It just sucks...

Matters

Went to best buy to see about getting a new pc but I only have 950 to spend. The total came to 1060. Mind you I'm running this game on a 6 year old iMac because it's all I have. Love te game but it runs like crap. Still manage to have fun most of the time when I'm not slowed down to a frame a second. Guess I'm just writing this because I'm sad and frustrated.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to best buy to see about getting a new pc but I only have 950 to spend. The total came to 1060. Mind you I'm running this game on a 6 year old iMac because it's all I have. Love te game but it runs like crap. Still manage to have fun most of the time when I'm not slowed down to a frame a second. Guess I'm just writing this because I'm sad and frustrated.

It's called get a job, unless you are 14 years old it shouldn't be hard, make a resume, leave it at a bunch of places and someone should eventually call you back, then you can buy your new PC without being angry or frustrated.

Yeah I'm coming from wow which ran fine but I'm a huge star wars fan so this game is a dream.

TOR runs like **** on high-end systems too so don't feel bad. You'll feel worse in a month when you're already sick of this game, wondering why you just dropped a grand on a new computer for it.

TOR runs like **** on high-end systems too so don't feel bad. You'll feel worse in a month when you're already sick of this game, wondering why you just dropped a grand on a new computer for it.

Runs fine if you have an i5 or i7. Unfortunately no other processors seem to be able to handle the zerg warfare in illum.

You can easily build a machine for $700-900 that can run this game very well.

Building PCs is so damn easy now (you pretty well can't **** it up) that anyone with 1/2 a brain should do it.

TIPS:

1. Processor, processor, processor. Get at least an i5 2500k. Get a "k" processor so you can overclock it for the future. Intel is the only option at this point, AMD is far inferior.

2. Hard drive speed and cache size are more important than total size.

3. Get a P67 or Z68 chipset motherboard to make sure you can overclock.

4. Video Card is not a huge deal in SWToR, I'm running on an old ATI 5770 (i7 2600k processor) without any problems. Get something good but no need to break the bank.

5. For ram 8 gigs seems to be plenty for SWToR.

I picked up the HP slimline for about 500 after tax (it lists now for $419 or so) which has dual monitor suport and plays SWTOR and WoW quite well.

But then again, if you want a laptop, then yes you will be paying more for "gaming" laptops with better graphics.

Just a thought 8)

Everyone who plays PC games a lot builds their own computers. It's just more money you save, and you get what YOU want instead of some prefab crap that all of the computer makers make. Go to http://www.hardforum.com or another site and learn a little. They aren't hard at all to build. You can get a cheap computer built that can play any game on the market easily.

You can get a Intel i5 2400 for $189, motherboard for around $120, 8 gigs of DDR3 for $40, some cheap 700 gig HD for $90, power supply for around $60, decent case for $50, good videocard for around $150-200 and a good 23" monitor for $110. all of this off of newegg. And the above specs would run every game out there at high settings at 1920 res with 50+ fps constant. BF3 runs super duper on it, and that's the most demanding game out there right now. Now, you could say "well PC gaming is too expensive". No. It's not. Because later on, you can switch out only one or 2 items in the above list and have a more powerful gaming machine if a new game demands it. And usually that only means a new videocard. My current rig I have had for 4+ years and the only thing I switched out was my old nVidia 8800GT and got the 5850. You don't need to spend $400 on a videocard, thats stupid. My ATI 5850 I bought 2 years ago runs every game just fine, and I paid $240 for it when it came out. And when I say every game, I mean DX11 games that are far far far superior than TOR like Battlefield 3.

Also, when you factor in how much you paid for that console, plus the average price of games is $60 (although PC games are now that now unfortunately), plus the HDTV you play them on....you already spent more than the computer. And at least with the computer you can do EVERYTHING. Console can only play low res games and streaming. It has no other purpose.

Oh, and don't get me started on how CHEAP PC games can get. Grab Steam and look at the amount of games on there. When Steam has sales, they are TRUE sales. Try getting a AAA console game 4 months after release for half price.

Edited by Buxaroo

You don't need an i5 or i7. The new G530 Celerons work just fine and cost a hell of a lot less than the i5s.

That's the worse advice ever. Do NOT buy a dual core. Quad core or more, dual cores are a thing of the past. The dual core celerons might be cheaper, but they have NO staying power. Every game on the horizon is utilizing more cores. Try running BF3 on a dual core or even TOR (which I do and its horrid), its a waste of time. If you want to go cheaper, go with an AMD quad/6core, or for future proofing, go with an i5/i7 Intel. Stay away from dual cores like the plague.

A) don't go to best buy, they are a bunch of idiots

B) you can build a pretty decent pc that run SWTOR pretty decently for 950 or less.

Look in the new player guide section for a thread about purchasing/building a pc for this game.

Try NewEgg or Tiger Direct. Both are pretty cheap and have good deals every now and then.

Edited by TheOnlyKyrenS

I recently bought an HP laptop as a second PC for $400, and it runs this game fine with the intel onboard graphics (3000), not at max settings of course, but good enough where it looks decent and maintains decent fps.

Also my desktop is an old dual core with an 8800gt and it runs the game well too. You don't need a rediculous machine to play this game.

Edited by YeknomStun

That's the worse advice ever. Do NOT buy a dual core. Quad core or more, dual cores are a thing of the past. The dual core celerons might be cheaper, but they have NO staying power. Every game on the horizon is utilizing more cores. Try running BF3 on a dual core or even TOR (which I do and its horrid), its a waste of time. If you want to go cheaper, go with an AMD quad/6core, or for future proofing, go with an i5/i7 Intel. Stay away from dual cores like the plague.

You have to be kidding. Like I said, the G530 is just fine for this game.

dual cores are bad when they only have 2 threads. all the sandybridge i3s have 4 threads. game runs fine on them. not great but fine.