The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Good ol' swg

bountywookies

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-Jump to LightSpeed was the best times for my wookie bounty hunter. Run bounty hunter missions which was fun for me since they involved launching droids and chasing your target to other planets. I really miss hanging out in the guild hall with everyone then going to raid the neighboring imperial guild/city. Wish I knew if the D.O.L. guys are still around.

I like my way of explaining the CU to NGE switch.

The CU and Pre-CU era of SWG is hard for people who've never played it before to grasp, because it was a system that is very, very rarely seen today in the MMO game industry.

SWG was a sandbox MMO. That means that basically the developers create huge worlds, develop some classes, and then basically tell you to go have fun and you do what you want.

To break down how the class system worked in Pre-NGE the best example would have to be how you advance in Skyrim. In Skyrim if you want to be a fire blasting archer, then you attack things with your fire power to level that skill up. To get your arching up you use your bow a lot. By using your bow you don't raise your 2H skill up, for example. But then once you got to a new level, you could place the perks wherever you wanted.

That was how the skill system worked in Pre-NGE. You leveled up by how you wanted to level up, and then you placed your points wherever you wanted.

The big difference between Pre-NGE and NGE was the class changes. Though everyone seems to center around the Jedi change, which was indeed a huge one.

After WoW came out in 2004(?), although it wasn't the first theme park MMO, it was the first one to have so much success at launch, and throughout the ensuing years. At this time SWG was losing subscribers, there is no one who can deny that, even past Devs have stated that it was a bad situation. They had 2 choices, they could shut the game down and relaunch later, or they could try to overhaul the gameplay system to appeal to a larger audience. At the time, SWG did have quite a learning curve to it, the gave Devs wanted something where anyone could log on, press 1 or 2, and get instant results.

That's how the NGE combat system was developed, they wanted an instant action type of thing.

I think that they could have launched the NGE like that and leave the classes alone, but they went ahead and dumbed down all of the classes. They funneled each class into 1 of 9 different classes. You then had your generic support buff classes, medic class, tank class, and dps classes. Of course, you also had the Jedi class.

I really think that had they kept the Jedi system untouched the NGE would not have been as big a flop as it was. Sure it still would have been bad, but I think the fallout would have been smaller.

Another thing which was so disappointing about the NGE was that when it launched classes did not even have their expertise (talent) trees yet. It took nearly two years to finish giving every class their expertise tree and profession updates with "Chapter" publishes. The day after NGE all players had was some gear, and whatever abilities their profession gained through the leveling system.

The difference between NGE 2006, and NGE 2011 is soooo huge, though. The game made SO much progress in those 5 years, and it was really enjoyable towards the end.

I like my way of explaining the CU to NGE switch.

The CU and Pre-CU era of SWG is hard for people who've never played it before to grasp, because it was a system that is very, very rarely seen today in the MMO game industry.

SWG was a sandbox MMO. That means that basically the developers create huge worlds, develop some classes, and then basically tell you to go have fun and you do what you want.

To break down how the class system worked in Pre-NGE the best example would have to be how you advance in Skyrim. In Skyrim if you want to be a fire blasting archer, then you attack things with your fire power to level that skill up. To get your arching up you use your bow a lot. By using your bow you don't raise your 2H skill up, for example. But then once you got to a new level, you could place the perks wherever you wanted.

That was how the skill system worked in Pre-NGE. You leveled up by how you wanted to level up, and then you placed your points wherever you wanted.

The big difference between Pre-NGE and NGE was the class changes. Though everyone seems to center around the Jedi change, which was indeed a huge one.

After WoW came out in 2004(?), although it wasn't the first theme park MMO, it was the first one to have so much success at launch, and throughout the ensuing years. At this time SWG was losing subscribers, there is no one who can deny that, even past Devs have stated that it was a bad situation. They had 2 choices, they could shut the game down and relaunch later, or they could try to overhaul the gameplay system to appeal to a larger audience. At the time, SWG did have quite a learning curve to it, the gave Devs wanted something where anyone could log on, press 1 or 2, and get instant results.

That's how the NGE combat system was developed, they wanted an instant action type of thing.

I think that they could have launched the NGE like that and leave the classes alone, but they went ahead and dumbed down all of the classes. They funneled each class into 1 of 9 different classes. You then had your generic support buff classes, medic class, tank class, and dps classes. Of course, you also had the Jedi class.

I really think that had they kept the Jedi system untouched the NGE would not have been as big a flop as it was. Sure it still would have been bad, but I think the fallout would have been smaller.

Another thing which was so disappointing about the NGE was that when it launched classes did not even have their expertise (talent) trees yet. It took nearly two years to finish giving every class their expertise tree and profession updates with "Chapter" publishes. The day after NGE all players had was some gear, and whatever abilities their profession gained through the leveling system.

The difference between NGE 2006, and NGE 2011 is soooo huge, though. The game made SO much progress in those 5 years, and it was really enjoyable towards the end.

I totally would of loved for them to keep the challenge of getting jedi the same as in cu and carried it over to nge.

You're right...but this game started this way. SWG was a totally different game at release. Most people didn't want the crap they "upgraded" to.

SWG Subscriber: SOE please don't "upgrade" SWG to NGE! :jawa_frown:

*Meanwhile on top of SOE's Money Mountain*

SOE Employee: Do you hear something? *Eases in*

SWG Subscriber: SOE please don't "upgrade" SWG to NGE!

*What SOE is hearing*

SWG Subscriber: SOE upgrade to NGE!

SOE Employee: Alright you heard them folks!

Incoming Patch: SWG will be upgraded to NGE

SWG Customer: :jawa_frown::wea_02:

Star Wars Galaxies was wonderful in so many ways. There are things in which The Old Republic is superior (mainly the single player elements and much of the stuff from early NGE), but SWG excelled in many other aspects. If you combined the best aspects of SWG with the best aspects of TOR you may get pretty close to having the perfect Star Wars MMORPG. Hopefully TOR will do that one day. Or perhaps the next big Star Wars MMORPG ten years down the line will.

Currently, Star Wars Galaxies still is the best overall Star Wars MMORPG that was ever released for me. But as TOR improves, I'm hoping it will get to a tie and perhaps even surpass it one day. A good start will be when TOR finally gets an option to enable chat bubbles. And then we'll go from there. :)

Edited by Glzmo

The funny thing is the NGE that was so hated actually made SWG closer to what this game is.

The combat is what truly ruined it. It was just plain bad.

I really hope a SWGv2 comes out, or just a game like it, with much freedom.

I never got bored in my days playing SWG, but in todays themepark MMOs I get bored pretty fast after doing a raid a couple of times.

Bring back the days I could just go exploring people's man made towns/citites, go shopping in their own shops, with much improved graphics.

The guild I was in, would have a guild meeting every week in our town, we would just meet up and talk, duel and maybe go out in the world and explore something. It's sad to think back and to never expect to see that again (meeting up to raid doesn't count!).

A big problem with SWTOR, is that at end game, there isn't much to go out and explore, dailies are boring after a couple of times and that is hardly exploring. I hope they expand each world in the future with points to go out and travel to and do at level 50, but meh, I doubt it, expect instanced crap.

Edited by Tekkoclarky