Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Fun comparison

Rhaynne

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they released swtor 2,3,4,5 already?

NAh, just WOW copy with lightsabers so far. Was just meaning that you cant compare games between different ages and you cant compare old cars to new ones. New car is compared against other new cars, not some car from 50s.

While the codex isnt sexy, nor does it make you all shiney and reward you with useless points but its there. =)

Im not sure what Cosmos was, but im mainly referring to things that were in the game (or in WoWs case, could be added via MODs). not things that could be used outside the game.

Im not sure what the last post about GTA/5 or Beetle and 2012 Beetle was about. Should i not compare the new with the old even though the old set the standard by which we have come to expect?

Edited by Rhaynne

While the codex isnt sexy, nor does it make you all shiney and reward you with useless points but its there. =)

Im not sure what Cosmos was, but im mainly referring to things that were in the game (or in WoWs case, could be added via MODs). not things that could be used outside the game.

Im not sure what the last post about GTA/5 or Beetle and 2012 Beetle was about. Should i now compare the new with the old even though the old set the standard by which we judge?

Just ment that comparing what wow had at 2004 and whta tor had at 2011 is useless. Only thing that matters for people is what wow has now and what tor has now.

Thats exactly what this post is for.

You obviously thing that is reasonable. Any new game has to have everything that has come before it. But is that logical to expect that?

As it stands BW spent double the money, more time, and in the end, came out with a more impressive lineup then WoW did. Is it logical to expect a game company (or more important a producer) to invest even MORE money and years of dev so that every feature is out on time. Is it even possible to have that kind of capitol...

At some point every company needs to start getting a return on their investment, the ones that don't, go under.

So, this is how we're supposed to value fun? Has anyone considered when first playing WoW that was a new experience in "advanced" MMOs (if you will.) Further, having played WoW long enough to get tired of it, has it not leaped to mind one might just be tired of not WoW, but playing this sort of game at all. And, lastly, given this extended experience, isn't it possible people are expecting new games to give them the same thrill they had when they first began a game like WoW, which would now be impossible for anyone to do since the shine has worn off permanently?

I wouldn't insinuate people these days are in the habit of asking too much, and demanding a response...I'm just sayin'.

In the midst of all of the arguments one way or another, yours stands out as perhaps most true of all in many instances.

I myself avoided all of the online gaming from the 1998-2008 but got into it for the last few years. I'm just getting tired of the games. I'll play once or twice a week and it's fun when I play but I'm not spending every free moment I have playing the game.

Luckily one of the 3 games I play is free, the other has a lifetime subscription, and this one is just $14.99 a month.

SWTOR is a bargain to me. I'll keep it for a couple of months, at least until I get a few alts to 50, before I judge where the game is at and where it's headed. I've already seen some pretty big changes so far and it looks like they're being quite receptive to feedback and requests for alterations.

And this is all before this Guild Summit thing. It'll be interesting to see what they come back with after that, and see what they plan next.

______

As to my contribution to the comparisons...

Science Fiction Type Fantasy Content

SW:ToR: Shipped with this feature.

WoW: Still not implemented.

Tolkien Type Fantasy Content

SW:ToR: Still not implemented.

WoW: Shipped with this feature.

Edited by Kubernetic

It seams the cost/feature requirements needed for a "game of 2011/12" are exceeding what developers can spend/create.

Have we as a community become some insatiable beast? Thats an easy one =)

Its normal for our expectations to go up.

Honestly I dont understand the logic behind comparing TOR in 2012 to wow in 2004. Its a completely different market!

Someone made a great analogy in a different thread, and I'm going to use it here. Would you buy a black and white TV from a new company, with the excuse that they are new and that they need time to develop? No, you'll buy a perfectly fine color TV from panasonic or samsung. Black and white TVs were cool in 1970. They arent anymore.

Would you buy a car that had no power steering, no AC, that you had to start with a hand crank? For the SAME price as a 2012 car? Why would anyone do that is beyond me. Yet we accept this kind of ******** in MMOs. Its "acceptable" to launch them with missing features or full of bugs, because... well, just because. Theres no reason, theres no logic behind it.

