Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Disappointed with this class

xerofive

As Watchman I find myself not even using Blade Storm anymore. Slash is half the cost and thus more efficient and I'm also spending Focus on Cauterize and Overload Saber. Playstyle is more fluid when I don't have to worry about Blade Storm. Not sure if this is super optimal or not but it works just fine either way but for those of you struggling to keep up with all the abilities, it's one less to worry about.

As Watchman I find myself not even using Blade Storm anymore. Slash is half the cost and thus more efficient and I'm also spending Focus on Cauterize and Overload Saber. Playstyle is more fluid when I don't have to worry about Blade Storm. Not sure if this is super optimal or not but it works just fine either way but for those of you struggling to keep up with all the abilities, it's one less to worry about.

Definately dont use bladestorm. You get lots of abilities, but they are similar alot of the time and you need to determine which you will be using based on spec.

The class is not bad player friendly. you have to think and play smart, two things most people are not able to do in MMO anymore.

Troopers are like the huntards of SWTOR they are very very very easy to play. Sentinels are basically 25+ times harder to play then anything ever in wow.

Being a jedi does not make you overpowered.

You serious?

Sentinels are just like rogues in WoW. Keep up dots, keep the biggest damage dealers on CD, pool focus for burst management, etc.

Don't kid yourself, if you believe this class is harder than what WoW offered then you are delusional. Pretty much even in terms of difficulty, just some people are rolling classes they shouldn't and finding it hard because they are attracted to being a Jedi instead of picking an actual playstyle that suits them.

The class is not bad player friendly. you have to think and play smart, two things most people are not able to do in MMO anymore.

Troopers are like the huntards of SWTOR they are very very very easy to play. Sentinels are basically 25+ times harder to play then anything ever in wow.

Being a jedi does not make you overpowered.

even though i haven't played wow in over 2 years i hardly find the class harder or easier then any class in wow, it all feels the same to me if anything it plays almost exactly like a feral druid which were considered to be one of the harder specs when i played, but anyways if you consider a sentinel to be hard to play i would hate to see you in any non casual focused mmorpgs. . .

i mean it really isn't hard the class revolves around building up focus then dumping in a priority skill based factor but then again i hate to break it to you but using this combat system nothing is going to be "hard" by any means.

as for the class its self early game is the class worse then other classes? i'd say before 20 yes, 20 and up the class really begins to excel and i honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some late game nerfs, give it time and i guarantee that at 50 sent WILL be one of the classes people are whining about, go ahead and quote me.

Edited by RageFit

even though i haven't played wow in over 2 years i hardly find the class harder or easier then any class in wow, it all feels the same to me if anything it plays almost exactly like a feral druid which were considered to be one of the harder specs when i played, but anyways if you consider a sentinel to be hard to play i would hate to see you in any non casual focused mmorpgs. . .

i mean it really isn't hard the class revolves around building up focus then dumping in a priority skill based factor but then again i hate to break it to you but using this combat system nothing is going to be "hard" by any means.

as for the class its self early game is the class worse then other classes? i'd say before 20 yes, 20 and up the class really begins to excel and i honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some late game nerfs, give it time and i guarantee that at 50 sent WILL be one of the classes people are whining about, go ahead and quote me.

at around 20, which is what i guess you are, its very very simple, its later on when things cost more, it gets to be more complex because you have over 30 things to manage at 50.

its not hard, its just not wow mode simple, and anything harder then wow mode simple is impossible for 99% of the MMO gamers now

at around 20, which is what i guess you are, its very very simple, its later on when things cost more, it gets to be more complex because you have over 30 things to manage at 50.

its not hard, its just not wow mode simple, and anything harder then wow mode simple is impossible for 99% of the MMO gamers now

i got to 43 in beta, but i really don't think anything in swtor thus far is much harder if any harder at all then things in wow it feels about the same(not speaking for wrath as i only played for a few months after launch and didn't really get into it as i was playing darkfall heavily), you're delusional if you honestly think it is, its probably just the launch hype and jitters effecting your conclusion.

anyways that's not really the point of this thread back on topic, the class is fine and the reason i mentioned 20 is because for all specs the jump in power is very noticeable due to the new skills you get overload saber for watchman, ataru form for combat and zealous strike for focus, they are all very vital to the spec's.

Edited by RageFit

Definately dont use bladestorm. You get lots of abilities, but they are similar alot of the time and you need to determine which you will be using based on spec.

