The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

I am disappointed to see the cross realm LFG tool being talked about as a future addition to the game. I was really hoping to keep that out of TOR just because of it's ability to destroy community in a game. I would be all for LFG server wide but cross realm is a no go for me.

I have never understood why people feel that this kills community. Even in game that have that tool the best groups are built from you guildmates and from your friends list. If you are playing at a time that is not part of your normal schedule or do not like the politics that guilds generally devolve into, such a tool and especially a cross server tool that aids this lets you experience parts of the game that you would otherwise miss.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little known fact about WoW's LFD tool. Sometime during Cataclysm they modified it to try to form groups with as many people from the same server as possible. So if there were 5 people (with the right composition and gear level) from a single server looking for a group, it would match those people together. There's no reason why they couldn't do something similar in SWTOR.

That is exactly what i dont understand......exactly HOW will it kill the community? Not being able to add to your ignore list? Why does it matter...I simply don't understand how spamming General chat is a better community then just clicking a button and going to smash things into oblivion for fun....

It doesn't. Here's standard social interaction;

Awesorc: Healer LFG for dungeon!

<LeaderGuy invites you to the group>

/end social interaction.

Our community can not survive without the LFG's sitting in our chat log! What ever will we do!

Can't see why anyone objects to an LFG tool. Right now the chance of getting a group on the average server on any flashpoint other than BT is low to non-existent. Sure you can put a LFG flag by your name but people aren’t using the flagging tool. Last night I checked in prime time. There was a total of four people with flags and all were looking for HM BT. Unless you are looking for BT, your only choice is to park your character at the station and spam general chat…..for…a…long…time if you are a dps.

With the “game we need not mention” cross server tool, there is still a respectable delay in getting a group if you added as a DPS but you are free to do other things while you wait. At level 50 SWTOR seems to have reduced the average player to becoming a permanent resident at the space station spamming the general chat. Not my idea of fun. Maybe that’s what people mean by preserving the “community” in the game.

At the very least, the developers need to add a server wide LFG chat channel. LFG flagging doesn’t seem to be a useful tool if no one is using it. Nothing short of at least a server wide LFG will fix the misery that is finding a flashpoint. Unless you are in an active guild and can fill groups from your guild chat, you are given only two realistic options right now. Park your behind at the station and hope chat spamming works or give up on the idea of doing flashpoints.

...snip

With the “game we need not mention” cross server tool, there is still a respectable delay in getting a group if you added as a DPS but you are free to do other things while you wait. At level 50 SWTOR seems to have reduced the average player to becoming a permanent resident at the space station spamming the general chat. Not my idea of fun. Maybe that’s what people mean by preserving the “community” in the game.

I still play that game, and I'm gearing some DPS characters through the queue, it's 10 mins peak, 20 way off peak lately, a far cry from the queues at the start of Cata. And this is a pretty deep lull in that game right now. So, it is possible to significantly reduce times for DPS through a queue.

As for this game, I don't even look for FP groups anymore. I socialize enough in guild and when I'm questing, but after trying for the past 20 levels or so it's just not worth the time. It's a shame too because my guildies tell me the FPs are fun.

Getting people in the game running the content can only help the community. Automate the grouping, with a port to the entrance and back too, and make it cross server if the numbers show that queue times are too high. There needs to be a reason for people to get in game and stay there, right now that seems to be lacking for me. Based on a lot of the threads here, I'm not alone.

Please BW. All you have to do is look at what things like cross realm LFG, addons, dps meters, etc have done to the community in other games... Don't do that to this awesome game.

Don't bow to these MMO newcomers who have only experienced 1 terrible MMO (you know what i'm talking about) and think that's the way they all should be.

Do what you promised us and make the best game possible with an actual, thriving community and awesome Star Wars stories told in that awesome BW way!

I dont see a cross server LFG being a bad thing if they only make it one or two severs... as long as you have a respectable chance of seeing someone familiar multiple times I would be happy. It worked in Rift, if they impliment it here it will work here as well. I just hope they dont MASH 15-20 servers into the same rotation.. that would be HORRIBLE.