You guys have to notice that MMOs are the ONLY market where this kind of BS is acceptable. I mean, anywhere else, a company would never release something based on the standards of 5 years, or even 2 years ago.

Why are we accepting it?

You obviously thing that is reasonable. Any new game has to have everything that has come before it. But is that logical to expect that?

it is logical to expect this game to have many of the features that are seen in other MMOs like WoW and Rift. The last I checked, they are asking for the same amount of money, so they get the same amount of scrutiny.

PS. Would you accept MW3 to ship with the same features as Castle Wolfenstein? I didn't think so.

Edited by Knewt

As it stands BW spent double the money, more time, and in the end, came out with a more impressive lineup then WoW did. Is it logical to expect a game company (or more important a producer) to invest even MORE money and years of dev so that every feature is out on time. Is it even possible to have that kind of capitol...

At some point every company needs to start getting a return on their investment, the ones that don't, go under.

While the expectation may be prevalent (and wrong-headed) that a new MMO must include all the best features while refraining from all of the mistakes of every single MMO preceeding it, there is a very rational and very reasonable basis for protest in regard to the design decisions and chosen implementations that in no way requires belaboring the unreasonable to stand on.

That position, I shall pose in the form of questions that really ought to be answered with correction, as even explanation would only seem like paltry excuse-mongering.

1: Why, in the emulation of popular systems, were known design flaws corrected in other games' iterations of those systems translated here with few to none of those corrective measures in place? Examples: Need/Greed system with none of the popular corrective QoL modifications; GTN lacking functionalities common to player market systems across the genre; lack of global chat channels resulting in a great deal of forced dithering in fleet when assembling, or seeking to assemble, teams for the withering majority of existent level 50 'endgame' content?

2: Why, in the emulation of WoW's talent tree model, did Bioware seem to absolutely fail to notice that Blizzard themselves is moving -away- from that model? Its flaws are known quantities; its scalability across level increases is a known issue (See talent bloat in Wrath of the Lich King followed by a necessitated redesign of the entire system for Cataclysm...which isn't good enough, and will be followed in Mists by yet another system redesign).

This is tantamount to an auto manufacturer that was very impressed by the 1986 Ford Pinto hijacking most of its design and building the engineering flaws, including the rear-positioned exploding gas tank, into their own product. It boggles the mind; why did they do this? Why -would anyone- do this? And it's not nearly differentiated sufficiently to escape a single one of the problems endemic to the provenly-outmoded talent tree system.

It will scale across level increases just as poorly unless they do something entirely different with it. COULD they do something entirely different with it? Yes, why didn't they do something entirely different in the first place if they'd planned to eventually do so anyway? Is this merely a paperweight that shall eventually be replaced by something that is -not- already well mapped in how it will careen over a cliff ignominiously?

Is it amateurish oversight fueled by nostalgia? Is it demonstrative of nobody having so much as looked around the -existing field of things to copy- well enough to see anything better than /this/ if something had to be copied?

It boggles the mind, and the best case scenerio I can think of is that it's a paperweight they intend to eventually replace or expand on in ways WoW never tried.

They have, as yet, offered exactly 0 reason for why I or anyone should be inspired to confidence upon this, however. Looks like a duck, acts like a duck, quacks like a duck; what's it probably gonna grow up to be?

3: It plays far more like WoW than less. We're not all stupid WoW fanbois/grlz that say so; it really just bloody does. It doesn't matter that it also plays like EQ2; EQ2 isn't defining the industry. EQ1 may have served as a mechanical template for WoW, but EQ1 is not what umpteen million people have been playing and subbing to.

Why, I ask, was this deliberately done? If they're geniuses, they made a deliberate error in repeating familiar stagnation so they could get the game on the market in a playable state and later sweep in and innovate all over everything.

If they're amateurs, they went with what seemed to be working for the alpha dog and have no idea how to do even this better.

