The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

To Max your medals in pvp

Lysico

I have a question from a level 30 pyro spec PT.

Lately I have tried to run with ion cell and guard swapping while still doing as much dps as possible.

I find it really easy to grab the tank medals quick and still do ok in the dps department.

Are there any other "tricks" to keep a high metal count? Or do you think I am gimping my dps by doing this?

Again just started this last night but found the extra metals easy to nab and nice.

I have a question from a level 30 pyro spec PT.

Lately I have tried to run with ion cell and guard swapping while still doing as much dps as possible.

I find it really easy to grab the tank medals quick and still do ok in the dps department.

Are there any other "tricks" to keep a high metal count? Or do you think I am gimping my dps by doing this?

Again just started this last night but found the extra metals easy to nab and nice.

I think it's a good thing you're protecting your team as good as you do. In the end this makes you more likely to win and thus get more commendation then you would if you lost, even if you had more medals when you did so. I am sure your dps will be a bit lower when you spend time watching who needs a guard on them and not, but if it makes you win I wouldn't call it "gimping" yourself. ^^

I do the same thing. You will do less damamge. I can get top damage if that's all I do pretty much every time. That's like 4 or 5 medals though. I usually protect until I get 3 or 4 of those medals then switch over to dps the second half. I still get pretty high dps and top or certainly top 3 protection(not very popular it seems). This not only gets me 7+ medals every game, but plenty of mvp votes as well. I'm ops leader fairly often considering I'm lvl 32. In fact, this has ruined pure dps classes for me. I feel useless when I'm only getting 4 medals for beating with a sniper or whatever.

I run a full DPS build of 8/8/25.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMZfhMbdGhM.1

You will easily get 8-10 medal on all WZs as long as you use your taunts effectively, when you close in on a group of people fighting, throw your AoE taunt first and you will grab the 1k 2k and 5k protection medals without even touching guard. It allows you to say in Combustable Gas Cylinder permenantly and get that 300k damage medal without sweating.

As for the build, you lose Thermal Detonator which really isn't a big deal. It does good damage but costs 25 heat, you are better off with a rotation of Incidiary Missile (only if at range and if they are at high HP) > Rail Shot > Rocket Punch > Flame Burst. Its a simple rotation and actually is quite good on heat management with all the Rail Shot procs. If you are close enough, just pop flame burst and ignore the Incidiary Missle to save heat and pop Rail Shot with the CGS proc. Throw in as many taunts as you can and look for opportunity to drop death from above. Make liberal use of your trinkets and cooldown abilities rather then saving them for the exact right moment.

I run a full DPS build of 8/8/25.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMZfhMbdGhM.1

You will easily get 8-10 medal on all WZs as long as you use your taunts effectively, when you close in on a group of people fighting, throw your AoE taunt first and you will grab the 1k 2k and 5k protection medals without even touching guard. It allows you to say in Combustable Gas Cylinder permenantly and get that 300k damage medal without sweating.

As for the build, you lose Thermal Detonator which really isn't a big deal. It does good damage but costs 25 heat, you are better off with a rotation of Incidiary Missile (only if at range and if they are at high HP) > Rail Shot > Rocket Punch > Flame Burst. Its a simple rotation and actually is quite good on heat management with all the Rail Shot procs. If you are close enough, just pop flame burst and ignore the Incidiary Missle to save heat and pop Rail Shot with the CGS proc. Throw in as many taunts as you can and look for opportunity to drop death from above. Make liberal use of your trinkets and cooldown abilities rather then saving them for the exact right moment.

TD is only 16 heat.. I use it because it hits just as high as railshot does, sometimes higher. But I kind of want to try the other build without it too..

There are some medals for you, that are unattainable at your level, such as the 5K Damage medal. It just won't happen. Even in a good mix of 50 gear it still becomes a challenge.

You can, without being in Ion get the following relatively easily

-Solo Kill

-Killing Blow

-300K (More people group up in lowbie WZs so this is actually fairly easy to attain)

-10 Enemies Slain

-25 Enemies Slain

-2K Protection

-5k Protection

-10k Protection <-- Use AOE Taunts in packs, keep single target taunts on cooldown.

-1k Defense (stay near ball carrier in Huttball, or doors on Voidstar)

More difficult Ones:

-3k Defense (easy to attain in civil war, a bit difficul tin huttball or void star)

-50K Protection

-5K Single Shot.

With Ion you can get the 50K Defense, but being Pyro it will gimp your DPS a bit and make some of those dps medals a bit annoying to attain. (mainly the 300k). I have gotten 50K Protection from taunts, but it's rare for me.

I'd say run a ST Hybrid if you are intent on using ion, but at your level you will be horrible in those builds compared to full pyro. (They shine at 46+ when you can get most of the talents)

Edited by exphryl