Worst levelling experience so far

lovefool

I levelled a Jedi Consular, Trooper and Smuggler and I must say, the Sith Warrior is the worst class of all the classes I have levelled so far.

The amount of damage we deal is quite low, and the amount of damage we take is quite high (talking about levelling not end game) creating unpleasant levelling experience.

Furthermore, designing the class quests to be facing 3-4 elites in a row is not a wise course of action considering the squishiness and disability to kill/survive the elites without a 20 minute cooldown with a healing companion.

It is all roses and peaches that it gets better at lvl 40+, however I am levelling now and feeling the lack of either survivability and/or power right now, not 10 levels later.

As I was saying, either give the Sith Warrior some lovin' or design class quests better.

Thanks.

Edited by lovefool
Re-worded title

Leveled a mara and sin to 50. Leveled gunslinger and commando to the 20s

and now I'm leveling a Jug currently 33

Looks like you just need to learn to play melee better.

with my Jug never have I died on a class quest boss so far. You just need to gear up properly (companions included) and use your skills properly

I levelled a Jedi Consular, Trooper and Smuggler and I must say, the Sith Warrior is the worst class of all the classes I have levelled so far.

The amount of damage we deal is quite low, and the amount of damage we take is quite high (talking about levelling not end game) creating unpleasant levelling experience.

Furthermore, designing the class quests to be facing 3-4 elites in a row is not a wise course of action considering the squishiness and disability to kill/survive the elites without a 20 minute cooldown with a healing companion.

It is all roses and peaches that it gets better at lvl 40+, however I am levelling now and feeling the lack of either survivability and/or power right now, not 10 levels later.

As I was saying, either give the Sith Warrior some lovin' or design class quests better.

Thanks.

Juggs don't have low survivability... are you using soresu form? If not, are you running Quinn as your companion?

Without any type of self-healing abilities, you REALLY should use one of these things to keep your ever-draining health pool up. That's simply a fact of "life" in any MMO.

Edited by Anatlos

Leveled a mara and sin to 50. Leveled gunslinger and commando to the 20s

and now I'm leveling a Jug currently 33

Looks like you just need to learn to play melee better.

with my Jug never have I died on a class quest boss so far. You just need to gear up properly (companions included) and use your skills properly

No issues with Jaesa's former master? The Elite you have to kill 3 times in a row?

My Jedi Consular is a Shadow, my first character and my main I had no such issues what so ever with him.

My gear is either from quest rewards, Alderaan commendations and/or instances plus there is nothing better on the AH.

Juggs don't have low survivability... are you using soresu form? If not, are you running Quinn as your companion?

Without any type of self-healing abilities, you REALLY should use one of these things to keep your ever-draining health pool up. That's simply a fact of "life" in any MMO.

I might have mislead with my statement, they have fine survivability when you have cooldowns up (deflection etc.) however outside of those CDs my hp is dropping pretty fast and for some reason Quinn is barely doing his job (yes he is in healing stance, yest his damaging abilities are off and yes I am buying gear from him from GTN whenever it is available).

I am speced vengeance and use that spec's form. Yes, I am using Quinn and he is geared as good as the available gear from quests and the GTN.

My issue is, even when dealing with normal mobs, it takes way longer for me to kill those mobs when in Jugg dps spec than it did when I was in Shadow tanking spec, which doesn't seem right.

I have tried (with the exception of the smuggler/agent) every class in the game, most of the to 30+.

And Out of all of them, the Jugg is still my favorite. enough of one that I'm starting a second one.

they have a much different playstyle then many of the other classes. After playing (and really enjoying) my Jugg, the other classes seem sort of boring.

I will admit, the class limitations are enough that I would like to see some adjustments. Nothing game breaking, but fine polishing. We could use a little more strength in the solo arena, don't want to get into details in this thread. But these needs have not stopped me from playing the class and loving it (a second time through even).

there's nothing wrong with expressing your frustration. But you can't call a class broke when man many people have been playing and enjoying their Jugg's. But if the combination of different playstyle (that's the biggest) along with their current state (work OK, need some polishing), then perhaps it isn't the class for you.

