The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Pyrotech PvP Rotation/Spec?

jitsuo

im only a nubby too but, i would say as you are running in:-

thermal detonator - incendiary missile - rail shot - rapid shots (auto attack to get back some heat) then finish up with a (because you been moving in) flame burst - rocket punch...

then continue with flame burst and rapid shots as needed....

but most pvp rotations are situational and may require your aoes (which are much better damage)

but that is just me in a pvp situation where im expected to get ruined and needed max damage as fast as possible, a rinse and repeat rotation would have rapid shots in sooner to maintain heat at its lowest

Edited by Rocco_

Usually you want IM first, then TD, then Railshot so the TD hits right after the RS Railshot hits.

After that you are hopefully in 10m range so you can use FB, and then rocket punch when you get to melee range with them.

However never use FB or RP when you have Railshot off cooldown otherwise you may waste the reset of it.

For the highest damage output in PVP for PT Pyro, go with the 4/8/31

Usually you want IM first, then TD, then Railshot so the TD hits right after the RS Railshot hits.

After that you are hopefully in 10m range so you can use FB, and then rocket punch when you get to melee range with them.

However never use FB or RP when you have Railshot off cooldown otherwise you may waste the reset of it.

Pretty much this, although I like to use TD first, then IM so that RS and TD go off at the same time for the most burst. My rotation is pretty standard:

TD>IM>RS>FB>RS/RP, repeat (don't refresh IM until the duration is up)

I give priority to FB over RP on the first time around, to apply CGC so it can be reset by RS and for RS heat venting. After that use RP over FB when its off cooldown.

The highest PvP dmg output for a pyrotech is 8 8 25. Td is heat heavy and doesn't warrant a loss of 6% crit or 9% aim. I've extensively tested this and found that with a TD spec I top out at about 650k in a voidstar with 100% uptime and with 8 8 25 I top out at around 750k in similar conditions. Your rotation once you get the talent that makes flame burst and rocket punch proc railshot is as follows:

> Incendiary if you're more than 10 meters away (ie to start the fight) use thermal sensor override with incendiary (my mouse macros the two together)

> Railshot

> flame burst (you should be at 10m range at this time, of you're close enough to Rocket punch use rocket punch)

From then on it's basically a priority, use the highest on the list first if it's off cd

Railshot

Rocket punch

Flame burst

If you're over 40 heat and you do not have vent heat ready, use auto attack to bring yourself down below 30 heat.

There are many other nuances, proper cooldown use, the ins and outs of grapple, and other basic pvp skills (avoiding being thrown off a ledge with knockback is key)

• 1 month later...

4/6/31 If you are having trouble killing/finishing people. This usually compensates for below par gear. You'll be using TD as an opener and/or a finisher, while weaving in FB/RP and RS on procs. IM is very heat heavy, and should only be used if you are at range and want to proc RS. It should never be part of a rotation.

8/6/27 (or 8/8/25) When you are geared well, and killing/finishing off opponents is not an issue for you. I prefer 8/6/27 because it also fits in fine for PvE operations. Same as above rotation without TD of course, but I often find reason to also weave in EDs.

The highest PvP dmg output for a pyrotech is 8 8 25. Td is heat heavy and doesn't warrant a loss of 6% crit or 9% aim. I've extensively tested this and found that with a TD spec I top out at about 650k in a voidstar with 100% uptime and with 8 8 25 I top out at around 750k in similar conditions. Your rotation once you get the talent that makes flame burst and rocket punch proc railshot is as follows:

> Incendiary if you're more than 10 meters away (ie to start the fight) use thermal sensor override with incendiary (my mouse macros the two together)

> Railshot

> flame burst (you should be at 10m range at this time, of you're close enough to Rocket punch use rocket punch)

From then on it's basically a priority, use the highest on the list first if it's off cd

Railshot

Rocket punch

Flame burst

If you're over 40 heat and you do not have vent heat ready, use auto attack to bring yourself down below 30 heat.

