The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

31-0-10 or 24-0-17 for 1v1 pvp?

Azesino

infiltration

Infiltration is terrible. It's quite possibly the worst talent tree in the game at the moment.

I recommend 31/0/10 for small-scale PvP. The additional damage and healing that comes out of a 3-stack Harnessed Shadows-infused Telekinetic Throw is not to be underestimated. The talent only gets better as you gear up and gain more health.

Also, the buff to Slow Time made its damage respectable, and it has a snare on it now. This makes you quite hard to kite.

If you don't like the way Kinetic plays out then I recommend going a full-on Balance spec and playing like a mid-range caster, using Sever Force, Force in Balance, Telekinetic Throw, Project, Force Breach, and Force Slow against melee classes and charging into melee range for Saber Strike-fueled Mind Crush procs. It's pretty comical to watch Marauders chase you in frustration as you keep them at bay with kiting abilities.

Hybrid: 24/0/17

Tank: 31/0/11

Hybrid will lose to Tank 1v1. Nearly every time.

Tank will have a harder time DPSing down a healer.

Hybrid will have a harder time against a powertech tank.

Tank will have a harder time vs ranged kiters, as he will be less able to use throw.

Tank has 1 less escape tool.

Hybrid has no self heal.

Tank has PBAE vs Hybrids 30m GTAE.

if I ever respec out of kenetic (31/0/10) I think I will try out a full Balance build. Seems like it could be annoying fun.
Been thinking about this too. Can't be much worse than infiltration(I like the playing style but just not how weak it is) right? :) Edited by shagatha

Been thinking about this too. Can't be much worse than infiltration(I like the playing style but just not how weak it is) right? :)

Yea. When they finally put dual spec in my secondary spec will be balance for teh lols. 1v1 it will be a mean spec. I think it will also be good for PvE in raids and such.

Man, there I was. 11 to 1. MAN, we pwnd that 1 sorry guy! :D

I sincerely hope so. If you're getting your *** handed to you if you and 10 mates gang up on 1 guy you need to seriously re-look your strategy as well as your choice in team mates. :rolleyes:

Glad to see somebody with brains and a sense of humor around here :rolleyes:

1v1 means u have more balls then facing 11?:eek:

Dumb-***! :p

Why so serious?.........

Edited by Shutcho

The best 1v1 spec that is popular is 31/1/9.

I run a 31/3/7 and find it even superior to 31/1/9. 1pt Int Tac, 2pt Shadow Res.

Ps - I encourage all previous Inf spec players to take 1pt in Inf Tac. The proc is always up as KC due to the AoE from Slow Time. If you are not a prev. Inf player, then using Shadow Strike effectively will take you some time, perhaps a month, to be an advantage and not a detriment(key is your positioning, and it's not an ability you can really pre-queue like a Double Strike, so until you can learn to hit it at near the exact moment the GCD ends you're wasting time by tryin to use it). If you can't get used to it just spec 31/0/10, as there's nothing wrong with it, but it's not optimal for 1v1 imo.

I use the standard 31/0/10 spec for solo Ilum PvP, It was a quite night on ilum tonight but before my router caved in I was on 16 kills for zero deaths (vast majority were 1v1's with a couple of 2v1's). I feel alot more comfortable soloing as a kinetic shadow, as quite often a 1v1 turns into a 2v1 or 3v1 especially around the middle of the map.

I'm a huge fan of 23/0/18. Here's a couple reasons why:

-Unlike Kinetic, which has some real energy issues, the balance spec has some of the best energy management outside of deep infiltration. It gets Psychokinesis, Force Strike, and Once with the Force. Force in Balance is super good DPE as well.

-Telekinetic Throw is cumbersome, and weak outside of Force Potency. The healing returns are less significant due to the PVP -30% healing and having to completely immobilize yourself can expose you to even more damage than you heal.

-Mind Crush hits like a BEAST, and it's FREE. Nothing in either infiltration or kinetic comes even close to the value of a single talent in terms of raw increase in damage.

-Containment is a better utility than force slow. Healers are amazing in this game, and being able to shut them down for 8 whole seconds WILL turn the tables of any battle in your favor.

-Its damage is SIGNIFICANTLY better than 31/0/10. I don't think anyone can argue this. FiB, MC, and FB are all very powerful abilities, while Kinetics main nuke, Project, is hardly even better than our own Project. Not to mention the flow of the kinetic tree means you'll actually have respectable Force Technique damage when you're using Battle Readiness.

-It's defense is only SLIGHTLY worse than 31/0/10. You lose 9% physical/internal resistance, about 15% kinetic resistance, and 5% damage reduction from Slow Time, while having the same amount of defense, which means as long as your not stunned, you'll be mitigating a lot of damage from deflections and parries already.

-You can still use Combat Technique. You lose a decent portion of your damage, but if you just really need to guard and survive (you're running the huttball, or protecting the huttball) you can switch to it. A 31/0/10 has no advantage from going into Force Technique.

Edited by Virid