Well said. I think the people panicing over how many abilities we have to keep track of aren't aware of the fact that you're not going to be using every ability, it is dependent on your spec. E.g. Watchman doesn't use Blade Storm, Combat doesn't use Cauterize, both eventually get Slash replaced.

This class is "hard" in the sense that compared to a trooper or a consular, it takes a lot more planning and proper execution to achieve optimal DPS, especially in PvP. Not that it is hard to understand, but Sentinel/Marauder are the hardest to get to their maximum potential. Edited by Toppins

There's a lot pf truth in that. WoW has really lowered the bar on difficulty of anything but raids. Of course, I havn't raided since TBC, so for all I know the raids could be lame now.

I have not been finding it particularly difficult to kill anything my level or one above me yet. Had a lot of close fights and a few failures, but I have not felt like I was banging my head against the wall.

@OP I think you should be using T7 to solo. Kira is only good for filling a DPS role in an instance or something. I can kill same lvl elite mobs without my T-7 getting below half health, so you must be doing a lot wrong. You aren't fighting Champions are you? You should also be looking to upgrade T-7 into anything with Endurance, Defense, etc. Build him to tank. As long as you spec to deal a ton of damage, you should be fine. I almost feel like Sent is actually OP compared to all the other DPS roles except maybe Gunslinger. That spec is definitely broken. lol

Got Commando 32 and sentinel 30. Commando is so much easier to play - no problems what so ever, while sentinel is rather challenging most of the time. I went for Combat tree, slash is still my main attack until I get blade rush which is make or break - if it feels bad I'll respec.

At level 20 I use about 6-8 abilities frequently. Those I don't use (Riposte, Blade Storm) aren't even hotkeyed anymore.

Remove clutter, it'll make you feel better.

Still using Kira, no problems yet. Perhaps later on I'll find that T7 is more useful for the big guys.

Edited by Dekadez

The the OP, this class reminds me a lot of Warrior in FFXI. Warrior was a good low level DD but it began to tail off in the 20's and when the game first came out most people jumped to an advanced class at 30 and left Warrior behind. A couple of years into FFXI people began to slowly take Warrior to 75 and it suddenly became one of the elite DD's in the game, especially if you acquired one or two weapons with the "occasionally attacks multiple times" stat and buffed their acc and str stats. The class became a bit of a bezerker class.

I can't imagine BW designed the Jedi Knight to be a weak class. It is the core attacker in Star Wars lore.

What I anticipate is that this class will be slightly average or at some points below average at lower levels, and then for those that are willing to put up with that will find by the time they reach end game they have one of the highest DPS classes in the game. Especially after properly equipped with end game gear.

Don't give up yet! This class will definitely shine at some point.

You serious?

Sentinels are just like rogues in WoW. Keep up dots, keep the biggest damage dealers on CD, pool focus for burst management, etc.

Don't kid yourself, if you believe this class is harder than what WoW offered then you are delusional. Pretty much even in terms of difficulty, just some people are rolling classes they shouldn't and finding it hard because they are attracted to being a Jedi instead of picking an actual playstyle that suits them.

Wrong.

This class is hard specifically dependent on the spec. Watchman, for example, is far easier (read: Better) than Combat. Combat doesn't have the DoTs, and the burst is less than that of an operative. This is still the "skill class" of TOR. And yes, Troopers are much, much, much, much, oh my God much easier to play.

The the OP, this class reminds me a lot of Warrior in FFXI. Warrior was a good low level DD but it began to tail off in the 20's and when the game first came out most people jumped to an advanced class at 30 and left Warrior behind. A couple of years into FFXI people began to slowly take Warrior to 75 and it suddenly became one of the elite DD's in the game, especially if you acquired one or two weapons with the "occasionally attacks multiple times" stat and buffed their acc and str stats. The class became a bit of a bezerker class.

I can't imagine BW designed the Jedi Knight to be a weak class. It is the core attacker in Star Wars lore.

What I anticipate is that this class will be slightly average or at some points below average at lower levels, and then for those that are willing to put up with that will find by the time they reach end game they have one of the highest DPS classes in the game. Especially after properly equipped with end game gear.

Don't give up yet! This class will definitely shine at some point.

The class comes into its own at around the late 30's and early 40's (for Combat) and in the mid to late 30's (for Watchman).

Combat still needs a little love though as it needs to be able to stick on enemies and that is hard to do.

Wrong.

This class is hard specifically dependent on the spec. Watchman, for example, is far easier (read: Better) than Combat. Combat doesn't have the DoTs, and the burst is less than that of an operative. This is still the "skill class" of TOR. And yes, Troopers are much, much, much, much, oh my God much easier to play.

