Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Poll: ships they bring back the option to kill companions?

reaperkeepet

Title. If the option would be heavily labeled with warning signs, only some companions could be killed, I think it might work. Should they or should they not allow the option to kill companions?

EDIT: Haha, the title says ships because of the autocorrect on my phone. =\

Edited by reaperkeepet

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im always for more choices, so why not?

My only issue would be the upcoming whining and qq from people who act rashly and later regret it. No matter how many warnings you give - they wont help in the end.

Being able to "dismiss" them from your service with the option to recruit them again on their planet if you want to would make more sense to me.

The biggest problem with this is that after they changed how companions worked in beta, losing a companion could be extremely detrimental to the PvE experience.

When companions could be slotted with whatever ability you wanted them to have it was one thing, but killing off a companion that has become your primary tank or healer for questing could be game-breaking for some people. It was a cool part of the story and really made things matter, but the mechanic is much better suited for a single-player game than in an MMO where there is no "end." There's also no saving the game before you try it and re-loading an old save if it sucks.

The biggest problem with this is that after they changed how companions worked in beta, losing a companion could be extremely detrimental to the PvE experience.

When companions could be slotted with whatever ability you wanted them to have it was one thing, but killing off a companion that has become your primary tank or healer for questing could be game-breaking for some people. It was a cool part of the story and really made things matter, but the mechanic is much better suited for a single-player game than in an MMO where there is no "end." There's also no saving the game before you try it and re-loading an old save if it sucks.

Part of that is true but I'm sure they could come up with a workaround. Hehe, we know BioWare.

I'm all for it! And just make it so that when you killed a companion and regret it later that you can let him be revived for say 500.000 credits in a clone-vat. Problem solved. Heck, make it some long winded and tedious quest where you have to travel to some unknown region of the galaxy or something.

The way they removed the possibility to kill companions in beta seemed to me like a knee jerk reaction to QQ. It was a quick bandaid fix when they could have approached it differently with a little work on it. I like the idea I saw before of allowing them to be killed, and then players can replace them with a droid that fills the same combat role as the deceased companion. This droid would have no affection, no missions, and no conversations. It would simply serve to fill the role of the lost companion in combat, so that a tank wouldn't be without their healer companion, for example. It would also create a market for those droid parts that cybertech can make.

Wish they would allow us to do it as well. Along with a costly option to clone them should you need them down the road. Also, I wish that we could give anti-gifts to companions to decrease their affection. Like the last picture of a dead relative we smash before them then light afire. Companions should have a hate/fear quest line similar to the friended ones. As well as improved efficiency due to fear.

Wish they would allow us to do it as well. Along with a costly option to clone them should you need them down the road. Also, I wish that we could give anti-gifts to companions to decrease their affection. Like the last picture of a dead relative we smash before them then light afire. Companions should have a hate/fear quest line similar to the friended ones. As well as improved efficiency due to fear.

Clones sounds like a bad idea to me... I'd prefer droids.

One option would be to just make everyones first companion unkillable. I havent played every class yet by a long shot, but the ones I have all the first ones seem to have a good reason to bring them along anyways within the story. This wouldnt really put players at a disadvantage, so long as you have at least one companion you should be able to do pretty much any quest. Then yeah, kill or not take along others when they come up later.

The moment where I wanted to dramatically throw

Malavai Quinn that incompetent betrayer servant of that son of a *****

into the sun already passed... Not sure if it would make sense to come up to him and kill him now, in fact I think most people already got past that. Not sure about other betrayals and such yet but I'm sure most people are already disappointed the ******es didn't die anyway, and there's always the babies who couldn't go on with x archetype companion and cried during beta thinking you were only killing your companion as a practical joke.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.