The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Pyrotech PvP Rotation/Spec?

jitsuo

The TD is never going to do the damage that RS is going to do, espeically with my spec.

Care show us your spec, because based on my experience, and everyone else I know, TD can do over 5k.

I should have qualified my "use TD on cooldown" statement with "but only on targets that you expect to live 4 seconds or longer". TD does more damage than any other "filler" attack, it does more than FB and more than RP, again due to the +30% crit damage. My favorite use has to be putting in on marauders at 10% health with damage immunity up, it goes off as soon as their lose their immunity.

I just run the average 4/6/31 spec, nothing special but it is all based around Rail Shot. I'm not sure if TD may crit for more but I notice more people going down to Rail Shot than any other attack I do. The damage is immediate and that is what I am looking for. If I can start a fight with IM>RS>RP/FB>RS I will take that over a TD>IM>RS>RP/FB any time. There are only so many situations in PvP where you are going to do a full rotation on one person. By the time I can get in four attacks I usually have to switch targets or interrupt. I'm in no way claiming any superior knowledge of PvP or this class, I just have tried using TD as a staple and then switched to focus only on FB and RP when up close and I have noticed significantly better results with focusing on FB and RP to get RS off cooldown as often as possible. It probably would make the most sense to use TD when the talent to reset RS is on cd.

Just to be clear I'm not saying it is significantly better, I'm saying I personally have better results with my playstyle. I usually don't focus on killing as many people as I can or doing as much damage as I can. I focus on healers, top DPSers and stopping people from objectives. So for me a more realistic rotation is IM>RS>RP>RS>interrupt>FB>Stun>FB>RS>Carbonize etc

My personal findings seem to be the opposite of yours. I see myself accomplishing more when I use TD, timing it with RS, and RS resets. Specifically on healers, and targets that have healers. I can definitely see myself having to do more damage to score a kill if I don't use TD and timing, which would cause me to have more "damage done" on the chart. I don't think that I want that, I prefer most KBs.

I'm going to try some experiments with TD in melee range and without and see if I might have overlooked something. I would say it is off cooldown the majority of the time already. I tend to run in to opponents with TD-IM-RS when closing the gap anyway. Also people just don't live long in PvP so I am almost always switching to an opponent that is out of FB range so I TD them also. I kind of feel like I never have the damage to burst down a well geared healer anyway so if I can keep them dedicated to keeping themselves alive that usually frees up my team to kill enemies off a lot quicker.

• 1 month later...

Since this post came back from the dead I am going to comment on what I found using TD to burst with Rail Shot vs. using it later. I found that when you use IM>TD>RS>FB>RS that is either to much burst or not enough depending on who you are fighting. What I mean is on a weak person they will die without the TD even added in there and someone with skills that used CD's isn't going to die from the entire rotation. I have found in certain circumstances if ther burst isn't going to kill them on the initial rotation that if I IM>RS>FB>RS> then you TD (this is where the 6 seconds cd to reset RS is kicking in) >FB>FB>RS can be more effective.

If you can kill someone with the initial burst I think IM>TD>RS>FB>RS is best, but if that won't kill them and they are using cooldowns that are gonig to stop TD I prefer IM>RS>FB>RS>TD>FB>FB>RS. The burst damage isn't as much but you keep up higher damage during the entire rotation and you use your TD during the time when you can't reset your RS by FB anyway.

I used TD spec for a long time, but since I augment for aim rather than power, this build is what I'm currently using. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301McZfhrbzGhMcZhMh.2

Although I lose a tad bit on TD burst, I gain a lot more in overall dmg due to extra extra aim and the aoe effect on explosive dart. Not to mention healers can't time their shield with TD bomb ticking away.