Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Disappointed with this class

xerofive

After playing a Mercenary during the Thanksgiving beta, I was really leaning toward playing that class on release; however, after reading the Revan novel, I really wanted to play through the story as a jedi knight. I'm beginning to regret that decision though since my jedi sentinel feels incredibly weak. I regularly get my behind handed to me whenever I face an elite mob and due to BioWare's penchant for placing them all over solo quests, I'm finding soloing to be incredibly difficult. Nearly every time I face an elite, I usually die 3 or 4 times and sometimes more until I finally win the fight.

I would have thought both Jedi classes would perform fairly well since I would imagine they'd be some of the most played classes, but at least for the sentinel, this doesn't appear to be the case. I guess I should have picked guardian or rolled a consular. :(

25 and Kira for story purposes.

mid level progression has been a problem for sentinels for a long long time. Especially when you are comparing them to other classes...check out my thread on it in this forum on page 2.

At used to be even worse...rebuke and centering were recent additions, before them, it was a bigger fail.

If I make it there...

Wiping to Lord Praven on every fight. Kira lasts barely 10 seconds.

sure feels heroic...

Just here while I wait 10 minutes in between revives. Like I would expect this in a single player game where I can just reload a save file after I die, but I shouldn't have to browse the internet for tips on how to beat a mob for a solo quest while I wait 10 minutes after every death as I learn how to beat this monster.

Edited by xerofive

make sure you've got a steady rotation down. Pvp alittle, even if you dislike it. I find it helps me pick up my rotation faster, and it's a good thing to do now, while there's still many people who are just pvping with no idea of kiting you.

Also, maybe try a different spec and see if it gets better.

I'm level 19 and so far feel pretty powerful, when I DONT slip up. It's alittle unforgiving when I do, more so than when I played my sage. I feel you gotta be constantly on your tiptoes with this class, what with cds and centering to keep track of.

Here's my rotation currently, if it helps.. actually, think of it as a priority system, if you're familiar with that.

Centering doesn't affect my rotation, but I do pay attention to it to activate Zen. That being said, this is my priority:

Master Strike (this must be on cd, all the time. Generally the second action I take unless it's a weak type enemy or standard enemy with half hp, use your judgement).

Zealous Strike - Fastest focus builder currently, although it's weak, it gives you the ability to immediately chain Cauterize and Bladestorm.

Cauterize (also to be on cd) - The reason I put this higher than Bladestorm is due to the DoT. I have a habit of making sure DoTs are up all the time. This may not be a good idea since I'm not in Watchman spec, will have to do more testing on elites..

BladeStorm - Switchable with Cauterize..see above. Both of them must be on cd after Master Strike.

Normal attack (can't remember the name) - Filler focus building ability.

Slash - Filler focus using ability.

Currently, this serves me well in Combat spec, though admittedly it's alittle early to judge. However, haven't had much problems taking elites down. I rarely use Saber Ward/Rebuke. Well, sometimes I use Rebuke for fun because it looks nice, but I rarely needed it so far.

Also remember to either chain your defensive cds or stack them, depending on the urgency of the situation. Remember you can also reset your Saber ward with Call on the Force if you have your companion out.

Edited by mavecryst

Also, another part of being on your toes all the time.. The priority system isn't the end all. You'll still have to judge when to use your normal attack to build up enough focus because Cauterize/Bladestorm are about to come off cd, while Zealous Strike is still pretty far away. So for a few seconds when you have nothing to do, you may Normal Atk > Slash x3, but then you'll have to leave enough time to Normal Atk x3 to build up enough focus for the chain in time for it. Not after they're available, since that's wasting valuable dps time.

Killed that guy. The first time I tried killing the sand demon near the end of the Tatooine story, he ate my face off. The second time around, I managed to kill him in a relatively competitive fight. Just seems odd that in one fight, I can die in a matter of seconds and then succeed on the very next attempt.

Something just seems not as it should be. I'm not sure if it's the class or perhaps ability scaling for elite mobs though even some mobs with the grey icon by their name (forgot what they're called) seem abnormally strong for their enemy type.

Edited by xerofive

Other MMORPGs have plenty of DPS only classes which are all balanced efficiently. I don't know what only being a pure DPS has to do with anything.

Basically, in your own way, you're trying to tell me that the Sentinel is underpowered and requires far more effort for what can be done by other classes, and you feel like a pro when you can take this underpowered class and do what most other classes can do with a 4 button rotation.

i got up to 22 on beta by just putting points into something i felt was useful and button mashing.

this time around im doing watchman spec and going with a rotation.

and what ive noticed is that ive died prolly over 90% less then on beta by doing this

but this is also due to the fact that ive had better luck with drops.

earlier today i picked up an earring with str/end on it 17/17 which helps out considerably

another thing ive done differently for fighting elites was that i use my medpac first get close to full hp then use the dmg reduction/defense abilities to prolong the fight in my favor

Edited by darthtrunkmonkey

It helps to use T7 on bosses early on since you can toggle his taunt on and off. You can start the fight with him on offense with you tanking with cooldowns.

