why is grav round so "amazing"

utahegg

The only hard hitting worthwhile move in pvp for commandos.

Its a 1.5s no cooldown moderate damage ability, its good but not great. People whine because they die to a spammed ability thats easily interrupted by every class.... other than commandos.

Actually it is because there is no combat log. So people mostly "see" the grav round and conclude that it killed them. They are unable to recognize the demolition round, can't distinguish between full auto (quite useful since last patch) and hammer shot and barely ever notice the high impact bolt.

Thus they think that it was all grav round killing them.

Oh, and of course, there is an outdated video always going around, where a lv. 50 Merc in good PvP gear kills plenty of low levels who don't have equipment with expertise yet. Most people just see "only tracer missile on the toolbar" and "kills a lot". All the other information is lost on them, neither have they noticed those essential information, nor would they be willing or able to process the information, as it would just stop their beloved hating. :D

Edited by Sylow

They are unable to recognize the demolition round, can't distinguish between full auto (quite useful since last patch) and hammer shot and barely ever notice the high impact bolt.

As a rep player I am able to recognize signature move of BH mercenary aka "my diarrhea is getting worst" very well ty :)

Edited by Ryouzanpaku

I rolled up an alt to see what the hooplah was about, 2k tooltip bolstered at lvl 20 kind of blew my mind since that was on par with aimed shot from a gunslinger. Trying it out however the tooltip is bugged never seeing above around 1500 with 50%+ armor reduction on lowbie sorcerers.

With BM gear that ups to 2k of course but comparitively not so great when a top geared assault Vanguard will get the same out of instant high impact bolts with harder crits and a 50%+ crit rate.

For PVE grav round is great because:

1. low cost, decent damage, very high crit rate (+15% from 2 piece columi set).

2. Lowers armor.

3. Boost demo round damage.

4. Procs curtain of fire.

5. Builds charged barrier.

Gunnery commandos do great damage for PVE and pretty much everything we have is built around this skill.

2. Lowers armor.

Gunnery commandos do great damage for PVE and pretty much everything we have is built around this skill.

To build on what Lapp is saying, Grav Round is the core ability upon which most things you do in Gunnery revolve around.

By itself, Grav Round is basically a repalcement for Charged Bolts. Grav Round applies a "Gravity Vortex" debuff on the target. This is a 4% armor debuff, but it can stack up to 5 times. Thus, a full stack will debuff the target's armor by 20%. So, just the base skill does decent damage plus makes your other attacks more effective.

From there, additional points in the Gunnery tree make it even more effective.

• Gravity Surge: Makes Grav Round apply two gravity vortexes at a time, so you can get a stack of 5 with only 3 shots rather than 5. (Applies only to the debuff. The buffs are still applied only one per shot.)

• Charged Barrier: Makes each shot of Grav Round (or Charged Bolts) apply a buff to you that reduces damage to you by 2%. It can stack up to 5 times, so you get a 10% damage reduction with a full stack.

• Charged Barrel: Makes each shot of Grav Round applies a buff to you that makes your next High Impact Bolt do 6% more damage. This, too, stacks up to 5 times, so you make a High Impact Bolt do 30% more damage. It applies to your next High Impact Bolt, meaning that when you use High Impact Bolt, it consumes the stack, so you need to reapply the buff with additional Grav Rounds after using High Impact Bolt.

• Curtain of Fire (at 3 points): Gives each use of Grav Round a 30% chance to end the cooldown of Full Auto. When CoF triggers, it makes the next Full Auto also do 25% more damage.

• Demolition Round: This is the top tier skill. It is an attack that does high damage of its own, but does even more damage (5%) for each gravity vortex on the target, so up to 25% more damage.

When you add all that up, a fully spec'ed out Grav Round makes Demolition Round up to 25% more effective. It makes High Impact Bolt up to 30% more effective, and it can end the current cooldown on Full Auto, allowing you to use it more often and making it do 25% more damage when it procs. The additional damage for each of those is on top of the up to 20% armor reduction being applied to the target. It also can reduce the damage being done to you by 10%.

All of this is on top of the fact that attack itself does decent damage on its own, is fairly ammo efficient, and on a cast time/cooldown that the same as the GCD (Global Cooldown), meaning you can fire it once per GCD if you want.

That, OP, is what makes Grav Round "amazing."

