Off Tank Raid Question

Arcasiel

This question has probably been answered before but I just want some clarification. Do you keep 2 sets of gear and stay dps spec and switch out for fights like soa and the pylon boss or just stick with tanking gear and tanking spec for 8 mans?

This question has probably been answered before but I just want some clarification. Do you keep 2 sets of gear and stay dps spec and switch out for fights like soa and the pylon boss or just stick with tanking gear and tanking spec for 8 mans?

I alternate between main tanking and off tanking on my Shadow and I've found it works best to simply stay in tank spec the entire time. DPS specs just don't have the same level of survivability that you need in an off tank and Kinetic Combat is still excellent DPS. The only thing you should really do is have a set of DPS gear you keep for those single tank fights with tight enrage timers. Honestly, I don't even use my DPS set all that often even for single tank fights.

great, this is exactly what i was looking for as i seem to have fallen into the OT spot. i origionally specced infiltration and put on tank gear/combat stance when we needed an OT but wasnt happy with the results.

now im 31/0/10 spec so i can actually tank in my tank gear but for the DPS portion (wearing dps gear) i was wondering if i should swap out of combat and into force tech. i was thinking i would do more melee dps and not have to worry about pulling aggro? i cant see why not but i feel like im missing something.

Edited by Fuggles

now im 31/0/10 spec so i can actually tank in my tank gear but for the DPS portion (wearing dps gear) i was wondering if i should swap out of combat and into force tech. i was thinking i would do more melee dps and not have to worry about pulling aggro? i cant see why not but i feel like im missing something.

I'd stay in CT the entire time simply because of Particle Acceleration. If you start outpacing the MT for threat thanks to your DPS gear, you can Force Cloak to drop threat or s/he can can throw out a taunt if/when you do pull threat. So much of Kinetic's DPS is Force based so the 5% lower melee bonus damage is largely irrelevant and the additional benefits of PA outweigh the marginal improvement in DPS based on using Force Technique (129 Kinetic every 3 seconds compared to 126 Internal every 6 seconds amounts to about 22 DPS difference which is going to be less than you get from a single PA Project compared to a normal Project every 30 secs or so).

I am a Tank I do MT and sometimes OT... 31/0/10

I have my Tank gear Rakata/Columi and I have Stalker gear.

I normally do not respec at all even in NM.

Yes the enrage timers are tight on NM but normally when I am not tanking I will change out of Combat stance. If it is a boss I know that does not require 2nd tank at all I will then I will use the other stance and DPS gear.

I have OT many mobs and MT them too the only NM that I have not tanked is the First Robot in EV and the Soa simple cause we have never tried them on NM.

I'd stay in CT the entire time simply because of Particle Acceleration. If you start outpacing the MT for threat thanks to your DPS gear, you can Force Cloak to drop threat or s/he can can throw out a taunt if/when you do pull threat. So much of Kinetic's DPS is Force based so the 5% lower melee bonus damage is largely irrelevant and the additional benefits of PA outweigh the marginal improvement in DPS based on using Force Technique (129 Kinetic every 3 seconds compared to 126 Internal every 6 seconds amounts to about 22 DPS difference which is going to be less than you get from a single PA Project compared to a normal Project every 30 secs or so).

yeah like i said, i knew i was missing something. particle accel buff requires CT to be active... thats alot of our dps right there so yeah thats my answer.

Why even use an OT instead of adding another whole DPS to your group? I've been single tanking everything thus far though I've only done 4/5 EV HM as I'm relatively casual in this game compared to WoW.

There are a number of fights, especially in KP, that require 2 tanks at a minimum: the second boss fight explicitly requires 2 tanks; the tower of hanoi boss requires 2 tanks (in normal, it requires 1; but in HM you have to tank swap thanks to a stacking debuff); for Soa, it's a good idea to have 2 tanks around in case your primary tank gets mind trapped. In general, it's a good idea to have a second tank around rather than another DPS.

There are a number of fights, especially in KP, that require 2 tanks at a minimum: the second boss fight explicitly requires 2 tanks; the tower of hanoi boss requires 2 tanks (in normal, it requires 1; but in HM you have to tank swap thanks to a stacking debuff); for Soa, it's a good idea to have 2 tanks around in case your primary tank gets mind trapped. In general, it's a good idea to have a second tank around rather than another DPS.

Haven't done KP HM but I've single tanked Sarg and Jorno on normal, the stacking debuff is also there in normal mode as well and I've single tanked him also. I've been mind trapped on Soa and I just tell our assassin DPS to taunt for the 8 seconds I'm stuck in that trap or w/e. Soa himself doesn't really do that much damage, the only reason I haven't tried a dps set is because of the pillars from the sky would slaughter me in HM attempts(If I ill time my cloak anyways).

Edited by ckoneful

We've done all of KP hard mode with a single tank. One of Jarg/Sorno can be tanked by a decent DPS (we had a commando). Fabricator you just need two healers on bottom with the tank since he takes quite a bit of damage.

I'm glad to hear that ops groups use both 2 and 1 tank in hard and nightmare mode, because I've been having a concern recently where my guild has started hard modes and I've been wondering whether I'll need to respec DPS to meet enrage timers - but I want to tank and don't really want to be a DPS shadow.

So hearing that it works with 2 tanks is reassuring to me. Thanks!

What about the loss of 18% damage and 3% crit in force technique with technique mastery?

(I am having this same discussion in my guild right now)

What about the loss of 18% damage and 3% crit in force technique with technique mastery?

The 18% increased damage dealt by Force Technique amounts to 7 DPS. Honestly, that doesn't matter. The 3% additional crit isn't even all that useful either. You'll still get more damage out of the guaranteed crits from PA with Combat Technique.

Just want to have the numbers right. With FT we're talking around 30 DPS total? What is the different damage from the PA procs--or is that just an autocrit?

FT with TM is 50 DPS compared to the 21 DPS from CT. It's a total benefit of 29 DPS and 3% crit compared to guaranteed crits with Project. At worst, it's too close to really say which is going to provide more damage overall, though FT still has the problem that you're not prepped to tank if the MT does go down or loses threat for a sec. As I see it, no matter what you're doing, if you've got PA, you're staying in CT.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.