My BH and consular/inquisitors are mind numbingly easy to play compared to my Jugg. And I like that. all the need is a small buff to solo survivability and their fine. sorry you had a bad experience. When I first started a jugg (knight actually), I was put off. It was different then my shadow i had played up to that point.

I decided to come back later on (when my SC had gotten high enough to want a break), and started fresh. I really began to enjoy the mechanics, but didn't like many of the knights animations. tried the jugg and loved it. It's all about the mechanics. I had to push myself past a certain threshold (lvl 20 or so) to really enjoy it. But if your pushing 30 or so, and still not liking it, it may not be for you.

Personally, I'd recommend running a vengance build with Quinn for heals. Yeah, it sucks to not always be able to play with vette or Jaena, but if your having struggles use him. you won't get him till 20 or so, so learn how to let vette pull a few weak mobs of her own (wait a few seconds to spam smash, make sure her AoE is enabled. she'll pull a few, you tag the other few to down on your own). Once you get Quinn it's pretty smooth from that point on. If you have quinn, are past lvl 25 or so, and still not liking it, then the class may not be for you.

Edit: on jaesa's boss, I wiped the first time because I wasn't expecting the battle. Second time I more wisely spaced out and planned my CD's and finished him off with about 1/3 of my health left.

It's all about managing cooldowns on this class. I play an SC too on repub side...and I can pretty much hit buttons on him and do fine. On tougher mobs on My jug I have to plan it out. But it works quite well...recently on Quesh (lvl 37) soloed a lvl 37 champion with quinn healing in the background...ended up at the end with about 90% health left.

Edit Edit: Sorry this is growing so long...but when I play my Jugg i have about as long a kill time as my SC. Perhaps we should look at gear/rotation on what you are doing. On the flip side, Jugg as a class is VERY gear dependent. very. Less so with quinn and vengance (compared to Immortal with dps pet), but still you need to be on it. I always had a purple hilt for my saber, the rest were blue (and yes...i fought the champ shortly after replacing my hilt with a new lvl 37 Purple). But still...with quinn I'm pretty much grinding at a similar pace as taht of my SC. But I pretty much have a solid rotation. When I fall out of my rotation, it does slow down. Skill useage (which one, how, when) really matters on this class.

Edited by Elyx

No issues with Jaesa's former master? The Elite you have to kill 3 times in a row?

That fight and the one on Tatooine are the most difficult ones. On my Jugg those were the only fights I really needed to fire my defensive cooldowns. Still did them both on first try.

I also leveled a Trooper to somewhere beyond 35 and a Jedi Guardian to 47 or something. The Trooper was easier to play. The Guardian was much more difficult, because it had a lot more of those fights that require defensive cooldowns and precise management of interrupts.

Don't be afraid to use medpacks and defensive cooldowns. Their only cost is a short timesink before you can use them again. But their benefits are well worth it in close fights. Also if you use Vette (and later Jaesa) as your companion send her in first if you know it's gonna get close. That way she takes the initial damage until you take away threat of her. Gives you a nice cushion to survive.

Thanks.

Yea that jedi was tough, but the whole fight was just so unbelievably epic that it was all worth it. I was able to beat him all 3 times on my first attempt, but it came down to the wire each and every time, like me with less than 500 health left. That fight alone was worth the $60.

My memories may be different had I died on that fight, but beating him 3 times in a row coming within a breath of life each time made my character *feel* like the darth lord of the sith he is.

Act 1 sw was a masterpiece, difficulty and all.

Though I never really understood why people get stuck on the sand demon, he was a pushover compared to nomen karr.

And Out of all of them, the Jugg is still my favorite. enough of one that I'm starting a second one.

The Sith Warrior story is truly fascinating and I really do enjoy playing it from a story wise POV as well as liking their abilities (choke, push, their aggressive light saber fighting style etc)

But from my previous experiences, I am having way more "frustrating" situations with my sith warrior than I had with my other characters.

they have a much different playstyle then many of the other classes. After playing (and really enjoying) my Jugg, the other classes seem sort of boring.

I surely use more abilities on the jugg than on my shadow or trooper for instance however, as a melee class the options for various styles of melee combat are quite limited.