Frankly, I don't know which they are yet. What I do know is that there are a thousand amateurs that think they're geniuses for every actual genius (as a generous analogy) and I'm not seeing a great deal of what I'd expect to see that indicates 'genius' anywhere.

Maybe they've hidden it so cleverly that it can't be seen yet?

4: Graphic issues and the deliberate with-holding of modern high res textures. This we've at least got some measure of official word on, even if that official word leaves one with more questions begging answers than it answered in the first place.

Never-the-less, it most certainly is -not- hidden genius to fail to release a new game in this industry's environments that is outclassed visually and performance-wise by virtually every single mainstream MMO currently being played.

There's a honeymoon effect brought on by the Star Wars IP to be sure, but lets not kid ourselves on this one; they aren't managing to look half as pretty as even The Force Unleashed here.

What the hell happened? Obviously they're having some kind of issue with the technical side of the graphic engine in terms of offering performance with high res models and textures, but -why-?!

What. The hell. Happened? This clearly isn't an issue common to the industry. Even an average psychology undergrad come about year 2 could spell out a few reasons for why one might take the visual appeal of a product into primary consideration for its debut.

Humans are very visually oriented after all. And here we have a game that fails to deliver a visual experience that's competetive with today's offerings.

What...the hell...happened?

I think that's what it all really boils down to for at least some of us.

It's certainly what I want to know across the boards. No amount of selectively contextualizing SWTOR's superiority of release over WoW's is going to change that.

Edited by Uruare

Great post OP and very true..only as true as it is it won't change the minds of some people. They hate the game forever and no matter what it will always be fail.

And above all they will continue to pay 15.00 a month to tell everyone that for eight to sixteen hours a day on the forums.

:rolleyes:

Customers aint interested hwo games were 8 years ago. When i buy a phone, i dont compare it to phones made 8 years ago, i compare it to phones made this year, same with games and any other product that consumers buy. MOnthly fee is exactly the same so its all abotu what game offers today, not what it offers 8 years from now or 8 years ago.

Edited by Forsbacka

And here is the list what customers should compare instead and majority does.

Instanced PvP

SW:ToR: 3 for 8 man teams, no rated options

WoW: 8 normal mode BGs of different sizes, 5 rated BGs for 10 man teams, 5 arenas of different sizes

Queue Anywhere for PvP

SW:Tor Yes

WoW: Yes

Raid Encounters:

SW:ToR: 2

WoW: 27 10-40 mans

Dungeons:

SW:ToR: 16

WoW: 75

Outdoor PvP objectives:

SW:ToR 1area

WoW: 2 areas

Full Voice Acting:

SW:ToR: Yes

WoW: No

Class Specific Quests:

SW:ToR Yes

Quest/Map Locations:

SW:ToR: Yes

User Customization HUD:

SW:ToR - No

WoW: Yes, with mods

End Game Mounts:

SW:ToR: Lots

WoW: Lot more

Level 85 Gear:

SW:ToR: 3 Tiers of PvP gear, and 3 Teirs of Raid gear

WoW: Lots of different tier gear in PvP and Pve

Flipping DPS Meter:

SW:ToR No and not needed atm cause all endgame fights are very low in terms of difficulty

Achievements:

SW:ToR: No

Classes/Races:

SW:ToR: 4 archetypes, 8 classes, 8 races

WoW: 10 classes, 19 main role specs, 10 races

Player Housing:

SW:ToR: No.

Crafting:

SW:ToR: 6 crafting 8 gathering

WoW: 8 crafting 4 gathering 4 secondary professions

Dual Spec'ing:

SW:ToR: No

Looking For Group Tool:

SW:ToR: no

Leveling to Max (AVERAGE):

SW:ToR: Level 50 6 ingame days about

WoW: Level 85 8 ingame days about

Now we just wait for all the posts about how this was 2004 and shouldn't be applicable to a 2011 game..

but for what it's worth I have to applaud the op as this is a excellent post and exactly how SWTOR should be viewed.

That and I've just drunk 10+ gins on a monday night.. :)

It's true. Let me sell you a 2012 car with a 2004 engine in it. Would you pay the same price? Probably not unless I lied to you. Would it be as good as a brand new engine? For 2 months.

