Marauder - What is the best build for solo play?

squallthesith

At the moment, i am playing the old republic purely solo; due to my laptop using an integrated Intel HD graphics card. It makes my game lag frequently, so until i get a desktop, solo play is optimal for me.

Anyways, since I'm playing purely solo, i was wondering what people would suggest as a good build for a marauder. I hear a lot of people saying that the carnage skill tree is the best for a balanced character who does not rely on a healer friend. However i also hear that rage is the most powerful of all the skill trees, and does massive damage.

So my question is while i play pure solo, should i focus on this rage skill tree due to its pure damage? Or due to the fact that i just have my companion Vette, should i be a more balanced character with carnage?

Well any feedback would be appreciated as i am quite new to the old republic.

-Thanks

You could do well with either Annihilation or Carnage while solo leveling. Annihilation offers more self heals and theoretically higher damage. I've found, however, that my damage output while solo leveling is actually much higher in Carnage, just because of the fact that things often die before my bleeds take their full effect. Once I realized that I switched to Carnage and I am able to burst down weaker enemies much more quickly.

Each tree has its own issues.

As the previous poster pointed out, most things die too quick for the bleeds of Anni to be fully effective. In end game hm fps/ops, anni comes into its own. But it lacks until then. It is also more gear dependent than the other specs, as you'll want the +crit gear to get you the crits you need for the self heals and such. All that being said, melee range force charges are fun, and a tad addictive. :)

The biggest issue I know of with carnage, is the short melee range of the ataru proc. Against large model foes, you won't actually be close enough to get it to proc on them, severely hurting your dps.

I have limited exp with rage as of yet, but I know its focus is more to the limited force abilities SW get. I plan to respec my alt mara (originally my main) to this to try it out. It is more burst dps like carnage is, but less dependent on the procs carnage needs. I can let you know in a few days ;)

I think it's more level dependant than anything else. At low to mid levels Annihilation was King for me, due to the self heals and such to get me through tough fights. Once you get some levels (and/or Quinn) Carnage is a blast. It's faster paced with some great burst. Having Berserk active while you spam Massacre is pretty sweet.

Each tree has its own issues.

I have limited exp with rage as of yet, but I know its focus is more to the limited force abilities SW get. I plan to respec my alt mara (originally my main) to this to try it out. It is more burst dps like carnage is, but less dependent on the procs carnage needs. I can let you know in a few days ;)

Yeah, i always liked being able to choke enemies in KOTOR, haha. So lemme know what its like Shatter.

Thanks everyone for your response, tough call between annihilation and carnage. Bleed effect sounds like its not very effective, but i like the idea of self heals. Medipacks don't do the trick, that 90 second cooldown kills. I like the idea of faster paced and more damage, so i guess ill test out carnage and see how that fits my play style.

Ill look around for some builds for carnage. Lemme know what your favorite builds are if you wish, it would help out, especially one's that are optimized for solo play.

Thanks guys!

Don't underestimate Rage. Smash hits really hard with 4 stacks of shockwave+auto crit. And its AoE which is ideal for solo-play. Rage is especially good at lvl 40+ when you get Force Crush.

Hmm. Now im stuck again haha. So are you trying to say that rage is ideal for people who play solo because of those two skills? i hear that its a class that does massive damage, but it is best to play with a healer buddy.

I've been levelling as Carnage and I find it quite good in regards to quick damage output. Force charge a mob, kick and then force scream and they have pretty much lost 90% of their health. I Just follow standard rotation (or lack there of lol) on strong mobs and they go down pretty quickly :)

Hmm. Now im stuck again haha. So are you trying to say that rage is ideal for people who play solo because of those two skills? i hear that its a class that does massive damage, but it is best to play with a healer buddy.

I'm on my 2nd marauder (changed servers after having a lvl 50 on another).

Both of them I have leveled up entirely solo.

Annihilation with Quinn is what you want, period.

Keep him geared.. anytime a quest reward gives him an upgrade... take it!

I've skipped all the heroics and flashpoints and I'm getting to planets 3 levels early, got to Alderaan at 25, Taris at 28.

Keep your gear and Quinn's gear up to date as much as possible and you'll have zero issues killing mobs, yes sometimes you'll have to really work for the kill, but it's so worth it.

my 2nd Marauder is lvl 30 and I've died 4 times.

Never quested at or below my level, and have soloed the entire way.

tldr:

Annihilation w Quinn

I'm on my 2nd marauder (changed servers after having a lvl 50 on another).

Both of them I have leveled up entirely solo.

Annihilation with Quinn is what you want, period.

Keep him geared.. anytime a quest reward gives him an upgrade... take it!