I most certainly am trying to LoS elite mobs giving some time for Quinn to heal me up, or chaining certain abilities in order to get maximum downtime of attacks on me etc, interrupting whenever I can with both physical interruprs as well as choke/push etc yet sometimes that doesn't feel enough, as the damage from certain abilities seems rather low and my defenses, except for 1 very helpful CD are not enough when in certain situations having to face multiple strong/elite mobs.

I will admit, the class limitations are enough that I would like to see some adjustments. Nothing game breaking, but fine polishing. We could use a little more strength in the solo arena, don't want to get into details in this thread. But these needs have not stopped me from playing the class and loving it (a second time through even).

I am absolutely sure it is not game breaking, since any people have Juggs and enjoy playing them, I am merely pointing out (and not speaking for anyone but me) that there some areas of improvement needed, from my POV, in order to make it as enjoyable as other classes, but that is my subjective opinion and I accept the fact that it might differ from the majority, therefore not really mattering that much, and I am sorry if I infuriated someone.

there's nothing wrong with expressing your frustration. But you can't call a class broke when man many people have been playing and enjoying their Jugg's. But if the combination of different playstyle (that's the biggest) along with their current state (work OK, need some polishing), then perhaps it isn't the class for you.

Once again, I am sorry if it came across like that, or even if I have written it down like that which is very much possible. The class itself is not broken, as I am sure there would be complains on a much more massive scale than just one frustrated poster ^^. As for the play style, I did play other mmo's and had many melee classes, but usually and most of the time, each melee had a specific trait, was it either being good at defences, self-healing capabilities, doing great spike damage or sustained damge etc, but I, once again having a personal feeling, think that Juggernauts whilst levelling, show none of the above or do not excell at any particular field.

My BH and consular/inquisitors are mind numbingly easy to play compared to my Jugg. And I like that. all the need is a small buff to solo survivability and their fine. sorry you had a bad experience. When I first started a jugg (knight actually), I was put off. It was different then my shadow i had played up to that point.

I guess you had a similar experience to me and that is why you got put off but I am trying to get over it and I keep playing it because I like the idea of the Juggernaut.

I decided to come back later on (when my SC had gotten high enough to want a break), and started fresh. I really began to enjoy the mechanics, but didn't like many of the knights animations. tried the jugg and loved it. It's all about the mechanics. I had to push myself past a certain threshold (lvl 20 or so) to really enjoy it. But if your pushing 30 or so, and still not liking it, it may not be for you.

I very much like the looks and mechanics of things (mechanics as in the abilities, animations and styles) but as I previously mentioned, when playing the Juggernaut, I feel there is not one field where they would shine and that is probably what is frustrating me the most.

Personally, I'd recommend running a vengance build with Quinn for heals. Yeah, it sucks to not always be able to play with vette or Jaena, but if your having struggles use him. you won't get him till 20 or so, so learn how to let vette pull a few weak mobs of her own (wait a few seconds to spam smash, make sure her AoE is enabled. she'll pull a few, you tag the other few to down on your own). Once you get Quinn it's pretty smooth from that point on. If you have quinn, are past lvl 25 or so, and still not liking it, then the class may not be for you.

That is exactly what I am doing my friend. Vengeance spec with Quinn out all the time, upgrading his and mine gear through instances and GTN whenever possible, yet I still come accross problems (such as ending up on 1/3 of hp even when facing a group of 5 standard mobs)

Edit: on jaesa's boss, I wiped the first time because I wasn't expecting the battle. Second time I more wisely spaced out and planned my CD's and finished him off with about 1/3 of my health left.

Edit Edit: Sorry this is growing so long...but when I play my Jugg i have about as long a kill time as my SC. Perhaps we should look at gear/rotation on what you are doing. On the flip side, Jugg as a class is VERY gear dependent. very. Less so with quinn and vengance (compared to Immortal with dps pet), but still you need to be on it. I always had a purple hilt for my saber, the rest were blue (and yes...i fought the champ shortly after replacing my hilt with a new lvl 37 Purple). But still...with quinn I'm pretty much grinding at a similar pace as taht of my SC. But I pretty much have a solid rotation. When I fall out of my rotation, it does slow down. Skill useage (which one, how, when) really matters on this class.

