Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1.1.5 - death of rarity and achievements?!

Sky_walkerPL

The answer is because BW couldnt come up with anything original. It's the "holy trinity" just like every other MMO of the past 15yrs.

Considering newer and shinnier items will be available from new raids when this happens making the current raid only items obsolete, I dont really care either way. As I stated before i'd rather the items be part of loot in a solo version of the raid we could run with 3- 5 companions, at least then I would have felt like I worked for it to some degree. I wont be buying any of the items as I doubt i'll be playing.

How in the hell do you expect companions to survive raid encounters?

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that they couldn't, it's that they didn't want to.
You may be right, it is far easier to copy what already exists rather than attempt something new & creative. Plus they knew the trinity system works for some, where they went wrong was making OP's fairly easy to encourage maximum participation but that will never happen. Raiding as a form of endgame has been declining in term of participation in other games, Blizz even needed to add a random raid finder to boost numbers but I believe their subs are still falling.

They had no intention of claiming to be a messiah of astronomical change to the MMO industry. Other than adding in a 4th pillar, story, their intent was to stay as true to the Themepark genre as possible.

This is true cant argue with you here, i know that I had hoped for something different. It all starts to get a bit jaded after a while and I had been running this same hamster wheel for nearly 15 yrs.

If you want new and refreshing play Guild Wars when it comes out. Then be disappointed and come back. Because that's what usually happens with new and refreshing.

I'll definately be giving it a try, i've heard they will have solo dungeons like LOTRO & if so I may not be back which will be dissapointing. I really like the companion system in Swtor and think it would be perfect for solo FP's & OP's but BW are to hung up on grouping at the moment.

Edited by NoxiousAlby

How in the hell do you expect companions to survive raid encounters?

Common sense says that solo versions of FP's & OP's would need loot tables and boss mechanics to be changed obviously. They would be different to group content but most of the hard work with scenery scripting would be the same. But if Lotro can offer solo versions of existing dungeons then i'm pretty sure BW would be capable of it.

Edited by NoxiousAlby

I don't agree with the OP here. I am playing my third character to cap right now and still having a blast. The stories are why I play this game. Some people play for raiding. I used to play to raid back in LOTRO, but that game had the exact same story content to cap for every character once you got out of the tutorial area. This game has unique story all the way to cap.

IDK that this game is built for raiders and I kinda like that. It is created for the multiple story lines that tie into an overarching story. If you like BioWare stories and Star Wars this game is for you. If not, you may be better off going to a different MMO that caters to people that want to get "rare" gear and stand around in between raiding sessions to show off at social hubs.

I'll definately be giving it a try, i've heard they will have solo dungeons like LOTRO & if so I may not be back which will be dissapointing. I really like the companion system in Swtor and think it would be perfect for solo FP's & OP's but BW are to hung up on grouping at the moment.

I didn't even know that there where solo instances in LOTRO :o

The ones I did there where with small parties of friends.

GW1 can be soloed pretty much in every aspect, there are very few limits.

I soloed most endgame content while there still was a limit in the amount of companions except for one instance, just to prove that it can be done because some people claimed other wise, the old game has a companion system with multiple companions, where as GW2 will be with only 1, but that's fine since more aren't needed.

I have done the instances with guild parties a lot thou, playing solo all the time is pretty boring, can as well play some single player RPG's if I only want to solo.

My GW epeen thou is, that I tanked those instances successfully without the (really boring to play) cookie cutter tank specs everyone seemed to use.

The other cool thing that GW2 introduces, are world events where you can participate even without grouping.

Warhammer Online has something alike, but far from as flexible.

Another cool thing with it is that everyone gets loot.

I'm not sue about DDO, but from what I have seen all instances seem to offer a solo version.

Edited by Mineria

Wish I had time to read the pages of responses to this thread, but I don't.

Something that I think is worth mentioning, is that new better content will bee added. I am betting that the level cap will be raised, and your level 50 stuff will not be the best stuff anymore after that.

I am a "casual" player, or at least I think I am. I did not start out that way though. What turned me off to Wow was that once the elite minority defeated the raid in greens and blues, they forgot how it was possible to do it, and even though I had BOP items from the same raid, because my gearscore was too low, or I lacked the acheivement for actually clearing it entirely, I was not worthy to participate.

