FYI regarding bonus missions.

Gazzaho

New players beware, if you get a bonus mission and you have to report, "turn it in" to a NPC for reward, complete the FULL mission first, do all parts. If you turn the mission in before all parts are completed you'll lose the end part of the mission and reward.

This has happened to me twice now, on Nar Shaddaa and Balmorra. It only seems to happen if you turn the mission in to an NPC character, the ones you return to terminals only show when the mission is complete.

No idea what kind of bonus missions you're talking about.

As far as i know there are two kinds of bonus quests - the 1st being kill X number of mobs or destroy X number of whatever.

As soon as this is done you get the reward immediately without any reward window popping up.

The 2nd kind is staged bonus quest. As soon as you finish the 1st part you'll get a similar 2nd part (and sometimes 3-4 parts total) and the final quest is always activate an item to summon the elite and kill him.

Once done this becomes a separate quest which can be later handed in to a mission drop box. Just be sure to finish all stages of these quests BEFORE you continue with the original quest so it's not lost forever.

These quests are much better cause you get a lot more creds and xp for it plus 3 planetary commendations.

each planet has a bonus series. it does not become available until you finish all the non heroic missions on the planet. it usually starts with someone at the planets spacecenter as you are leaving the planet. it will be called for example: Balmorra Bonus Series, and will be a series of quests to complete before going back to the original quest giver at the very end

each planet has a bonus series. it does not become available until you finish all the non heroic missions on the planet.

I dont think that is accurate (no offence mended ofcourse) but i could pickup de Balmorra Bonus Series Quests way before i did all the quests in Balmorra. I think its more level related? not sure about that though. I did do some quests before i could pick it up, but not even half of them.

The OP is referring to those quests that pop up into your queue while you are doing other quests... you know, you kill some mob to get to your quest objective and it adds a bonus quest to kill 15 of those types of mobs. *Some* of these quests are only active while the main quest is still active (i.e. not turned in/completed).

Ok, to make it clear beware of turning in a bonus quest before checking that all requirements are met, it's easy to miss a message when being attacked, or when you have a lot of missions active in the list to the right.

Some bonus quest endings require you to kill an elite and are not deposited at a drop box but instead given to a quest giver, the drop box ones seem to be activated only after the bonus quest is complete, the NPC ones can be deposited before the quest is complete. If I remember correctly there's one on Nar Shaddaa, Red Light District, the other I've found on Balmorra, the Colicoid one.

Edited by Gazzaho

Most (all?) multiple stage bonus missions are tied to a non-bonus mission. Turning that one in before you've completed all the stages from the bonus mission will make it vanish from your log, with no way to get it back. The exception is when you're on the very last stage where you need to turn in an item (usually), the bonus mission then loses its bonus tag and will not vanish from your log when you turn in the main mission.

That's what I've observed, and I think that's what the OP is trying to get across.

Edit: same as what Esgallad said.

Edited by Maranea

SOME mission (not all) if you finish the main part, the bonus mission disappear (without completing it)

Most mission you can still finish the bonus part even when you got the main part of the mission done.

Exactly. Most of the time, as long as you don't turn in the mission the bonus is attached to, you can complete it after completing the main mission objectives. The times I've noticed this mostly not be the case is when the final objective of your main mission consists of "talk to so-and-so". Since that tends to end the mission rather than return you to the quest-giver.

Exactly. Most of the time, as long as you don't turn in the mission the bonus is attached to, you can complete it after completing the main mission objectives. The times I've noticed this mostly not be the case is when the final objective of your main mission consists of "talk to so-and-so". Since that tends to end the mission rather than return you to the quest-giver.

On 1 or 2 rare occasions i was doing the main mission and had bonus objectives. The main mission progressed a little (ddint turn it in) and the bonus objectives disappeared. Not sure if this was a bug or working as intended. But ever since that happened to me i've been a bit paranoid. I always do all bonus objectives until it is completed, then i finish up the main objectives, even if i have to backtrack a bit. Some missions though i know how primary/bonus go once you've completed, but still i am a bit paranoid when it comes to doing bonus missions hehe.

Edited by swtonewbie

I dont think that is accurate (no offence mended ofcourse) but i could pickup de Balmorra Bonus Series Quests way before i did all the quests in Balmorra. I think its more level related? not sure about that though. I did do some quests before i could pick it up, but not even half of them.