Well I usually charge into the group, followed by Smash when it is standard mobs, letting Quin cc one mob, I push one mob away and use Revenge on another mob to lock 3 mobs out during the process, usually finish with a choke, depending on how much HP the Revenge'd mob has left in order to not waste it. By the time he gets killed Quinns cc breaks and I go onto that mob, applying sundering stacks and Impaling/Force screaming the mob to death, basically rinse and repeat as much as possible. I always go for the weaker mobs first, and move my way up to the strongest ones. Might be also that around this level most classes have a sort of CC lasting up to a minute, except the Juggernaut, which would help a lot during levelling I guess.

Oh I just did that fight last night on my jug at lvl 31 I believe. never even bothered to pop a medpack.

When fighting bosses always interrupt their casts. I don't recall him doing casts though but pretty much I start out the fight with push, charge, sunder, impale, scream, choke, rinse and repeat with a priority on impale and retaliate every chance I get, as well enrage. I might have popped saber ward at one point just remember when **** gets bad you can always use call on the force and pop it again.

Against normal mobs I always always prioritize abilities with a stun component. Meaning I will open on a group with smash, hilt strike one and finish it with sunder. The next one I force scream to keep it stunned and finish up with impale/sunder/vicious and ravage the last. If i need a bit of a breather for the strong mob left then I might choke him but I usually only use that on elites as the damage per second is too low.

As a vengeance spec I find I have TOO much rage so I'm always blowing it away with retaliation. It's really awesome as it triggers no gcd so it's really like doing 2x vicious slashes in one go.

To be fair, ranged classes will always have a much easier time. My commando plows through mobs and all I have to do is alternate between a few aoes abilities or just spam grav round all day. My powertech was able to dish out 200k damage in a warzone as a fresh level 10. Melee classes will always be more frustrating but more rewarding because you actually need to challenge yourself and understand all your abilities to play effectively

Edited by GhostHei

50 Sorc PvPer here (full BM)

MUCH less enjoyable leveling. Really they should amp the damage for Jugg in killing power. Having said that, I am enjoying the challenge. You have to work for it to get good at it. And work it is......

But a lot of fun. Just need to tweak the class.

One thing i don't understand is why Sundering Assault doesn't replace Assault. Seems like an obviously swap and yet they put a cool down on it.... why? Shrug

Love the class and looking forward to seeing the story play out!

That is exactly what I am doing my friend. Vengeance spec with Quinn out all the time, upgrading his and mine gear through instances and GTN whenever possible, yet I still come accross problems (such as ending up on 1/3 of hp even when facing a group of 5 standard mobs)

Well I usually charge into the group, followed by Smash when it is standard mobs, letting Quin cc one mob, I push one mob away and use Revenge on another mob to lock 3 mobs out during the process, usually finish with a choke, depending on how much HP the Revenge'd mob has left in order to not waste it. By the time he gets killed Quinns cc breaks and I go onto that mob, applying sundering stacks and Impaling/Force screaming the mob to death, basically rinse and repeat as much as possible. I always go for the weaker mobs first, and move my way up to the strongest ones. Might be also that around this level most classes have a sort of CC lasting up to a minute, except the Juggernaut, which would help a lot during levelling I guess.

With Veng and Quinn you should have relatively few problems with killing anything. A few tips from my leveling:

1) Turn off auto cast on Quinn's CC and, in fact, never have him use it. It is an 8 sec channel; you would be in a much better position with him spam healing you for 8 seconds then stunning 1 mob for 8 seconds. If it is on autocast he will try to use it on cooldown as well; this got me killed several times early on as he would be tarding out trying to cc something instead of healing. Overall this was the biggest buff to my survivability while leveling. Remember to turn on his healing stance too as this gets turned off sometimes.

2) Buy a new lightsaber hilt at the end of every planet. As Vengeance many of your attacks are based off your saber damage; sundering assault and Impale are the most significant but I believe shatter may be influenced by the MH damage as well (not sure for Shatter). This will ensure that your abilities are doing appropriate damage for each planet.

3) Use your defensive cooldowns early. Saberward is only 25% reduction so popping it when you are low hp is pretty useless. Same thing with endure pain; since the % HP will go away I found it is more useful to use this to cushion your normal HP level.