Also learn from the mistakes other games have made.. Add penalties for queing with a tank and then the tank drops for faster que times.

Figured I'd give it some months to see how the in-game community stood on my shard....

And... well.... It's dead Jim.

Walking around the republic fleet at 11pm GMT.... 4 people there.

Visit the capital city for either Sith or republic around the same time of day, lucky if the figure reaches double digits. Generally it's around 7-8 people.

So except for server merging, a cross shard-LFG tool is probably a good idea if the idea is for people to actually be able to access content when they want, rather than having to wait 12-13 hours or more for the single populated time frame on their shard to come around.

Please BW. All you have to do is look at what things like cross realm LFG, addons, dps meters, etc have done to the community in other games... Don't do that to this awesome game.

Don't bow to these MMO newcomers who have only experienced 1 terrible MMO (you know what i'm talking about) and think that's the way they all should be.

Do what you promised us and make the best game possible with an actual, thriving community and awesome Star Wars stories told in that awesome BW way!

Yes, don't let those "other MMO with 10m subscribers because it's crappy" dictate how this god-sent MMO should be. No, you have everything right BW, you are the MMO messiah!

Please, keep doing what you do and take my money for this half-*****ed game of yours, almighty BW.

Calling the most successful MMORPG in history terrible is hilarious, it's fine not to like it but give credit where credit is due.

Figured I'd give it some months to see how the in-game community stood on my shard....

And... well.... It's dead Jim.

Walking around the republic fleet at 11pm GMT.... 4 people there.

Visit the capital city for either Sith or republic around the same time of day, lucky if the figure reaches double digits. Generally it's around 7-8 people.

So except for server merging, a cross shard-LFG tool is probably a good idea if the idea is for people to actually be able to access content when they want, rather than having to wait 12-13 hours or more for the single populated time frame on their shard to come around.

I think they freaked out when all the servers filled up at headstart and just made too many extra servers. Hopefully they know that too and don't try to bandaid it with all kinds of cross server stuff.

JUST MERGE THE SERVERS BW.

The gaming community might take shots at you for it (its usually a sign that a game is dying) but anyone that has been playing knows the truth. You just freaked a little and made too many servers too fast after the huge success of the headstart.

This was you guys' first go around and lord knows EA never experienced anything like what happened at headstart with one of their MMOs. Just bite the bullet, take your medicine, etc. Merge the servers.

Of course this kills communities.

Wow had an awesome community prior to the Xserver. I was there in Vanilla and up and man there is such a stark contrast.

You say you get annoyed with people that think they own the place cause of the server, that is nothing compared to losing gear to everyone that decided tanking was too hard to do, so they would dps while they stole all the tank gear from the tank.

Seriously Cross Server does nothing but cause issues. Read any other MMO forum and you will find people that want new ways to kick, ban, or not group with players from other realms. I don't want to talk to people or interact with people that I can't ignore on my server, that i can't later post pictures or videos of them being a *********** *** hat.

You can't stop idiots if the "community" is removed by a function built into the game to prevent you from playing with those that directly affect you and your reputation.

I left Rift for this hoping they wouldn't do that bs.

Lame. :eek:

I am disappointed to see the cross realm LFG tool being talked about as a future addition to the game. I was really hoping to keep that out of TOR just because of it's ability to destroy community in a game. I would be all for LFG server wide but cross realm is a no go for me.

You seriously care that much about running into me on our server, seeing me pass by every now and again, only to see eachother sporadically in dungeons? Sorry, I'd rather get in the dungeon faster man. I appreciate your sense of community, but really, aside from guilds (which you can just queue together anyway) who cares about seeing other people repeatedly.

Calling the most successful MMORPG in history terrible is hilarious, it's fine not to like it but give credit where credit is due.

It has gotten terrible. IMO of course.

No doubt that it changed the way MMOs are played/made... But not everyone out there thinks it's a change for the best. The game might be wildly popular but there's no community to speak of in it. And no, knowing the names of people who stand around Org/SW with the best, shiniest gear on is not a community.