Actually it is because there is no combat log. So people mostly "see" the grav round and conclude that it killed them. They are unable to recognize the demolition round, can't distinguish between full auto (quite useful since last patch) and hammer shot and barely ever notice the high impact bolt.

Thus they think that it was all grav round killing them.

Oh, and of course, there is an outdated video always going around, where a lv. 50 Merc in good PvP gear kills plenty of low levels who don't have equipment with expertise yet. Most people just see "only tracer missile on the toolbar" and "kills a lot". All the other information is lost on them, neither have they noticed those essential information, nor would they be willing or able to process the information, as it would just stop their beloved hating. :D

Exactly what I have been saying lol. My demolition rounds hits from 3k-5k(I've seen 6k+ with relic and adrenal popped in raids). People don't usually see it though as it is an instant cast ability that I use right after my grav round goes off and due to travel time they both hit at the same time making it seem like grav round just did all that damage. If they had a combat log they would be able to see it was 2 attacks that did it. Same goes for everything else you said. People assume grav round is doing all the damage because that's what they see us using the most of but tbh my grav rounds hit for the least of my abilities that I use(full auto, HiB, Demo Round). We use it a lot because that is how gunnery is set up, it is revolved around using grav rounds to buff your other attacks.

The real problem with gunnery is the fact it`s such an easy way to play. Anyone that has 3 buttons on his keyboard can do the basic function and top damage meters if left unchecked. (This also somewhat holds true with dps sorcs)

One grav spammer is easy to deal with in average pug warzone. When you have 4 of them sitting on some hutball ledge, everything just explodes too fast and it becomes really annoying to deal with them.

This holds true for lots of stacked dps classes. 4 dps sorcs sitting on some sledge permaslowing everyone? Four marauders force leaping always on the same target etc.

Gunnery mercs also get silly amount of advantages over snipers. High velocity gas cylinder gives 35% armor penetration. Then you add 20% reduce on top of that from stacked tracers.

Compare this with snipers meager 20% that you have to use a gcd to apply aswell. I won`t even count the fact snipers damage is reduced by tank stats.

tldr, one grav spammer in a pug setting is fine, stack them and all hell breaks loose.

every one is raving about grav round, why?

Raving, more like crying:

1. That person does not know how to play his/her class well when up against a Gunner.

2. Uninformed.

3. The Trooper does not know how to play his/her class

4. They just want to say "easy mode" as an excuse to why they got owned.

"The only hard hitting worthwhile move in pvp."

Wrong.

"Actually it is because there is no combat log. So people mostly "see" the grav round and conclude that it killed them. They are unable to recognize the demolition round, can't distinguish between full auto (quite useful since last patch) and hammer shot and barely ever notice the high impact bolt.

Thus they think that it was all grav round killing them."

Thank you.

Any trooper that sits around spamming GR in WZ is an easy target for my trooper and anyone who knows the class they play.

Grav Round applies a "Gravity Vortex" debuff on the target. This is a 4% armor debuff, but it can stack up to 5 times. Thus, a full stack will debuff the target's armor by 20%. So, just the base skill does decent damage plus makes your other attacks more effective.

Don't forget this debuff seems to be cumulative by multiple players. I ran yesterday a PUG Vault, we were 3 commandos, and what's left of Soa's brain is still wondering what happened to him :p

does grav round debuff stack with other grav round and armor pen. debuffs on bosses? when you have 2+ gunmandos in the same raid?

All armor debuffs are shown as separate stacks. Right now it seems the demo round damage is increased for all grav round stacks on a boss (even those that aren't yours). I assume they will change that at some point though.

does grav round debuff stack with other grav round and armor pen. debuffs on bosses? when you have 2+ gunmandos in the same raid?

Yep. We had a Vanguard bro talking about a trio of Commandos who were DPSing as Gunnery on a big mob.

They were seeing 8.5/9K crits from having 3 full GR stacks, and of course it helps everyone else too.

2. Lowers armor.

It boosts both demo round, high impact and full auto. Mostly its just so many benefits wrapped up into one single, spammable, ranged attack. Not to mention the benefits it gives to everyone else in your group who might be attacking the target. Gunnery is a simple, maintainable 4 button rotation that gives excellent damage.

Even if they display combat logs, you still have the same issue where one skill does so much for you.

Edited by nitrob