Sawbones Battlemaster Gear

Mekklar

Not certain where to post this, here, or the PvP forums, seems that it's more focused here.

I'm rank 60 now, working on Battlemaster gear, and all of the set pieces have Alacrity. With our wonderful, diminished energy regeneration, this seems like a stupid stat to focus on. We cast too much, we can do nothing. With Battlemaster Gear, we can do nothing, faster. I'm using a Sawbones/Dirty Fighting Healing Hybrid: 28/13, for Street Tough for extra energy from Pugnacity.

Battlemaster Field Medic Enhancements:

Gloves: +40 Endurance, +20 Power, +51 Alacrity

Headgear: +40 Endurance, +20 Power, +51 Alacrity

Leggings: +24 Endurance, +37 Critical Rating, +51 Alacrity

Suit: +24 Endurance, +37 Critical Rating, +51 Alacrity

Boots: +24 Endurance, +37 Critical Rating, +51 Alacrity

Meanwhile, the Champion's Gear, at least, had some surge on it.

Looking over Enforcer's and Tech's gear, they have accuracy on all of the pieces, which might be preferable to all of that Alacrity.

Bioware:

Give us an option of something aside from Alacrity as a healer, like a second set of equipment or fix our energy regeneration to not go to nothing if we use our abilities too much.

Let me preface this by saying I agree that Alacrity is too prevalent on Healing oriented gear.

Accuracy is by and large a useless stat. It only affects the following abilities.

Charged Burst

Flurry of Bolts

Blaster Volley

Quick Shot

Headshot (PVE Only)

But Alacrity is not an entirely useless stat in PVP. There are two builds later on I will talk about.

Right now, each stat aside from power has a soft cap at an attainable level.

~400 Crit

~50-200 Surge

~300 Alacrity (This one might be wrong and is subject to scrutiny on our energy system)

~550 Expertise

I have read a lot of graphs and statistical analysis about Surge, some people like Tuskake believe surge should be kept at a minimal level. I have read others who believe that you should focus only on Surge enhancements. It definitely has value in PVP to bring someone back up from death or burst them hard, but the problem is too much surge can be a wasted heal, and it diminishes at a high enough rate that it becomes less desirable than power after 100 or so.

Ideally you would be able to gear yourself in Crit/Power, but that doesn't seem to be readily available.

There is enough Crit on the BM gear to get 200-300, which is a very decent amount, and get high levels of power. If you just get the Power/Surge Implants, you will have a very good amount of Surge, I don't really recommend more than that. I recommend you do get the Power Relic, I prefer to use the Matrix Shard Relic as my off Relic but you may like the Crit/Surge one for choice.

Alacrity will help your UWM and DS. DS is only marginally useful if you get locked out of UWM and everyone is fully HoT'ed. It is certainly not the best stat in the world, but the 280 rating you are practically forced to take isn't useless, especially since you should be nearing the soft caps for everything else. You can swap out those mods I suppose for the crit/surge variants on the champion gear, but I think that is a wasteful endeavor given that Surge DR's too quickly and it comes at the cost of 29crit/48surge.

If you ever switch to a 31/3/7 build, Alacrity actually is very useful. It allows you to fully HoT up your group with SRMP and Kolto Cloud because you can DS for energy. You can throw out EMP and UWM for bonus heals if needed. Alacrity = less time casting, more time HoTing because you get energy back faster from DS. This may very well be the goto heal build for PVP in 1.2 because of the revamp they are applying to Kolto Cloud to make it more front loaded.

It is still useful in your 28/13 build, as UWM should be your goto heal when you aren't the focus target. Yes you use a lot more energy, but sometimes a few tenths of a second is the difference between someone getting a heal and dying.

It is my understanding that power is more useful than cunning after you hit the softcap for crit, because the crit value for cunning takes a hit as well.

Edited by Omeleet

This is a problem with pvp gear in general.

The development team dont know their own game.

The PVP gear is so bad its sad, for all classes.

But smugglers got the worst of them all, with the most useless 2 set and 4 set abilities in the game, bare none.

Sawbones have it a tad better, scrappers are better off getting rakata and just handpick the best pieaces of BM from field medic, field tech or enforcer.

Look at the dps gear: It has more accuracy then PVE gear.

And accuracy is not needed in pvp, at all.

So we are forced to remod our Champ and BM gear in order to make it good for pvp.

As a scrapper, I need crit and surge. Now how much of that do we see on our gear, at all?

Not much at all. We see crit and accuracy, power and accuracy.. accuracy...accuracy..

Where I need 0 accuracy to hit my tech attacks in pvp, which is 90% of my attacks.

And sawbones, dont need alactrity, you need crit and surge.

Every scoundrel knows this, but not the developers of the game.

Let me preface this by saying I agree that Alacrity is too prevalent on Healing oriented gear.

Accuracy is by and large a useless stat. It only affects the following abilities.

Charged Burst

Flurry of Bolts

Blaster Volley

Quick Shot

Headshot (PVE Only)

But Alacrity is not an entirely useless stat in PVP. There are two builds later on I will talk about.

Right now, each stat aside from power has a soft cap at an attainable level.

~400 Crit

~50-200 Surge

~300 Alacrity (This one might be wrong and is subject to scrutiny on our energy system)

~550 Expertise

I have read a lot of graphs and statistical analysis about Surge, some people like Tuskake believe surge should be kept at a minimal level. I have read others who believe that you should focus only on Surge enhancements. It definitely has value in PVP to bring someone back up from death or burst them hard, but the problem is too much surge can be a wasted heal, and it diminishes at a high enough rate that it becomes less desirable than power after 100 or so.