That's the crux of the issue. First of all, if you're under level 25, you (speaking in general) probably don't notice what I'm talking about as much. Dying was a minor annoyance on Taris and Nar Shadaa, but when I got to Tatooine, I almost wrote an email to BioWare begging them to let me change my AC or I would quit cold turkey. I am astounded that a jedi class (and presumably Sith class) is so underpowered given that so many people are going to end up rolling one, but then again, it's not all that crazy. They had to find some way to get people to play the non-force users.

What bothers me most of all is this. A Trooper AC can largely faceroll through solo quests, but I have to bust my behind else I'll get rolled. First of all, this makes me, as a jedi, feel incredibly weak, and second of all, where's my reward for all the extra work I'm having to do? All classes get the same quest rewards no matter how hard each quest was for their respective class. In Flashpoints, do I do significantly more DPS than any other class if I play properly? If not, there's little to no reason to play this class unless you're a masochist or, as in the case of many here, just trying to make yourself feel better about yourself.

Edited by xerofive

That's the crux of the issue. First of all, if you're under level 25, you (speaking in general) probably don't notice what I'm talking about as much. Dying was a minor annoyance on Taris and Nar Shadaa, but when I got to Tatooine, I almost wrote an email to BioWare begging them to let me change my AC or I would quit cold turkey. I am astounded that a jedi class (and presumably Sith class) is so underpowered given that so many people are going to end up rolling one, but then again, it's not all that crazy. They had to find some way to get people to play the non-force users.

What bothers me most of all is this. A Trooper AC can largely faceroll through solo quests, but I have to bust my behind else I'll get rolled. First of all, this makes me, as a jedi, feel incredibly weak, and second of all, where's my reward for all the extra work I'm having to do? All classes get the same quest rewards no matter how hard each quest was for their respective class. In Flashpoints, do I do significantly more DPS than any other class if I play properly? If not, there's little to no reason to play this class unless you're a masochist or, as in the case of many here, just trying to make yourself feel better about yourself.

The problem is that we aren't confronting BioWare with hard data on this issue. We need more than "This class can faceroll" we need to do this logically. We need to sit down, take down some combat logs, of classes outfitted properly, and say:

"Here is what X class can do."

"Here is what Y class can do."

And we need to prove that a class is underperforming at the same level of effort.

Then say to BioWare: "Hey, listen, yes we are equal to X class if we are the God kings of gaming however, we are equal to people who are less than we are."

The main issue I have with the class is the lack of tools. This is felt, by me, in things like Void Star (where every class but mine can get free kills by knocking people off of bridges, or can cap vs one defender on a point by a long term CC) or Huttball (Where every class but mine can prevent a cap by knocking enemies off of the ramp into the pits, or knock people into the fire or acid and get a free kill) more than other places.

Basically put...

If every other DPS class can do everything I can do and more through utility then my class has no purpose. So BioWare needs to either:

A) Give me the same utility as other classes.

B) Make me better at the only thing I can do than other classes.

In this game utility is power, and we lack that, our DPS isn't any better than anyone else and in some cases (see operative) it is worse.

So yes, there is a problem with the Sentinel, and yes, BioWare needs to talk to us about it.

basically this post is "i want to faceroll and win"

sorry but the other classes take some effort as well... if people have been playing sentinels for the better part of 6 months (and they have) and in REALITY were having issues they would of been changed to a faceroll friendly class... however players who are smarter then a pet rock do it just fine...

you see "mortar volley" and say they are better because a 90 second AoE that can kill weak mobs quicky is EARIER not better.

get past the 20s and actually play the class rther then just QQing and saying the class is too hard. Its not hard, its just not so simple a wow player can do it

get past the 20s and actually play the class rther then just QQing and saying the class is too hard. Its not hard, its just not so simple a wow player can do it

This argument is invalid.

1. I have played the Sentinel into the 40's.

2. I can play it, and I can be successful at it, and I can do everything I can do on a Sentinel (or Marauder) much easier on any other class in the game.

If I make it there...

Wiping to Lord Praven on every fight. Kira lasts barely 10 seconds.

sure feels heroic...

Just here while I wait 10 minutes in between revives. Like I would expect this in a single player game where I can just reload a save file after I die, but I shouldn't have to browse the internet for tips on how to beat a mob for a solo quest while I wait 10 minutes after every death as I learn how to beat this monster.

praven O.o the only hard quest boss was Valis lol. it gets easier when you get doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.