4) When fighting single high HP enemies, use force choke as another defensive cooldown. This is 4 extra seconds for Quin to heal you without you taking damage.

5) Abuse unstoppable. Most enemies are ranged so you can run out and charge back in to get 4 seconds of 20% reduced damage. This will also give more rage for more damage.

I am speced vengeance and use that spec's form. Yes, I am using Quinn and he is geared as good as the available gear from quests and the GTN.

My issue is, even when dealing with normal mobs, it takes way longer for me to kill those mobs when in Jugg dps spec than it did when I was in Shadow tanking spec, which doesn't seem right.

This might be your problem, you are running with a healer comp and I am looking at the vengeance tree it doesnt seem to be all that great. If you had at least gone with the rage tree, you would have burst aoe damage. I'm talking about gathering all those weak and standard mobs, choking/force crush then stomping and one shotting all those weak/standard mobs. This tactic should be viable until Belsavis at which point you will encounter packs of 5 that are too spread out for a single stomp.

Also i notice that most people run healer comps when it isnt necessary. You can run as a tank with a dps comp, or dps/dps for most of your levelling. Although dps & dps comp warriors will eventually reach a point where you have to always run a healer.

On my 33 Jugg i am spec'd full immortal and i run with Vetta/Jaesa. We have no problem killing mobs or even elites. I dont expect to come out of these fights with 95% + hp, so i have to be aware and make sure i dont get wandering elites. I only bust out Quinn when i know i am gonna have a hard fight ahead.

P.S. Jaesa's master is not really a good benchmark of what an elite can do. Yah you do have to fight him 3 times, but the first 2 times his hits are very weak. The 3rd time he hits a bit harder, but even then he was no problem for me.

EDIT: and also if you insist on running with Quinn, try to avoid charging at enemies from max range. I've noticed that he doesnt heal me as much when i do this, spossibly cause i am outranging him. So now i just charge from minimum-mid range.

Edited by swtonewbie

This might be your problem, you are running with a healer comp and I am looking at the vengeance tree it doesnt seem to be all that great. If you had at least gone with the rage tree, you would have burst aoe damage. I'm talking about gathering all those weak and standard mobs, choking/force crush then stomping and one shotting all those weak/standard mobs. This tactic should be viable until Belsavis at which point you will encounter packs of 5 that are too spread out for a single stomp.

Burst AoE damage, with downtime after blowing your load on Smash, if you're Rage specialized.

Looking at Vengeance tree and trying it out/really working with it, are definitely not the same. Vengeance tree though, is really fun. You would do well to put three points into Battle Cry for the free Force Scream when you pounce. Until you get Shatter and Vicious Throw, your bread and butter attacks will be Force Scream and Impale, with Sundering Assault and Smash thrown in whenever. Sure, you won't get the big Hulk Smash! AoE numbers of a Rage monkey throwing Smash around, but your damage is more sustained, especially for long and tougher fights.

If you want a good experience, you can always go Immortal spec, and gear out for strength over endurance, with heavy stacking of crit/accuracy/surge. You've got Soresu stance for defense, and the crowd control utility to weather tougher fights. Bring Jaesa or Vette along to burn stuff fast.

The last thing to look at, is whether or not you're just blowing through the class story and dumping the other planet missions, instead of completing the planet before moving on. If you underlevel yourself, your time does get tougher to do things.

Thats your problem. Here are some solutions:

1.) Level as Immortal - Soresu is your friend

2.) Pick up Biochem/Bioanalysis - The stims, adrenals, and medpacs are fantastic

3.) Use Jaesa. She is the perfect companion as her buffs work great with melee

I used Quinne for the last two bosses in our class quest

IMO Veng is prolly the worst of the leveling specs. Go Immortal and outlast stuff or go Rage and melt stuff.

Thats your problem. Here are some solutions:

1.) Level as Immortal - Soresu is your friend

2.) Pick up Biochem/Bioanalysis - The stims, adrenals, and medpacs are fantastic

3.) Use Jaesa. She is the perfect companion as her buffs work great with melee

I used Quinne for the last two bosses in our class quest

IMO Veng is prolly the worst of the leveling specs. Go Immortal and outlast stuff or go Rage and melt stuff.