That is the direction the OP wants it to go.

You do realize that all the items of equal combat value can be get through various alternative ways?

And you do realize that gearscore-focus guys gonna exist in TOR no matter if you and me like it or not?

~OP

Are they? I haven't had a chance to do but Esseles (hope I didn't butcher that too badly). I play at very "off-times" and in fits and starts so I'm not a good "bet" in groups. Understandably people want me to, y'know, actually be there. :)

What puzzles me is that some folks seem so vehmently opposed to soloers. Gaming companies have finally seen that there are a lot of 'em (thank goodness). Soloers like to achieve too, in fact many soloers are the "wanna do it myself!" types for the challenge of seeing if they can and working out how they can.

I really, REALLY see no harm in having "cool stuff" for all playstyles. It would be financially smart, it would make everyone happier and, dream on LOL!, it just might stop these bickering threads if we all had a shot at what was best for our styles.

Yeah. Optimist...me. :)

I don't understand this. Why do people play MMO's if they want solo content? Play Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, KOA Reckoning, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Bioshock, Dead Space...the list goes on.

There's so many single player RPG's out there yet you want MORE soloable content in an MMO.

Many people play MMO's because of the social aspect to them. If that's not what you're into you have so many other places to go. Don't try to change the genre to your liking, go play a genre you like.

To make an analogy, you're signing up for a basketball league and complaining they don't give you the championship trophy for making 1000 free throws.

Edited by Arnathis

Funny fact - this topic got more views and replays than the "Official Q&A Thread for March 2nd".

I'm still amazed that there's so much discussion on thing I thought was obvious - getting achievement rewards (whatever these are magenta crystals, Ops speedrs, or other) should be reserved for actually performing required actions, not just being given away to vendor for credits.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand this. Why do people play MMO's if they want solo content? Play Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, KOA Reckoning, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Bioshock, Dead Space...the list goes on.

There's so many single player RPG's out there yet you want MORE soloable content in an MMO.

Many people play MMO's because of the social aspect to them. If that's not what you're into you have so many other places to go. Don't try to change the genre to your liking, go play a genre you like.

I love this regurgitated response. "Don't play MMOs if you don't like to group". Yet this game has a fantastic SOLO experience from 1-50. MMOs are NOT just about grouping obviously.

Typical copy and paste response that always crops up in threads like this.

People play MMOs for a diverse range of reasons. People have different play schedules / windows that may or may not accommodate group play. Therefore, devs need to support this diversity. Raid content should not be the only endgame. Nor of course should solo content or PvP content. There needs to be a mix and a diverse choice of things to do at endgame.

It needs to be the case that you can achieve good endgame character development regardless of your preferred method, be it raiding, small group, duo or solo or indeed a mix of all of these.

I love this regurgitated response. "Don't play MMOs if you don't like to group". Yet this game has a fantastic SOLO experience from 1-50. MMOs are NOT just about grouping obviously.

They dont get it Vin, you cant chat with other players in Skyrim, theres no WZ when you want to pvp, and theres no AH or GTN. I think for the most part solo players have been fairly quiet in most games but from the start Swtor seems to have been made exclusively for solo players. It's only when you hit 50 you realise that there is no character progression, so you start an alt. I'm on my 3rd alt and at 32 i'm struggling and dont see myself finishing.

To make an analogy, you're signing up for a basketball league and complaining they don't give you the championship trophy for making 1000 free throws.

I soloed plenty in Ultima Online, so please don't say that folks who want to solo are changing the genre', its ridiculous. There was very little i didn't see or get in that game. including owning a tower. I had the chance at a castle, but didnt like its location :p

And speaking of ridiculous, so is your analogy

I don't solo all the time, but i find it absurd when people say there shouldn't be solo content in MMOs, because thats not how it is or was....

Edited by Tic-

That's because they can't require you to group in order to level. Leveling is essential to the game. People would be outraged when they couldn't find groups for hours on the planet they're up to. It was already hit or miss two weeks after launch when trying to do heroics.

WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO PLAY AN MMO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO INTERACT WITH PEOPLE?

IF YOU'RE NOT AGAINST SOCIAL INERACTION THEN WHAT ABOUT OPERATIONS OR FLASHPOINTS IS ANY DIFFERENT THAN GROUP QUESTING?

HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE BEFORE YOU EXHAUSTED EVERY ENDGAME QUEST CHAIN? DO YOU THINK THEY COULD CONTINUE TO MAKE CONTENT FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP YOU FROM GETTING BORED?

AREN'T THERE DAILIES FOR YOU TO DO ON BELSAVIS AND ILUM?

Edited by Arnathis

That's because they can't require you to group in order to level. Leveling is essential to the game. People would be outraged when they couldn't find groups for hours on the planet they're up to. It was already hit or miss two weeks after launch when trying to do heroics.

Ask's the person who felt it necessary to shout (type in capitals) at others in a discussion. I think you just answered your own question Arnathis....... because many anonyous internet personalities arent very nice people.

Sorry but I percieve your previous comments as panhandling for praise and "nuh uh cause I say so" isn't changing my mind on that.

I sign up to play online games for incentives, challenges, and competition, not for facebook with an avatar.

So then why do you care if other people have the same gear? Panhandling for praise, obviously you didn't read what I wrote, but feel free to take what you want. I will take it that you lack reading comprehension. The only people panhandling for praise are those who need an item to show how uber they are.

It needs to be the case that you can achieve good endgame character development regardless of your preferred method, be it raiding, small group, duo or solo or indeed a mix of all of these.

Well, if so than TOR obviously is one of worst games on this topic.

In endgame you have two options: PvP or Ops/HMs. There's no alternative way of progression.

Single player dailies are an introduction to PvP and Ops, nothing more.

Space Missions are a joke. Especially with all-light armor as a rewards and uber-repetitive quests.

There are also some adventures - datacrons, magenta crystal, etc. but... most of them require multiplayer at some point anyway and there's too few of them sadly.

And... well, there isn't anything else that comes into my mind.

So current TOR definitely isn't a long-term game for single player gamers. It even truly isn't for those who look for MMO due to the lack of content, but that's a topic for different discussion.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

Ask's the person who felt it necessary to shout (type in capitals) at others in a discussion. I think you just answered your own question Arnathis....... because many anonyous internet personalities arent very nice people.

Don't play MMO's, problem solved.

And no I didn't answer my own question. The question was : why do you play MMO's if you don't wanna interact with people? The question wasn't : what about interacting with people don't you like?

Edited by Arnathis

IF YOU'RE NOT AGAINST SOCIAL INERACTION THEN WHAT ABOUT OPERATIONS OR FLASHPOINTS IS ANY DIFFERENT THAN GROUP QUESTING?

HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE BEFORE YOU EXHAUSTED EVERY ENDGAME QUEST CHAIN? DO YOU THINK THEY COULD CONTINUE TO MAKE CONTENT FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP YOU FROM GETTING BORED?

AREN'T THERE DAILIES FOR YOU TO DO ON BELSAVIS AND ILUM?

Shouting at people to make a point isn't exactly my preferred method of "social interaction" I think you're answering your own question quite effectively :)

100% agree

Don't use the genre norms to wedge SWTOR into a mold. It's not WoW: Get over it.

I played WoW for years, vanilla WoW through WotLK, and was #1 geared pally on my server (Arygos - Deelow -Guilds: GoM/Envy)

This game is different. Like I agreed with another poster earlier, I don't have 70 hours a week to raid and play to get to some content. I do agree with one point: Some things should be hard to get. Color crystals should be attainable though artifice and collecting in game items. Gear should be attainable through either grouping, dailies and possibly a solo type or w/ companion(s) storyline.

I say the game should be played how you want it, not how someone else tells you you have to play.

umm they didn't take away from your "achievement" you still have the memory of farming said loot and "earning" it so whats your problem? oh you dont want other people who dont waste there time to get it? to bad this is a modern MMO these games are not made for you if such a small thing bugs you. get ready for more "hand outs" in the future! :D

Shouting at people to make a point isn't exactly my preferred method of "social interaction" I think you're answering your own question quite effectively :)

No I didn't answer my own question. The question was : why do you play MMO's if you don't wanna interact with people? The question wasn't : what about interacting with people in MMO's don't you like?

Could you answer my questions please?

Edited by Arnathis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.