The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What are powertechs like for..

direblaze

i'm bord of melee, i want some kinda hybrid tank dps ranged beast so i was wondering what the powertech is like for.

pvp..

1 on 1

overall dps

Well, Powertech tanks are still melee. Or at least melee range.

1 on 1 so far (I'm level 32) seems awesome. I'd say I win 9 out of 10 fights if it's 1 on 1, though it may be like that just before 50, or against very confused opponents.

Overall DPS feels very nice as a Pyro spec. Felt pretty low as tank spec, but that's to be expected.

Oh, and if you're looking for hybrid ranged, you're gonna need Pyro spec -- they do use melee range abilities, but the least so of the 3 trees.

i'm bord of melee, i want some kinda hybrid tank dps ranged beast so i was wondering what the powertech is like for.

pvp..

1 on 1

overall dps

Keep in mind that PTs still want to be in melee range (any of the specs).

Sure we have long range attacks but it's our procs (all three trees have some sort of proc) that allow us to do the most damage and they require us to be up close.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum from Taugrim that has listed most of the usual builds.

Tanky builds are Iron Fist and Parakeet, they are both hybrid and also do ok damage.

For pure damage dealing theirs AP and Pyro builds. Generally speaking AP does have access to a bit more control with lower cool downs on grapple, interrupt, in combat run speed, but has far less burst than Pyro.

Pyro can do a chain of high damage attacks, and can even do some ok damage at range, but has no mobility so easily focused down.

Edited by Dharagada

I've watched a couple videos of powertech pvp and it looks pretty fun. I however already have a 50 merc in a mix of champion and centurion gear. Instead of creating another Bounty Hunter, I'm considering making a Trooper Vanguard so I can at least experience a different story along my leveling process. Is the vanguard pretty equal to the powertech? I know they're supposed to be mirrors, but obviously that's not always accurate.

I've watched a couple videos of powertech pvp and it looks pretty fun. I however already have a 50 merc in a mix of champion and centurion gear. Instead of creating another Bounty Hunter, I'm considering making a Trooper Vanguard so I can at least experience a different story along my leveling process. Is the vanguard pretty equal to the powertech? I know they're supposed to be mirrors, but obviously that's not always accurate.

Don't make a trooper, there are already too many troopers we need more powertechs!

I don't feel like playing the same story again.

Edited by LeggoMyMuoio

The only mechanical difference between troopers and bounty hunters is Mortar Volley (Death from Above in case with bounty hunters). The trooper version takes longer to start dealing damage, making it less useful, especially in PvP. Relatively minor difference, but you should know about it.

I would say that the main advantage bounty hunters have over troopers is their companions. And I don't just mean functionality of the companions, but their personalities as well.

Edit: this is just my personal opinion. If I had to choose, I'd choose a trooper, even though I like them less, just to see a different story.

Edited by xirinia

The only mechanical difference between troopers and bounty hunters is Mortar Volley (Death from Above in case with bounty hunters). The trooper version takes longer to start dealing damage, making it less useful, especially in PvP. Relatively minor difference, but you should know about it.

I would say that the main advantage bounty hunters have over troopers is their companions. And I don't just mean functionality of the companions, but their personalities as well.

Edit: this is just my personal opinion. If I had to choose, I'd choose a trooper, even though I like them less, just to see a different story.

Thanks for the input. I'm already getting a little bored redoing all the non-class quests while leveling an IA, Trooper would be a complete new experience.

Thanks for the input. I'm already getting a little bored redoing all the non-class quests while leveling an IA, Trooper would be a complete new experience.

The trooper is exactly the same as BH, but like it was stated above there are a few abilities that have a 1.5s delay before they do any damage. Bioware has acknowledged that and will be fixing it, I am just not sure when.

The huge advantage of trooper companions are that most if not all trooper pets use aim gear, so you just give all of them hand me down gear or your old mods.

In terms of the trooper story it's very military based and is a really boring and bland story if you go light side imo. It's too much I will do whatever you say, I am a stupid little puppet that will do anything you say.

Edited by Zorash