All three points are correct. Jaesa has an armor penetration stance(which works nicely if you have Crushing Blow and/or Improved Sundering Assault), so that she hits even harder. She can also utilize a bleed damage stance(also a good stance for her).

Biochem/Bioanalysis gives you great staying power with reusable medpacs/adrenals/stimpacks, and you can make your own implants, and heal better than vendor drugs..

Immortal gives you staying power, and crowd control utility to weather tough fights. And if you feel so inclined, you can throw in damage boosting stats to deal good damage, since you have the armor, shield, and defense boost from Soresu.

Haven't quite gotten to the class story finale, as I've just started Belsavvis at 45-46(I can't help it, I like clearing out planet missions, planet heroics, and bonus series missions before I move on.)

Thanks.

Uh what?

I've leveled 3 classes to 40 now, an Assassin, a Merc and a Jugg...

Guess which one I thought was the easiest to level, died the least amount of times on, and simply blew through every quest I came to on?

That's right, my jugg.

So I really have no idea what you are doing wrong here, but trust me, it isn't the class.

And please enlighten me, which pre-40 class quest do we have to fight 3-4 golds in a row?

Just had to chime in for what little its worth. I'm only level 26 so far so haven't done the boss encounter your referring to, but as Immortal spec I'm melting through stuff with no trouble so far, Elites, multiple strong's and even soloed 2 champions so far.

So far using Vette for pretty much everything, I do have to switch to Quinn for Flashpoints and Champions but that's about it and I can "almost" solo a champion using Vette, in fact I might be able to at this point.

Looking forward to getting Jaesa and trying her but Vette melts stuff if you keep her gear up to date and her guns as top of the line as you can. For regular solo groups tho I mostly jump from group to group without even slowing down so it sounds like we're having pretty different experiences so far. Can only assume its the spec/companion difference.

Warriors suck early on, especially Juggernauts. Marauders get better the minute you get your AC since you get Battering Assault and the talents to give you more rage right now, but Juggernauts start out having the DPS of a tank and the tank skills of a DPS.

It all comes down to Rage Generation and Abilities. Juggernauts get so many key abilities and rage-savers late game, and it's hard to fix because nearly all of our abilities are key for one reason or another, and would be overpowering if Hybrids got ahold of them.

All three points are correct. Jaesa has an armor penetration stance(which works nicely if you have Crushing Blow and/or Improved Sundering Assault), so that she hits even harder. She can also utilize a bleed damage stance(also a good stance for her).

Biochem/Bioanalysis gives you great staying power with reusable medpacs/adrenals/stimpacks, and you can make your own implants, and heal better than vendor drugs..

Immortal gives you staying power, and crowd control utility to weather tough fights. And if you feel so inclined, you can throw in damage boosting stats to deal good damage, since you have the armor, shield, and defense boost from Soresu.

Haven't quite gotten to the class story finale, as I've just started Belsavvis at 45-46(I can't help it, I like clearing out planet missions, planet heroics, and bonus series missions before I move on.)

I hate Jaesa because she's always taking too much damage and dying. Vette stays at a distance and just rains damage, keeping mostly out of trouble, and she even has better armor. Jaesa's stances were both very underwhelming to me and didn't make up for the fact that she forces me to wait after fights to heal her up, where with Vette the fights end faster and I don't have nearly as much downtime.

Edited by Vid-szhite

I hate Jaesa because she's always taking too much damage and dying. Vette stays at a distance and just rains damage, keeping mostly out of trouble, and she even has better armor. Jaesa's stances were both very underwhelming to me and didn't make up for the fact that she forces me to wait after fights to heal her up, where with Vette the fights end faster and I don't have nearly as much downtime.

That's very strange. I don't know if you throw guard on her or not, but I never leave home w/o it. My Jaesa currently has about 1k+ more health than I do(I like to build my companions to have decent endurance, with each member fully being in modular gear), and I always end up throwing my crowd control everywhere so that we rip the groups apart fast. The only time where she didn't last long was in the kilik heroic area in southeastern Alderaan on the way to a datacron(elite bugs all chain grappling you and your companion is for the birds, I tell you.)

I suppose part of the reason I use Jaesa is that my character is married to her, and it doesn't feel right bringing Vette along.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.