$5000 computer + SWTOR

ZedFighter

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I played TERA closed Beta on my $500 laptop... Let me tell you... It was stunning.

Yup. Hi rez texture pack wasn't even in last week too. That being said, Unreal 3 engine wins every time.

Edited by Gungan

Okay... For those of you who don't actually build computers:

$5000 is an utter waste of money, if you're looking for actual capabilities.

Paying more for hardware gives you rapidly decreasing returns. At about $1500, you're buying top-of-the-line hardware for a single widescreen display. Paying $500, $1000, or $3500 more won't get you any noticeable improvements.

After about $1500, you only buy bells, whistles, and conveniences. He's got three displays. That's the only reason he needs dual 590's. On a single display, there's no gain. The rest of the stuff he's got is just not worth it.

Simply stated: It's not a beast of a computer, it's a beast of a price.

It's really just a i7-2600k with enough RAM. Any other i7 with 8GB of DDR3-1333 and a true gaming video card is going to have similar performance. If you think that adding on everything else he's got is going to improve performance.... then you're just the sort of person that he's selling to.

(Note: In truth, the $5000 might be based on labor and aesthetics. There is value in appearance, efficiency, and silence)

the cards alone are 1200 to 1400 hundred bucks . with that said SLI 590 gtx does not yield anymore FPS then my single 590 gtx . in all honesty Bioware has a **** load of work to do.

Your very wrong when it comes to pricing you can buy a Single 590 GTX for 680-750$'s a 6990 for the same price range if that guy who supposedly builds custom computers paid that much for his GTX 590's then I call BS on the whole thing not his performance but that he built that computer himself for 5 grand...

Okay... For those of you who don't actually build computers:

$5000 is an utter waste of money, if you're looking for actual capabilities.

Paying more for hardware gives you rapidly decreasing returns. At about $1500, you're buying top-of-the-line hardware for a single widescreen display. Paying $500, $1000, or $3500 more won't get you any noticeable improvements.

After about $1500, you only buy bells, whistles, and conveniences. He's got three displays. That's the only reason he needs dual 590's. On a single display, there's no gain. The rest of the stuff he's got is just not worth it.

Simply stated: It's not a beast of a computer, it's a beast of a price.

It's really just a i7-2600k with enough RAM. Any other i7 with 8GB of DDR3-1333 and a true gaming video card is going to have similar performance. If you think that adding on everything else he's got is going to improve performance.... then you're just the sort of person that he's selling to.

(Note: In truth, the $5000 might be based on labor and aesthetics. There is value in appearance, efficiency, and silence)

you couldn't be more wrong, check out Tomshardware's system builder marathons where they compare a 500$ - 1000$ and 2000$ gaming computers overclocked and show a price to performance ration. Sure the 500$ computer dollar for dollar is the better buy but it doesn't mean that the 1000$'s computer isn't better it just means that the 1000$ computer isn't double the performance for double the money.

Finally the only way I can see someone paying 5000$'s for a computer is if that also included his peripherals and Right now I have duel 27's side by side and they only cost about 380 each... so this guys numbers are way off.

personally i dont have any issues but those of you that do just need to give them some time

every PC game these days has performance issues on release and it usually doesnt get much better till about 6 months in so i'd say by summer we should see some nice changes

Umm....no? Well, okay...performance issues yes. Most games seem to have that these days. But SWTOR doesn't just have 'performance issues' for quite a few people. SWTOR has 'game becomes unplayable while my pc is way better than minimum specs' problems. And no game I've seen come out in the past few years or so has had THAT big a 'performance issue' before.

No, it shows that computer definitely isn't worth 5000$

(snip to shorten quote)

Though that's everything he has for 3293$ not including shipping... Still damn expensive I guess.

Heh, no surprise there. The guy probably wants to make a nice profit off of the pc's he builts. He has to if it's a source of income for him, since computer stores and stuff like this generally don't make a lot of money. Still though...1700ish dollars on top of the material cost...way too much. 500 dollars I could understand, not 1700.

If anyone not trying to sequence the human genome pays more than $2k for a PC, they got ripped.

Good point. You can build a pc that can run ANYTHING that's out today or that's upcoming in this year so far on a PC for 2000 dollars. And with that you can most likely even also get 2~3 screens, a gaming keyboard/mouse, and a nice surround system. (not the most expensive ones of course, but 75% of gamers don't even notice any real difference between a 80 dollar sound system and a 200 dollar one anyway.)

No, it shows that computer definitely isn't worth 5000$

Don't tell me no, I started the thread.

The thread was started to show that high end doesn't mean performance with SWTOR.

Maybe you need to go back and read the OP again. Because I can't find anything regarding "worth" :)

Umm....no? Well, okay...performance issues yes. Most games seem to have that these days. But SWTOR doesn't just have 'performance issues' for quite a few people. SWTOR has 'game becomes unplayable while my pc is way better than minimum specs' problems. And no game I've seen come out in the past few years or so has had THAT big a 'performance issue' before.

Civilization 5 did and I am not defending the game hell the fact that I have performance issues on my computer while playing this game is frustrating. I built it last march for a total price of 2050$'s.

Motherboard: Asus Sabretooth X58

Processor: Intel I7 950

Ram: 12 Gigs Kingston Hyper X 6X 2 gig Dimms

Videocards: 2 X XFX 6870's 1 GB

Harddrives: OCZ 120 Gig Vertex 2 SSD 1X WD Carviar Black 1TB SATA II w/ 64mb cache

Powersupply: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000Watt

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower Black

CPU Cooler: Corsair H70

Internet: Shaw Warp speed 50mb/s

My computer wasn't the best on the market when I built it back then and it sure isn't now but its high enough end that on medium to medium high settings I should not experience any real lag or stuttering issues and yet I do.

Your very wrong when it comes to pricing you can buy a Single 590 GTX for 680-750$'s a 6990 for the same price range if that guy who supposedly builds custom computers paid that much for his GTX 590's then I call BS on the whole thing not his performance but that he built that computer himself for 5 grand...

I meant for both 1200 to 1400 for his dual set up.

And have this bad of textures.

Enable your FPS display (CTRL SHIFT F)... take several screenshots while in combat in WZs and in Ilum... then post them. What are your specs? Thanks.

will do a few when i get home later, i have yet to play on Ilum tho so i cant comment to much on it, will try to get some from there too if i can have time

I'm using an onboard video card and I get a steady 30 FPS on fleet and in WZ. That may not seem good to you 100 FPS people, but 30FPS looks just fine to me. :)

technically the naked eye can only see an average of about 30 fps, so 60-100 fps is just overkill. it would be insane if the naked eye can process all that fps lol. i think ill be in swtor matrix when that happens.

or on the fleet lol. my system is close to his minus 1 590 gtx , my CPU is a 990 x 4.2 i get about 20 to 30 FPS when im on the Station funny thing is nobody is moving.

lol well if i had a rig like that, i'd def be mind boggled to why my fps is that low on fleet without people moving. i would probably even be more upset and probably use force rage on people due to illum problems lol