There are many other nuances, proper cooldown use, the ins and outs of grapple, and other basic pvp skills (avoiding being thrown off a ledge with knockback is key)

Although this is true, yo do get more sustained damage with this spec, but for pvp youre gonna want to go 4/6/31 full pyro. PVP isnt about huge amounts of damage at the end of a match, its about burst, the burst capabilities of 8/8/25 is no where near that of 4/6/31

If you arent running 4/6/31 you would be considered a bad powertech.

p.s. this has been extensively tested by everyone.

Although this is true, yo do get more sustained damage with this spec, but for pvp youre gonna want to go 4/6/31 full pyro. PVP isnt about huge amounts of damage at the end of a match, its about burst, the burst capabilities of 8/8/25 is no where near that of 4/6/31

If you arent running 4/6/31 you would be considered a bad powertech.

p.s. this has been extensively tested by everyone.

LOL, I run 8/6/27 because with my current gear and experience I do not need extra burst, but rather opt to make all my attacks hit harder. Substituting ED for TD is very viable, eventhough it does less damage, but as a tradeoff we get a very nice boost to every attack we do, not just something every 15sec.

I played TD spec, when I was just learning the WZs, and gearing up. To say that anything but TD spec for Pyro pvp is bad, is like saying AP tree is as good as Pyro in pvp :p

HOWEVER, TD spec may become more effective with 1.2 changes, we will see.

Edited by Agooz

• 1 month later...

> Railshot

Railshot

Rocket punch

Flame burst

PvP is not about highest sustained damage, but about the biggest bursts. And there is no way a non-TD spec would do the same burst as a TDspec. For PvE you can run anything you want. In PvP, 31 points in Pyro is superior. There is no point distribution that can compensate for the 4-5k burst of TD.

PvP is not about highest sustained damage, but about the biggest bursts. And there is no way a non-TD spec would do the same burst as a TDspec. For PvE you can run anything you want. In PvP, 31 points in Pyro is superior. There is no point distribution that can compensate for the 4-5k burst of TD.

This.

Anecdotal Evidence:

A sage healer in my guild laughs at anything that isn't TD spec. The burst TD provides causes targets to go from 100% to 40% or 50% to dead.

While you might do more sustained damage in 8/8/25, you lose the punch that drops a healing op from 40% to 0% without the chance to spam his big heal for free. I would not take a non-TD spec to PVP, it would be like taking a bad sentinel with pull and no lol-cooldowns.

It's a preference in the end but for me I like having TD. I don't know how I would burst down the best healers without it, you wear them down a bit with your standard rotation, try to get them to use cc on you early, then when they are at half health pop relics and/or explosive fuel, drop TD on them and hit them with everything. If you time it right you hit them with rocket punch just as TD explodes and a railshot either side of it, critting on all of them. Edited by Vanishing_Point

My rotation is always...

Thermal Detonator > IM > Railshot > Rocket Punch > (Railshot)

This is because you get the highest burst in the absolute shortest time frame using the abilities in this way. If you get lucky, Thermal Detonator, Railshot, Rocket punch, and the second Railshot can all hit within about a total of 1.5 seconds of each other. This can almost outright kill some classes before they even have a chance to respond.

For me TD is an extra, not an opener. I always open with IM to get that dot ticking and second is RS and while running at them if I end up close enough to them to RP or FB (To reset RS) I do that next, if I have already done the IM and I can't RP or FB because of distance then TD is thrown in. I only TD when I am at a distance that I can't RP or FB and when RS is on CD and they are already burning.

My priority is to always have them burning>RS>Reset RS with RP>FB. Everything else is situational gravy. Never use FB to get them on fire when RS is not on cooldown. Unless your talent to reset RS (can't remember the name) is on cooldown always use IM to put them on fire. In fact I always prefer to get them burning with IM as long as I am not having heat issues, it is a for sure burn and extra DOT damage. I know it costs a lot but you will be pissed if you use FB and then have your talent reset RS when they are not on fire and you can't use it, and now you have to wait on the talent's CD before you can reset RS again when you could have IM > RS > FB > RS.

Edited by kitsinni

For me TD is an extra, not an opener. I always open with IM to get that dot ticking and second is RS and while running at them if I end up close enough to them to RP or FB (To reset RS) I do that next, if I have already done the IM and I can't RP or FB because of distance then TD is thrown in. I only TD when I am at a distance that I can't RP or FB and when RS is on CD and they are already burning.