And this game should be compared to WoW now, not at their release.

Edited by Bizwolf

If I open up a new pizzeria, should my pizza be worse, the same, or better than the competition? I think the answer is obvious to most people. My pizza has to be better in order to attract and KEEP the customers.

Some customers will come in because I'm a new pizzeria. They'll try it out. If it's worse, they will leave. If it's the same, they may come back or just go back to their other favorite pizzeria. If it's better, you have a life long customer until something new and better comes along.

Same holds true for SWTOR. It had to be better than WoW. It had to have all the best features from WoW and other MMORPG's. It doesn't matter whether these features will come at a later time, first impressions mean everything. They dropped the ball. The suits at EA should be fired. If I had stock in EA I would pull out. They apparently don't understand long term business decisions which is an epidemic nowadays.

Achievements:

SW:ToR: shipped with this feature

WoW: added 4 years after launch

Looking For Group Tool:

SW:ToR: Didn't launch with this feature.

WoW: was added 2 years after launch.

Ok, gonna pick this apart a little bit.

Note: I played WoW for a short while a few years ago. I really have no experience to stand on in comparison, so take my viewpoint as coming from someone who has played a variety of games but isn't a real typical 'ex-WoW player'.

Achievements: I really would not call the Codex an 'achievement' system. Don't get me wrong: I like the Datacrons (even though I have cursed myself blue in the face at my lack of Mario skills for some), and I like finding the Lore objects... but I wouldn't call it 'achievements'. Perhaps I'm missing a part of the Codex, though? I'm only thinking about the Planetary tracker (datacron, location, lore, etc.). To me, at least, that's not exactly an 'achievement tracker'. Even though sometimes getting a particular datacron IS an achievement... hmm. Dunno why it just doesn't feel like an 'achievement system' to me.

LFG Tool: SW:tOR does have a LFG tool. Unless you mean 'a tool that magically and automatically creates groups (while also possibly teleporting them to the appropriate instance!) without players having to do anything but fill in check boxes'. (Wow, are we really so lazy nowadays?) The problem with TOR's current tool is that it isn't very intuitive, and you can't search by the dungeon/instance that is being sought to run, you can only search by player class/level/planet they're on... and you actually have to form the group yourself, you can't just let the computer do all the work for you. Is that what's wanted? Something to do all the work for you? Is that why no one uses our current LFG, because they have to actually write stuff like the instance they want to do in the Notes section... or search for people to fill their groups?

From a consumer/commercial and biased (I like WoW; I don't hate SWTOR) standpoint:

It is reasonable for consumers to be able to expect that any new game they buy is comparable to what is on the market; this is just like say, buying a car - you compare things as they are.. thus you would expect that a new BMW 5 series would have more features than a 5 year old BMW 5 series (thus it is only natural for SWTOR to have more features than 2004 WoW).

Also, if you want to compare SWTOR and WoW (2011-2012) then it is like comparing 2 recently made cars of different brands (ok I'll try to use cars priced similarly) - so if BMW recently released an entirely new car model (e.g. the BWM 1-series, released 2004), then we would expect that the BMW would be of similar quality to another car in the same price-range (e.g. the Audi A3, released 1996); this is why there is little merit in saying "it's not fair to compare the BMW 1-series - which was only released in 2004 - to the Audi A3 which has been around since 1996; it's not fair because Audi had the advantage of 16 years to work the A3 whereas BMW only had 8" because it doesn't matter to the consumer as long as both cars are of similar age out of the factory it is reasonable for them to compare them since they are paying the same price for it. But some people like Audi, and some like BMW --> different types of consumers, all legitimate.

A more ordinary example: If I buy a new - but hitherto unknown/unreleased on the market - brand of orange juice it is reasonable for me to expect that it would be of similar quality (e.g. taste, freshness) to another more established brand of orange juice, given similar pricing.

