The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Action Bar Setup/Key Bindings

LordsSoldier

Anyone have tips for a new vanguard on how to set up your action bars? Also any helpful key bindings would be a plus. I'm only level 12 so I don't have all my abilities yet but I always like to build muscle memory early.

Edit: Screenshots would be a helpful addition

Thanks in Advance :)

Edited by LordsSoldier

My kinda obvious suggestion is that you have the abilities you use more often (like Stockstrike or Ion Pulse) bound to convenient keys like 1-6, Q, E, R, etc. Have the center bars for the cooldowns you have to watch closely, and the side bars for things you rarely use during combat like cells, buffs, sprint, Recharge and Reload, etc.

Also Shift modifiers are useful, specially for abilities with AoE counterparts like the Stun or Taunt. For instance, you can have your Taunt on T and your AoE Taunt on Shift+T.

But you have to find the keys you are comfortable with.

Edited by Excidium

My kinda obvious suggestion is that you have the abilities you use more often (like Stockstrike or Ion Pulse) bound to convenient keys like 1-6, Q, E, R, etc. Have the center bars for the cooldowns you have to watch closely, and the side bars for things you rarely use during combat like cells, buffs, sprint, Recharge and Reload, etc.

Also Shift modifiers are useful, specially for abilities with AoE counterparts like the Stun or Taunt. For instance, you can have your Taunt on T and your AoE Taunt on Shift+T.

But you have to find the keys you are comfortable with.

Thanks for the advice, that was quite helpful. Although if anyone else has tips more are always appreciated.

If you bind "Previous Action Bar" to a easy to reach button (one of my mouse side buttons for me), you can switch between bar 1 and bar 4 with one button press. This means that you can use the same 12 keybinds for the second set of 12 abilities. It made finding comfortable keys a lot easier for me.

https://content.screencast.com/users/doubleatheman/folders/Jing/media/cde5921c-30e6-491b-9143-47880ec453fd/2012-02-21_0046.png

First off, I have HORRIBLE hand eye coordination, Using a shift or Ctrl modifier throws me so out of whack, I literally cant do it. To those that can, I wish I could.

I use the "F1" - "F12" bar & "1" - "=" for my main abilities.

The abilities on the left are all offensive, the middle abilities are tactics/logistics/utility, and on the right side is all my defensive abilities.

Every pair of buttons (ex: F1 & 1) relate or have a common theme.

1: Ranged attacks

2: (When I had gut these were both Melee range abilities)

3: Elemental attacks (3 Single target, F3 AOE) (The top ability is channeled)

4: Ranged attacks with longer cooldowns (explosive AOE) (Again the upper ability is channeled)

5: CC abilities

6: Utility/Movement/Logistics (Pull and Leap)

7: Energy Cell abilities

8: Crit & Damage short term buffs

9: (Least used abilitie) Just mostly use the AOE ability to interrupt people in Voidstar

10: Taunts

11: Tank abilities

12: More Defensive abilities.

Other abilities on my side bars are directly connected to a letter, H for Heals, G for guard, T for tank, F for fire.

My CC breaker and my Interrupt are both on my gaming mouse. (Again in a pair since those abilities relate in my head)

My main rotation IR>HIB>SS>HIB>IP>HIB>SS are all very close buttons, they have to be this way.

You may be thinking my left hand has to move all over the keyboard, and It does, but having to slow down and think "Oh yeah HIB is CTRL+3" would slow me down. Smacking "T" for tank is so much faster to me! Everything I do is a single button press. But all my left hand does is Target and fire off abilities. I do not use WASD.

All movement is done via the mouse, Its how I have played MMO games since the beginning of time. FPS games I am ok with WASD since they have less abilities. Leaving my left hand for movement and all my abilities would drive me insane.

My setup is far fetched and laughable I know, but its worked for me. I'm sure I could eventually get a better setup, but right now this is whats in my muscle memory.

Edited by MuscarKrone

I think it's pretty much a requirement to unbind the c, b, m, g, k, etc keys. Just change the non-combat stuff like character window to shift-c. It will open up your whole keyboard.

Here is an example of my layout.

http://postimage.org/image/h5yliesyp/

My advice is to make sure "target of my target" and "center target" are bound to good keys. I use Z and A for those.

Oh, and you're better probably better off with W, E, R for strafe left, move forward, strafe right than the clumsy Q, W, E, A, S, D system. Should open up 3 more keys just by getting rid of turn left, turn right, and move backwards, none of which you want. Or you could even use E, R, T...

Only other useful tip I can think of is your cd's. My offensive cd's are all on my home keys but with shift. Since my fingers rest on W, E, R, and space, I just hold shift, faceroll, and bam -- huge crits.

Edited by Godliness