My priority is to always have them burning>RS>Reset RS with RP>FB. Everything else is situational gravy. Never use FB to get them on fire when RS is not on cooldown. Unless your talent to reset RS (can't remember the name) is on cooldown always use IM to put them on fire. In fact I always prefer to get them burning with IM as long as I am not having heat issues, it is a for sure burn and extra DOT damage. I know it costs a lot but you will be pissed if you use FB and then have your talent reset RS when they are not on fire and you can't use it, and now you have to wait on the talent's CD before you can reset RS again when you could have IM > RS > FB > RS.

Then you are doing it wrong. A good opener is what I call the "demoralizing effect". When your foe sees their health go down by a good portion in 2 gcd, they panic. I say 2 GCD because TD is delayed, so you throw in your TD, and timed with a crit RS, that's a potential 8-10k damage as an opener. TD is NEVER an "extra". If you are specced for it, it is a burst MUST.

I'm going to pick on this a little bit. You're obviously welcome to disagree and present counter points.

By not using TD on cooldown you're missing out on a substantial damage increase and burst potential. Remember that your TD gets ~105% crit damage. But the real bonus is that it stacks damage from 2 heavy attacks into one GCD. I've seen healers at 50% prioritize healing others (probably at lower health) in their group get blown away before they know to react because of this burst.

IM is not a great opener at all times. I would say that if you're at 0 heat then it's fine anything above 20% you should not be using IM, but you said as much already. It's too costly. What I disagree with is this: the "downside" to getting your RS proc without having RS on CD isn't as much of a downside. It saves you the heat cost of using RS. Using IM on target swaps to avoid heat-saving RS procs will run you into overheat and fast. I would say open with IM and don't IM again till your TD is off cooldown and you want to TD-IM-RS-RP-RS a new target.

I'm going to pick on this a little bit. You're obviously welcome to disagree and present counter points.

By not using TD on cooldown you're missing out on a substantial damage increase and burst potential. Remember that your TD gets ~105% crit damage. But the real bonus is that it stacks damage from 2 heavy attacks into one GCD. I've seen healers at 50% prioritize healing others (probably at lower health) in their group get blown away before they know to react because of this burst.

IM is not a great opener at all times. I would say that if you're at 0 heat then it's fine anything above 20% you should not be using IM, but you said as much already. It's too costly. What I disagree with is this: the "downside" to getting your RS proc without having RS on CD isn't as much of a downside. It saves you the heat cost of using RS. Using IM on target swaps to avoid heat-saving RS procs will run you into overheat and fast. I would say open with IM and don't IM again till your TD is off cooldown and you want to TD-IM-RS-RP-RS a new target.

I can see where you are comnig from on that and in certain situations it really does help with the burst damage. If I was going to be in a controlled 1v1 duel I would use that rotation. Here is where I am coming from. A lot of times when approaching someone I throw in the TD on the way in, I only forget it when I am close enough to get off the RP or FB. The TD is never going to do the damage that RS is going to do, espeically with my spec. My entire focus is getting as many RS as I can. If I am in range to do a FB or RP I am always trying to get that. It seems rare that by the time I get a rotation done that I am still on the same enemy anyway. There are plenty of times when no one is in range of FB so I always throw in a TD if they are out of my range. Other than that I am focused on trying to get that RS to pop. For me TD is an "I'm on my way towards you attack", "you are out of FB range" or "you ran away from me at the last minute have a TD to take with you" attack. I used to throw TD in my rotations even when I was close up and I feel like I just did less damage overall that way. I want to be clear though this is all just through my observation and I have not run damage logs on it.

Chances are if I have you in melee range, I am going to kill you anyway. I prefer my TD to be a good damage ranged attack since we are short on those anyway.

A lot of these rotations are very difficult to have happen in real life PvP. Your enemies don't usually live through an entire rotation, or they are grappled or pushed out of the way. Also in PvP your target priority changes. You may be fighting a DPS then Mr. Healer shows up and time to switch targets and shut them down, or you switch to stop someone from placing a bomb etc.