Other examples: Apple iPhones and their competition. (speculation: Apple - and many phone companies - already have phones ready for the next few years, so they can always look good compared with the competition)

As such, when a video-game company releases a new game on the market they have to be aware that consumers will make comparisons to what is already on the market; it is not the duty of the consumer to be looking for reasons why SWTOR did not manage to release a game as good as WoW; it is not the duty of the consumer to know how much money was spent on making WoW over the years, and correspondingly, is it not the duty of the consumer to know how much money was spent on making SWTOR.

___

It is true that to play WoW cataclysm you have to buy more expansions which means more money, and so this is where SWTOR fanboys might have a valid argument; however, WoW can still be played up to burning crusade free even.

Side-note: Have you ever compared the fanboy/population ratio in SWTOR to the number of fanboys in WoW? (SWTOR may have targeted a more niche segment of the market, and this segment of the market clearly likes what SWTOR has done)

Edited by RabidPopcorn

Not a bad post OP. I only found one thing did not like that wow has. But all the rest are great points.

Great points that doesnt matter in reality at all, hence topic name"fun comparison" Im atm working on differences between features on smartphones at 2004 and 2012, ill get back to you soon on it.

Edited by Forsbacka

Oh oh oh here's my favorite samples that I didn't see the OP mention:

Extremely high input-to-ability responsiveness:

WoW: Shipped with amazing ability responsiveness

SWTOR: Still working on it

Animation-based ability delay:

WoW: Shipped with a notable lack of animation-based ability delay

SWTOR: Instants like "force wave" can somehow get interrupted?

Macros to reduce ability bloat:

WoW: Shipped with macros

SWTOR: No.

Mouseovers:

WoW: In first expansion--revolutionized the genre with mouseovers and focus support

SWTOR: No.

Targeting by nameplates/healthbars?

WoW: Of course? Why is this even a question?

SWTOR: Huh? What's that?

An intuitive tab-targeting sytem?

WoW: So natural, it's never even been tweaked--it was that good to begin with!

SWTOR: How about if I gave you a target 40 yards behind you? Is that something you would be interested in?

Travel between Worlds / Continents:

WoW, Vanilla: Well, you need to pay a mage for that

WoW, Modern: Portals everywhere!

SWTOR: Quick travel to 'near' spaceport -> Run to shuttle -> orbital station -> elevator -> airlock -> loading screen -> ship -> galaxy map -> planet select -> exit ship -> loading screen -> airlock -> orbital station -> shuttle -> destination!

Edited by GreymaneAlpha

You guys forget ONE thing that's importent to some players out there.

WoW: No free expantions (they have a pricetag).

SW_TOR: ALL expantions are FREE.....all included in the monthly fee....

That is one thing that I DON'T like about WoW..... ;)

Besides it has grown TO big so most ppl think it's the best just because it has all the tools outside to hold ppl hands..../yes I'm an add-onhater since if it was supouse to be a function in game it shpuld been implimented from the devs.......... NOT a mod-community)

You guys forget ONE thing that's importent to some players out there.

WoW: No free expantions (they have a pricetag).

SW_TOR: ALL expantions are FREE.....all included in the monthly fee....

That is one thing that I DON'T like about WoW..... ;)

Besides it has grown TO big so most ppl think it's the best just because it has all the tools outside to hold ppl hands..../yes I'm an add-onhater since if it was supouse to be a function in game it shpuld been implimented from the devs.......... NOT a mod-community)

SWTOR doesnt have free expansions, they add patches just like WOW and seems like "major" patches are much smaller than in WoW.

Edited by Forsbacka

Sigh.....

Why do people feel the need to validate things they like. *This entire post is silly. *It's like comparing an old car to a new one. *Well when the 1985 mustang was released crank windows where standard, and you only got am/fm radio. *The 2012 camaro comes with power windows and an iPod dock. *

Look, I like the game. *I guess that puts me in the fanboi camp. *I recognize the game has flaws. *That causes the fanboi camp to want me dead. *I can overlook the current flaws and enjoy the game, while waiting for fixes. *That causes the hater camp to hate me. *Here's the rub though. *I don't give a single solitary crap what some random d-head on the Internet thinks. *

I like many things that my RL close friends don't. *I like many different types of music they don't like. *I enjoy movies some of them don't like. *Some of us root for different sports teams. *I like food some of them don't like. *If I don't care what people I know and care about think about hobbies/interests I have, why in the hell would I care what some random stranger on the Internet thinks?