I've skipped all the heroics and flashpoints and I'm getting to planets 3 levels early, got to Alderaan at 25, Taris at 28.

Keep your gear and Quinn's gear up to date as much as possible and you'll have zero issues killing mobs, yes sometimes you'll have to really work for the kill, but it's so worth it.

my 2nd Marauder is lvl 30 and I've died 4 times.

Never quested at or below my level, and have soloed the entire way.

tldr:

Annihilation w Quinn

Hmm okay! Its worth a shot, i guess ill give him a try and see if it fits my style, if I'm not a fan i can always reset my skills. Thanks mate, a lot of good info from ya!

TBH, if you play the spec right, any of the 3 mara builds is effective. It just comes down to playstyle preference. Personally, I like Anni for my alt Mara. I started Rage til about 20, did carnage from 20-25, and at 25 swapped to Anni. I'm 35 now and have no intention of changing my spec from Anni.

Yes, the DoT's don't help much on regular mobs, so don't bother with them. You don't have to DoT it if it's going to die in two swings anyway.

I also feel with anni, for tougher storyline fights I'm not Married to Quinn, I can still use Jasea and get through thanks to the self heals. There is something very satisfying about beating a Champion level mob in PvE solo and ending with 100% health without a healer companion.

Marauders are easy to level but it seems a lot of people seem to have a hard time with it.

First 3 points should go into Enraged Slash or QR. Not DWM, rofl.

Do you really want to delay DS by 3 levels? No. Delay ER or QR by any levels? No.

Do you even have a decent level of offhand ACC with which to make use of DWM? No.

I leveled a Sent to 43 before coming over to a different server and Imp side. I leveled as Combat (Carnage) and it went fairly well. My Mara now I am leveling as Anni, and it is much much faster and a bit easier. I love Carnage and will go back to it, but the problem I have with it leveling is that it takes so long to finally blossom and give good results. When I was on my Sent, the spec did not really start to produce until the high 30's.

First 3 points should go into Enraged Slash or QR. Not DWM, rofl.

Do you really want to delay DS by 3 levels? No. Delay ER or QR by any levels? No.

Do you even have a decent level of offhand ACC with which to make use of DWM? No.

At the level that DS becomes obtainable, delaying by 3 levels is a non-issue.

If you actually NEED it 3 levels earlier then by all means, get it.

No matter what build gets posted, you will troll it and pick it apart because 1 point should be spent here, another there.

Go back under your bridge, trolll.

:rolleyes:

At the level that DS becomes obtainable, delaying by 3 levels is a non-issue.

If you actually NEED it 3 levels earlier then by all means, get it.

No matter what build gets posted, you will troll it and pick it apart because 1 point should be spent here, another there.

Go back under your bridge, trolll.

:rolleyes:

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a troll. You should absolutely spend your first 3 points in Annihilation if you are going for an Annihilation build.

I guess in a way this is just more proof that we require combat logs if people aren't even aware of what dual wield actually means (your offhand is pitiful).

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a troll.

You should have a look at his posting history, he's a huge troll.

The level 12 Marauder asked for a leveling build, I gave one of a possible 1,000,000 different combinations.

Just because you think DWM isn't necessary doesn't make you right.

See what I did there?

You should have a look at his posting history, he's a huge troll.

The level 12 Marauder asked for a leveling build, I gave one of a possible 1,000,000 different combinations.

Just because you think DWM isn't necessary doesn't make you right.

See what I did there?

Of course, and you won't find me calling you troll. No, I've seen his posts in other threads and I actually think he knows what he's talking about. Based on your posts in this thread, I don't think you do.

Easymode does indeed have a great grasp on what he's talking about. He disagreed with what you've posted; thats not trolling.

I also disagree with your build. I would be putting my first few points in the Annihilation tree in order to get DS sooner. Am I also trolling because I think you're wrong?

Easymode does indeed have a great grasp on what he's talking about. He disagreed with what you've posted; thats not trolling.

I also disagree with your build. I would be putting my first few points in the Annihilation tree in order to get DS sooner. Am I also trolling because I think you're wrong?

He does, for the most part.

I didn't call him a troll for disagreeing with me, I called him a troll because of how he worded his reply AND 95% of his posts are troll posts.

I leveled a Sent to 43 before coming over to a different server and Imp side. I leveled as Combat (Carnage) and it went fairly well. My Mara now I am leveling as Anni, and it is much much faster and a bit easier. I love Carnage and will go back to it, but the problem I have with it leveling is that it takes so long to finally blossom and give good results. When I was on my Sent, the spec did not really start to produce until the high 30's.

Agreed, Carnage is a late bloomer. I felt it really took off when I finally got massacre at lvl40.