The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Has anyone done the champ commendation math?

NineInchNinja

Just wondering if people have added this up.

7 commendations per bag. Chance of an item dropping is estimated at 5%, which with the possibility of getting duplicate items, is essentially negligible.

Number of commendations needed for armour and relics: 635

(relics x2 = 48, belt and arms = 88, armour pieces x 5 = 335, main hand 123, offhand 41)

Number of commendations needed for implants and ear piece: (36x3) 108

total for full champ set: 743

It's not perfect math, but let's remove 5% of that for the random drops. -38= 705.

Divide by 7 commendations per bag = 101 bags.

Assuming you're not a casual player, and can complete both dailies and both weeklies every week, you're collecting 20 bags per week. Add 5 bags from commendations, and you have 25 bags per week.

So, for a fairly committed player, it will take 4 full weeks of doing dailies and weeklies to get a full champion set.

I am semi casual, and spend a fair amount of my gaming time doing PvE with my guild, so I probably represent a typical casual player. If I'm lucky I get 10 dailies done and 1 weekly done each week, and maybe 3 commendation bags a week.

16 bags a week means around 6 weeks of slog to get champion gear.

Why do I bring this up? I just don't think this is the best way to reward players who have gotten themselves to level 50. When you reach level 50, you should feel powerful, but in this system it will take at least 3 weeks of being slaughtered in 3 hits before you start to feel like you're on par with your opponents.

Many people, especially casual players, will and do give up on PvP with this sort of mechanic. As I've mentioned in another post, in my guild of 8 people, most casual players, I am the only one left doing war zones regularly.

I wrote a post on this here, describing why I'm confused and frustrated with this system, and why I don't believe tier based systems work, if you're interested.

Otherwise, does anyone have ideas for a better system than this?

It's good, it's WAY better than before which most of us others had to go through (I have 18 duplicates, and it took me more than 4 weeks to get full champion set) + if you're not having fun doing dailys/warzones, why are you playing the game? And at last, you dont need full champion set to be good, + you forgot about centurion commendations. /thread

How about any other gear progression system in any other MMO?

It's sort of irksome that a developer who i held in such high regard based on previous products is demonstrating such an acute dementia when it comes to game designs that are fun and effective.

At almost every turn, they have completely igored lessons learned from all MMOs before them and have tried to reinvent the wheel as a square. It's' completely amateur. It's even more absurd to me because they spent years in development saying nothing other than "we are taking lessons learned from the industry". Just a bunch of clowns from clownville.

what? Im seeing inflated battlemasters all around me.. I haven't even seen them in wz before. Gear should be obtained MUCH HARDER than it is now.

On my server, fresh 50ies imperials go to ilum and farm battlemaster there (cosidering u've been doing pvp before hitting 50 it's pretty damn easy). Then it's a matter of 1-2 weeks to get decently geared.

And it's not the way it should be... Battlemaster gear, every noob wears now, should be somewhere around rank 80-90. And ilum should be shut down permanently.

Edited by Stranger_LDR

Your math is so incorrect that I don't even have a strength to facepalm.

The 5% drop should never be substracted from total comms number. It can be 41, it can be 67, it can be 123. And it seems to be more then 5% or I'm the luckies guy in the world as I got 4 unassembled pieces from about 10 bags.

Also don't even try to QQ about gearing up speed, its quite hard to point out MMO where its faster then here.

Edited by Lerdoc

Just wondering if people have added this up.

7 commendations per bag. Chance of an item dropping is estimated at 5%, which with the possibility of getting duplicate items, is essentially negligible.

Number of commendations needed for armour and relics: 635

(relics x2 = 48, belt and arms = 88, armour pieces x 5 = 335, main hand 123, offhand 41)

Number of commendations needed for implants and ear piece: (36x3) 108

total for full champ set: 743

It's not perfect math, but let's remove 5% of that for the random drops. -38= 705.

Divide by 7 commendations per bag = 101 bags.

Assuming you're not a casual player, and can complete both dailies and both weeklies every week, you're collecting 20 bags per week. Add 5 bags from commendations, and you have 25 bags per week.

So, for a fairly committed player, it will take 4 full weeks of doing dailies and weeklies to get a full champion set.

I am semi casual, and spend a fair amount of my gaming time doing PvE with my guild, so I probably represent a typical casual player. If I'm lucky I get 10 dailies done and 1 weekly done each week, and maybe 3 commendation bags a week.