Your entire list accepts the premise that you need to validate your enjoyment of the game. * It seems like an odd outlook on life to me.

Yes let's take a look at the release of both games:

Gameplay:

WoW: Solid, smooth responsive working engine, built in house

SWTOR: FPS issues, ability delay, animation queue, heroengine delivered via Dominos pizza.

Graphics:

WoW: High res textures, anti aliasing

SWTOR: Nothing

MMOs to draw inspiration from:

WoW: EQ

SWTOR: 570+ MMOS (http://www.mmorpg.com/)

Load times:

WoW: None

SWTOR: Everywhere you go

Macros:

WoW: Customizable to either global or character specific. Mouseovers

SWTOR: Heroengine can't handle.

Budget:

WoW: 60 million

SWTOR: 200 million

Classes:

WoW: 9

SWTOR: 4

Time taken to release:

WoW: 3 years

SWTOR: 6 years

Zones:

WoW: 50

SWTOR: 10

Difficulty:

WoW: Handful of guilds worldwide completed Naxx 40 man

SWTOR: Farming nightmare

Races:

WoW: Human, NE, Orc, Tauren, Troll, Gnome, Dwarf, Undead

SWTOR: All based from human models

Swimming:

WoW: Yes, underwater exploration too

SWTOR: Heroengine can't handle

Night / Day:

WoW: Yes,

Chat Bubbles:

WoW: Yes, party chat bubbles as well!

Rotation:

WoW: Complex system of prioritization, using a vast array of skills

SWTOR: Tracer Missile.

Healing:

WoW: All healing classes were vastly unique and brought something different to the group.

SWTOR: One hot, one casted spell and one aoe shared among all classes.

PvP:

WoW: Complex and a high skill cap of counters and outsmarting your opponent.

SWTOR: Autofacing, spam damage, one stun per class

Exploration:

WoW: Mutlizones per level, hidden easter eggs everywhere.

SWTOR: Heroengine can't handle ~Now Loading new zone~

NPCs

WoW: Guards attack mobs, lions hunt gazelles, lions travel in packs, enemies run for help, patrols have wide radius,

SWTOR: Stand still, wax museum, heroengine can't handle.

Crafting:

WoW: Usable and better than quest greens. Could take weeks to farm all mats. Can mix and match what professions you want.

SWTOR: Send companion and sit in fleet. Crafted gear no better than quest rewards. Limited to one gathering, one crafting and one social.

Guild Bank:

WoW: Upon release

SWTOR: ~We're working on it~

Guild Tabard:

WoW: Design your own

SWTOR: Heroengine can't handle.

Auction House:

WoW: Search by however you want. Very easy to navigate

SWTOR: Worst auction house of any MMO to date.

Other ways to get gear:

WoW: Reputation

World PvP:

WoW: Invade other cities, towns, open world fights, Stranglethorn Vale!!, heavily populated zones.

SWTOR: Sit in fleet and run in circles till queues pop

Rerolling:

WoW: Many zones and lore you didn't see the first or second time around. Multipath to endgame.

SWTOR: Same planets, same quests, same voice acting, same gear, same linear path.

Talent Trees:

WoW: Unique spells, skills, buffs of each class from each tree.

SWTOR: "Increase / Decrease <skill> by 'x' amount. Cannot occur more than once every 'y' seconds."

Custom UI:

WoW: Fully custom

I'd be embarrassed if I was a part of this game and the only saving face we had was to compare it to games seven years prior (Which it can't even fully compare to WoW at seven years prior!!).

~Give them time~ What six years and 200+ million wasn't enough time? I will give them time, time to admit they failed on this MMO.

Edited by DigitalDreamz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.