Actually, Bonus Series becomes unlocked after finishing all class storyline quests on that planet. I.E. Tatooine Bonus Series could be unlocked without ever finishing a Tatooine Quest other than Class Storyline quests.

New players beware, if you get a bonus mission and you have to report, "turn it in" to a NPC for reward, complete the FULL mission first, do all parts. If you turn the mission in before all parts are completed you'll lose the end part of the mission and reward.

This has happened to me twice now, on Nar Shaddaa and Balmorra. It only seems to happen if you turn the mission in to an NPC character, the ones you return to terminals only show when the mission is complete.

I think the point you are trying to get across is make sure you finish your bonus mission before handing in the quest it was connected to, otherwise you could lose credit for that bonus mission. It has happened to me a few times and it has nothing to do with either being a staged bonus quest, a bonus series, or a regular bonus quest. I just didn't realize the quest was coming to an end and hadn't yet finished the bonus.

As for Staged Bonus quests, the majority of them are 3 or 4 stage bonus quests that end with you turning in the "extra" quest in a drop box. However, if you happen to turn in the quest it is connected to before defeating the elite and getting the item needed to turn in as proof, then you could also lose these quests.

Basically, the point is, finish your bonus quests before turning in the quest connected to them.

As for Staged Bonus quests, the majority of them are 3 or 4 stage bonus quests that end with you turning in the "extra" quest in a drop box. However, if you happen to turn in the quest it is connected to before defeating the elite and getting the item needed to turn in as proof, then you could also lose these quests.

Basically, the point is, finish your bonus quests before turning in the quest connected to them.

You've got it! This has nothing to do with planetary bonus quests, people are reading it wrong, it's to do with kill this amount then kill that amount.

Another point I should raise is if you get a kill this amount and a marker on the map, the little spinning icon, don't stray too far from that area before killing all for that part of the quest, say to go do another part of the main quest, it can break the kill part of the bonus. I've just got stuck with at kill 7/25 because, I believe, I left the area thinking I could get them on the way back.

Edited by Gazzaho

There are various types of Bonus Missions/Quests/Series you can find and do.

1. Area Missions. These pop up when you enter a specific zone on a map and are usually kill XXX numbers of NPC's or Animals. So far I have found that these types of bonuses are usually stage bonuses and culminate in killing an Elite.

These quests are turned into the Mission Terminal when completed.

2. Quest Bonus Missions- Type 1. These occur when you have an existing Quest and provide bonus goodies. Usually Legacy points, XP, and credits.

Quest Bonuses pop up when you are in the same area as the main quest. If you have to disable a terminal in a cave, you will usually get a bonus quest to kill 25 NPC's in the cave as well.

These bonuses auto complete. As soon as you complete the number of kills, you get immediate credit.

3. Quest Bonus Missions - Type 2. These are stage bonuses. Kill XX number of NPC's, Destroy XX number of Ammo chests. Kill Elite NPC. These must be turned into the Mission Terminal for the bonus.

The Bonus includes credits, XP (if you are below lvl 50), Legacy Points, and a variety of type of other goodies. Usually 1 type of gear for each companion, a planet specific Commendation, and a Chest with a Random gear item.

These types of Bonus Quests/Missions must be completed before the main quest is completed or they will be lost and no bonus can bet received.

4. Planet Bonus Series - These usually occur after you have finished your class quests on the planet. You will either be directed back to the planet from another location to talk to an NPC, or the NPC will automatically have the Bonus Series Quest starter available as soon as you complete your class quests.

If possible, you should always complete any and all bonus quests. These will provide extra earnings (credits), extra XP (normal or legacy), and/or gear.

Once you hit lvl 50, the bonuses attached to the Dailies do not seem to provide much, if any, extra benefit, and are pretty much a time sink, so I only try to finish them if they are easy enough to do.

Edited by JessieColt

The one that made me start this thread is this one.

One of the first quests on Balmorra to kill Coilicle matriarchs then eggs then nests and finally the Coilicle Queen, if you turn in the quest to the "NPC quest giver" not a terminal, before killing the queen you lose the, I presume 2 extra planetary medals and additional points, I think I just got 1 medal because I turned it in before compleation