Just saying, hope BW does their own thing and doesn't bow to this ridiculous idea that you have to copy everything in that game to be successful. There were tons of MMOs before that game came around and there'll be tons after it's long gone.

It has gotten terrible. IMO of course.

No doubt that it changed the way MMOs are played/made... But not everyone out there thinks it's a change for the best. The game might be wildly popular but there's no community to speak of in it. And no, knowing the names of people who stand around Org/SW with the best, shiniest gear on is not a community.

Just saying, hope BW does their own thing and doesn't bow to this ridiculous idea that you have to copy everything in that game to be successful. There were tons of MMOs before that game came around and there'll be tons after it's long gone.

I am not sure what you define as community? I am in a 10 main raid guild in WoW and we are all ready good friends who met in the game. We always talk on vent, we raid every week, and have fun. We all met and became friends at the end of LK meaning after the LFD was introduced. We even chat and drink when we are not raiding.

Is that the terrible WoW community everyone is talking about?

Edited by Reevax

You seriously care that much about running into me on our server, seeing me pass by every now and again, only to see eachother sporadically in dungeons? Sorry, I'd rather get in the dungeon faster man. I appreciate your sense of community, but really, aside from guilds (which you can just queue together anyway) who cares about seeing other people repeatedly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I WANT INSTANT GRATIFICATION<ME, ME, ME

That is what you say with You want LFD X-Server, and to hell with the people on your server.

If they do, and I hope that they do not, implement a X-Server LFD type mechanic, may you all get your own single person type servers and keep it just between you.

^^^

This. This is what's wrong in a nutshell. Everyone just wants their loot and they want it now.

This idea of instant gratification only compounds and compounds until you can't keep up with the expectation that you've set and next thing you know you're releasing a KUNG FU PANDA expansion... :mad:

I remember waiting for 2 weeks in SWG to catch the best armorsmith on the server to make my order. This is after it took me 2 weeks to farm the best mats. THAT was the most memorable equipment I've ever "earned" in a game because i had to work for it.

In this game and others like it I'd make an alt and have them max armorsmith in less than a week then buy the mats on the GTN... what fun is that?

^^^

This idea of instant gratification only compounds and compounds until you can't keep up with the expectation that you've set and next thing you know you're releasing a KUNG FU PANDA expansion... :mad:

that kung-fu panda expansion is bound to eat up the remaining subs in this game. just saying.

that kung-fu panda expansion is bound to eat up the remaining subs in this game. just saying.

If that was supposed to discourage me... it doesn't :D

The kind of people that would leave this game for... that... we're better off without them. Trust me.

I'll leave you guys with this. And hopefully a BW dev takes note. Maybe one of you mods can copy this down and shoot it over. ;)

Is Star Wars the best movie franchise ever because it's made all that money?

No!

It's made all that money because it's the best movie franchise ever

Is BW defined by the fact that they singlehandedly changed the RPG genre?

No!

They singlehandedly changed the RPG genre because of who they are and how they do things

Make the best BioWare, Star Wars game you can and people will play it. In droves, and for a long time

Don't bow to the pressures of the short sighted who would have you make another *** clone just because that's what they're used to. How has that turned out for Rift? A game that started with so much potential...

I'll leave you guys with this. And hopefully a BW dev takes note. Maybe one of you mods can copy this down and shoot it over. ;)

Is Star Wars the best movie franchise ever because it's made all that money?

No!

It's made all that money because it's the best movie franchise ever

Is BW defined by the fact that they singlehandedly changed the RPG genre?

No!

They singlehandedly changed the RPG genre because of who they are and how they do things

Make the best BioWare, Star Wars game you can and people will play it. In droves, and for a long time

Don't bow to the pressures of the short sighted who would have you make another *** clone just because that's what they're used to. How has that turned out for Rift? A game that started with so much potential...

yeah, swtor is also just that right now, mostly potential. the way things are going, it's going to be just that for a while :)

maybe they should release the server code so someone could come up with a private server before they close down. you know, so fanboys can keep swinging their lightsabers of awesomeness :D