and experienced healer.

Edited by JackBurden

I would prefer BW just buff classes to be on equal footing rather than nerfing them as well. I don't want Sage nerfs, I just wan't an equal playing field to start with so that exceptional players of both classes can realize their full potential. .

So much this. All you ever see is folks on here clamoring for nerfs or applauding them. Every time I see it I go...'What' the point?' I rather they just buff the classes up instead of nerfing anything. Just because I may not play the class doesn't mean them nerfing it doesn't effect me in the long run when I have to group with that sage and end up missing those heals he puts out.

Oh and like someone else said, play what you enjoy. Classes are always changed in MMO's. It's the way it goes. So changing to something else just because you think it's stronger now will end up pointless if it gets blown up down the road. Just ride the wave and enjoy yourself. It's a game in the end of things and enjoyment is the goal.

Edited by Zhauric

As sawbones I think I'm doing fine in ops, although the buff to aoe heals will be good as it is the area where the sage clearly carries, whilst I have to prioritise and top up the lowest.

In pvp we kickarse but like all pvp minigames teammates make a huge difference im usually guarded by our tank and healboting him and two dps. In pugs where nobody intervenes when u get focused you will get frustrated.

In general comment there is a horrendous amount of emo on the Swtor forums and the dunsparrows of this world should be taken with a grain of salt.

So much this. All you ever see is folks on here clamoring for nerfs or applauding them. Every time I see it I go...'What' the point?' I rather they just buff the classes up instead of nerfing anything. Just because I may not play the class doesn't mean them nerfing it doesn't effect me in the long run when I have to group with that sage and end up missing those heals he puts out.

Oh and like someone else said, play what you enjoy. Classes are always changed in MMO's. It's the way it goes. So changing to something else just because you think it's stronger now will end up pointless if it gets blown up down the road. Just ride the wave and enjoy yourself. It's a game in the end of things and enjoyment is the goal.

Thing is, only buffing makes no sense as a balance mechanic. If you spend time to buff up seven classes to match the eighth, you have in effect nerfed the eighth class in relation to the other classes in PvP, for seven times the work, plus you've made your PvE content (which is most of the game, lest anyone forget) too easy because you used an overpowered class as your baseline rather than biting the bullet and nerfing it towards the baseline effectiveness you wanted. All because you weren't willing to take something away. Make much more sense from a dev perspective to apply the buff or nerf bat as needed.

Edited by dizzyMongoose

Haha... Say it to any skilled enough tank. Scoundrels did what they were intended to do - fast disposal of single healers/DPS. Now it takes 2-3 people to kill a geared and experienced healer.

Resilience/arena in that other game has led to a generation who'd rather be bored to death in pvp. I think the down side of the slowed down game is visible in voidstars where nobody plants in 16 minutes because you can to easily heal through the dps.

High burst every few minutes opens the game up. Constant high burst is not burst..