16 bags a week means around 6 weeks of slog to get champion gear.

Why do I bring this up? I just don't think this is the best way to reward players who have gotten themselves to level 50. When you reach level 50, you should feel powerful, but in this system it will take at least 3 weeks of being slaughtered in 3 hits before you start to feel like you're on par with your opponents.

Many people, especially casual players, will and do give up on PvP with this sort of mechanic. As I've mentioned in another post, in my guild of 8 people, most casual players, I am the only one left doing war zones regularly.

I wrote a post on this here, describing why I'm confused and frustrated with this system, and why I don't believe tier based systems work, if you're interested.

Otherwise, does anyone have ideas for a better system than this?

Your opinion is not very valid though, because i went from no pvp gear other than level 40 to full centurion in 4 days. A week after that i had 2 pieces of champion and i was far from getting slaughtered. 3 days of slaughtering isnt very accurate. Also to get gear that is onluy 3% below the gear of Battlemaster and get it in 4-5 weeks thats actually too fast in my opinion. I spent months getting pvp gear in other games and had no problem with it. when u hit 50 u shouldnt feel powerful you should feel squishy to the ppl who have been 50 longer than you.

Your math is so incorrect that I don't even have a strength to facepalm.

The 5% drop should never be substracted from total comms number. It can be 41, it can be 67, it can be 123. And it seems to be more then 5% or I'm the luckies guy in the world as I got 4 unassembled pieces from about 10 bags.

You are extremely lucky. I've gotten 25+ bags in a row with 0 pieces.

The system now is catered towards casuals. It takes a month to get relativley most of your champion with some pieces of centurian.

I've leveled a new toon and 2 weeks in I have full centurian, champion chest, mainhand and leggings.

God forbid you have to spend time to get better gear sir.

You'll have some cent gear to fill out the other spots... in 2 weeks you can have a full set of expertise gear.

When I hit battlemaster rank 60 I had an orange hat an orange lightsaber and a player made earpiece. I had 2 centurian pieces too.

That's very heavy gameplay. I'm valor rank 80 now and have 3 full champ companions where 2 have BM weapons. The other two are fully centurian geared.

I have nothing to spend cent comms on now.

The new system is better.

The system now is catered towards casuals. It takes a month to get relativley most of your champion with some pieces of centurian.

I've leveled a new toon and 2 weeks in I have full centurian, champion chest, mainhand and leggings.

God forbid you have to spend time to get better gear sir.

If Cye Gwazi can do it, anyone can.

You're forgetting the time it takes to reach Battlemaster rank and using those bags once you hit 60. If you're able to see strong combat in Ilum, that takes roughly two weeks with occasional warzone queues. After that, acquiring champion gear is effortless.

My newest level 50 was there for a week before full centurion and two champion pieces. He's now valor rank 52 and has four champion pieces with another on the way today. If I didn't have other characters to play, he'd be decked out by the third week, tops.

Your math is failing to consider far too many considerations. The grind for champion gear practically nonexistent.

You are extremely lucky. I've gotten 25+ bags in a row with 0 pieces.

I went 22 bags with nothing then 23, 24, and 25 all had a piece. So it is what it is, however no one should QQ very much even with no drops u can be fully pvp champ geared in 5 weeks. If 5 weeks is to long to wait people should go play something they can max out in a few days if thats what makes them happy.

You'll have some cent gear to fill out the other spots... in 2 weeks you can have a full set of expertise gear.

When I hit battlemaster rank 60 I had an orange hat an orange lightsaber and a player made earpiece. I had 2 centurian pieces too.

That's very heavy gameplay. I'm valor rank 80 now and have 3 full champ companions where 2 have BM weapons. The other two are fully centurian geared.

I have nothing to spend cent comms on now.

The new system is better.

2 weeks more like 4 days, i hit 50 on thursday and by sunday i was full centurion.

No you didn't. Champion bags are unique, you can only possess one before level 50.

U can save up 1k merc and 1k warzone commendations which is = to 5 bags. and have that ready when u hit level 50. maybe thats what he was referring to

I'm 30+ bags without a unassembled piece since they changed it, but I did get 2 unassambled pieces in the first 5 bags I opened so I take it as the universe balancing things out.

That being said, OP is completely glossing over the fact that within the first week or so you can have a full set of centurion gear and be doing just fine. If you are still having trouble in pvp with a set of cent gear you are doing something wrong. You might not be topping the leaderboards in every category, but you definitely should not be wasting a slot for your team.