Ideally you would be able to gear yourself in Crit/Power, but that doesn't seem to be readily available.

There is enough Crit on the BM gear to get 200-300, which is a very decent amount, and get high levels of power. If you just get the Power/Surge Implants, you will have a very good amount of Surge, I don't really recommend more than that. I recommend you do get the Power Relic, I prefer to use the Matrix Shard Relic as my off Relic but you may like the Crit/Surge one for choice.

Alacrity will help your UWM and DS. DS is only marginally useful if you get locked out of UWM and everyone is fully HoT'ed. It is certainly not the best stat in the world, but the 280 rating you are practically forced to take isn't useless, especially since you should be nearing the soft caps for everything else. You can swap out those mods I suppose for the crit/surge variants on the champion gear, but I think that is a wasteful endeavor given that Surge DR's too quickly and it comes at the cost of 29crit/48surge.

If you ever switch to a 31/3/7 build, Alacrity actually is very useful. It allows you to fully HoT up your group with SRMP and Kolto Cloud because you can DS for energy. You can throw out EMP and UWM for bonus heals if needed. Alacrity = less time casting, more time HoTing because you get energy back faster from DS. This may very well be the goto heal build for PVP in 1.2 because of the revamp they are applying to Kolto Cloud to make it more front loaded.

It is still useful in your 28/13 build, as UWM should be your goto heal when you aren't the focus target. Yes you use a lot more energy, but sometimes a few tenths of a second is the difference between someone getting a heal and dying.

It is my understanding that power is more useful than cunning after you hit the softcap for crit, because the crit value for cunning takes a hit as well.

Like to add to this that I have gone from surge to power as well.

And my crits are as hard as with surge, but none crits hits like a truck.

Power is the new surge.

And for relics and adrenals, its only power.

Tried surge adrenal earlier but now using rakata power adrenal and with a power relic, it adds more then 50% damage.

Thats similar to +50% surge, which you will just NEVER get, with an adrenal and relic you might get +25% tops.

But this 50% damage is also on none crits, making the none crits, hit as hard as a crit with none or very little surge.

I agree, I'd be happy with:

Power and Crit

Power and Surge

Less happy but still okay with:

Crit and Surge

That 5k healing medal is elusive with that -30% healing debuf. Alacrity won't get it for me, but any of the other 3 combined would.

I mainly pointed out surge because I can barely get it sometimes with what I have.

I agree stacking Power would be wonderful, if I could find it.'

I will look over the build suggestions more closely to see if I can tweak something, I do, however, love how Shrap Bomb breaks 3 people from capping a door for 21 seconds.

Almost as wonderful as the dot that Sorc's cast.

I agree, I'd be happy with:

Power and Crit

Power and Surge

Less happy but still okay with:

Crit and Surge

That 5k healing medal is elusive with that -30% healing debuf. Alacrity won't get it for me, but any of the other 3 combined would.

I mainly pointed out surge because I can barely get it sometimes with what I have.

I agree stacking Power would be wonderful, if I could find it.'

I will look over the build suggestions more closely to see if I can tweak something, I do, however, love how Shrap Bomb breaks 3 people from capping a door for 21 seconds.

Almost as wonderful as the dot that Sorc's cast.

I don't necessarily think the problem here is alacrity though. I think the problem is that medal. Any mechanic that supports greedy play is a bad one. The 5k medals/assassin medals are no exception to this. This doesn't mean I think Alacrity is the perfect stat though, it definitely is our least useful stat.

Alacrity actually has pretty good returns for short duration throughput, the problem is the game doesn't really encourage you to stack it because of that medal and the way our energy system works.

Anyway, hope some of that info helped. It may not be a bad idea for you to stack the surge/crit mods if you are after big numbers and medals from the Champion gear. I just think that the alacrity offers more throughput when you need it than stacking past the softcap DR.

Edited by Omeleet

It's depressing, to me, when I can Crit ~4950 in a WZ on a heal, just spitting distance from the 5k, while my DPS spec'ed Sage can heal himself for 5100 on a Crit. He can put out big damage and healing in a WZ

Yes, I also agree, the current reward for effort in medals for pvp leave much to be desired.

In any case, your posts are very helpful and I do want to thank you for them. I hope we get some better Enhancement Options in the future.

Alacrity is great in PVP. There's a point around 1.6 second UWM's where most people miss their interrupts due to lag/latency/slowreflexes.

What good is fast casting a skill when casting two of them will severely hamper your energy regen?

No. It is a useless stat for us if we want sustained viability in PvP. I don't care about interrupts, I have strategies for mitigating them.

Alacrity diagnostic scan???? ????? Free energy return ??????

also alacrity is very usefull for Underworld medicine into emergency medpac spam.

If you can get out the UM faster you can get out the EMP faster and thus you can start over again faster! wich is great. (except for your energy, but you also gain it faster because the diagnostic scan is faster)

Overused word award goes to the word "faster"

Faster.

Thinking about it, there are times in which, sometimes for minutes at a time, I spam Emergency Medpack on targets under 30%.

If Alacrity would reduce the global cooldown here like it does in WoW, then that stat would be useful.

Anyways, thanks again for all of the wonderful information and here's to hoping we get more options for healing pvp gear.

Bioware:

Give us an option of something aside from Alacrity as a healer, like a second set of equipment or fix our energy regeneration to not go to nothing if we use our abilities too much.

I vote for option 2: Please fix our energy management issues.