Turn his defense mode and taunts back on when you are down around 30% or so health. If he is getting close to dying use your 20 minute cooldown.

There are also med kits that will heal you and your companion even after he is knocked out. He will stand back up and fight again. Use these things and these fights get much easier.

I am currently cl30 and am being beaten by lvl28 gold unless I pop every CD I have an eat a medpack. This should not be the case.

Not when I see Other classes that are clvl28 killing the mobs one after another without taking too much damage, if any. As it stands right now, Sents are way underpowered in the game. (Unless a gold mob that is 2 levels below you is supposed to be able to kill me easily)

I have a feeling that if they are not balanced soon, not many people (that pick a Sent.) will stick around after the first 30 days.

And, I understand it takes time to balance out the game/classes. However, This class has been like this for the past 4 builds... I sure hope BW is listening to the "normal" gamers like myself who want to have fun with their class, not be nervous about fighting a mob....

I've played Watchman mostly from 1-35, and I've had very few problems. The only fight I've ever died more than once in was a class quest where I was forced to use Kira.

If you want to make your life difficult, use Kira exclusively.

I highly suggest using T7 for solo questing. Keep him upgraded and things get really easy. I can solo some boss mobs - against elites T7 doesn't even die, let alone me having to take damage. Facing large numbers of weaker enemies is a Sentinel's real weakness (at least until 33 when you finally get your spammable multi-hit attack).

You should absolutely not have problems against single elite mobs; that should be your strength. Watchman-specs should be able to solo elites without a companion once you get to 30 :)

make sure you've got a steady rotation down. Pvp alittle, even if you dislike it. I find it helps me pick up my rotation faster, and it's a good thing to do now, while there's still many people who are just pvping with no idea of kiting you.

Also, maybe try a different spec and see if it gets better.

I'm level 19 and so far feel pretty powerful, when I DONT slip up. It's alittle unforgiving when I do, more so than when I played my sage. I feel you gotta be constantly on your tiptoes with this class, what with cds and centering to keep track of.

Here's my rotation currently, if it helps.. actually, think of it as a priority system, if you're familiar with that.

Centering doesn't affect my rotation, but I do pay attention to it to activate Zen. That being said, this is my priority:

Master Strike (this must be on cd, all the time. Generally the second action I take unless it's a weak type enemy or standard enemy with half hp, use your judgement).

Zealous Strike - Fastest focus builder currently, although it's weak, it gives you the ability to immediately chain Cauterize and Bladestorm.

Cauterize (also to be on cd) - The reason I put this higher than Bladestorm is due to the DoT. I have a habit of making sure DoTs are up all the time. This may not be a good idea since I'm not in Watchman spec, will have to do more testing on elites..

BladeStorm - Switchable with Cauterize..see above. Both of them must be on cd after Master Strike.

Normal attack (can't remember the name) - Filler focus building ability.

Slash - Filler focus using ability.

Currently, this serves me well in Combat spec, though admittedly it's alittle early to judge. However, haven't had much problems taking elites down. I rarely use Saber Ward/Rebuke. Well, sometimes I use Rebuke for fun because it looks nice, but I rarely needed it so far.

Also remember to either chain your defensive cds or stack them, depending on the urgency of the situation. Remember you can also reset your Saber ward with Call on the Force if you have your companion out.

I'm a level 25 sentinel and my rotation is very similar to this one. I rarely have any problems but one BIG difference between us is that I use T7 to tank for me. He seems to hold aggro well and routinely takes out half the mobs in a four mob pull. Even with elite bosses he tanks great and holds aggro like a pro till he dies. By then though I'm close enough to killing the boss I can out last him. Now I keep T7 geared almost as well as I am so don't send him in naked and expect to do well. Don't get discouraged, use T7 and keep swingin' dem sabers.

ok you are using Kira, which is a mistake... you need to use a companion that complimnets you not mirros you... you are double DPSing it, T7 is a tank.

The class is not at all underpowerd or broken, people are just playing dumb. This is not wow you cannot play like a moron and expect to kill everything.

The class is not bad player friendly. you have to think and play smart, two things most people are not able to do in MMO anymore.

Troopers are like the huntards of SWTOR they are very very very easy to play. Sentinels are basically 25+ times harder to play then anything ever in wow.

Being a jedi does not make you overpowered.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.