Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server population is dropping...

Miffy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed pretty big drop on Hex Droid (PvP EU). I remember I saw 200+ people on the fleet, but today is 90-100.. and it's weekends.. Makes me sad.

Excellent scientific research, that one time you saw less people is proof enough for me! Shut the game down! It's dead.

Excellent scientific research, that one time you saw less people is proof enough for me! Shut the game down! It's dead.

That's the thing about perceptions: they're usually more powerful than facts and numbers to the consumer. If people feel like the game is losing people, it's losing people (whether it factually is or isn't).

I just wan server transfers for those of use who have mains on dead servers... on my server the fleet has 40 people max at prime time. Seriously, I'd pay to have my level 44 commando, who is my main, transferred to a server where I feel like I'm not gimping myself by playing him.

This is a logical fallacy. (petitio principii)You are drawing a conclusion, or a cause based on either a false premise, or an assumed, unproven event. There is no proof of your assumption, therefore your conclusion is faulty.

You are also attempting to associate two unrelated events under cause and effect.

Lol. Yeah, that's right, people reporting a drop in population, problems with end game are all just "haters" telling lies, aren't they. :rolleyes::p

Look, people are saying that there are noticable drops in the populations on the servers they're on. Now you can choose to disbelieve that if you like, but that doesn't change the actual possibility that it may be happening.

As I said, IF that is true then it really shouldn't be surprising given what we already know or have been told in the past.

Firstly, we have been previously told that there is approximately 200 hours worth of story based content for leveling. Secondly, past studies have proven that an "average gamer" plays an MMO for approximately 3 - 4 hours per day for the first month or so after release (perhaps more at weekends). So, let's do the maths:

200 hours / 3 - 4 hours per day = 50 - 66 days worth of content.

Note: The game launched around 20th December. That was 68 days ago.

This means that it is entirely within the realms of possibility that a portion of the playerbase has finished leveling up one character, shifted focus to end game content and found it lacking and thus grown bored. One only needs to look at the forums, comments made by people in the game AND what the devs are doing to see that end game needs work in a variety of areas if the game is to stand a chance at retaining subs.

Now, before anyone says otherwise, remember that the kind of player who focuses on just one or two characters is what Bioware themselves class as the "traditional MMO mindset", and is acknowledged as being a large portion of their intended audience.

Of course, a portion of those no longer playing could also just be a cause of the usual "natural drop off" that occurs with MMO launches.

Now, one can choose to disbelieve the figures if they want. And whilst they are at it, they can also choose to disbelieve what has been evident over the last 8 or so years in the MMO industry. Thus employing the "emu method" (burying one's head in the sand and pretending nothing is going on). But, in my humble opinion, they would be naive to do so.

This is why IF there is a drop off, then it really doesn't surprise me.

Edited by Tarka

That's the thing about perceptions: they're usually more powerful than facts and numbers to the consumer. If people feel like the game is losing people, it's losing people (whether it factually is or isn't).

100% Agree. This industry relies a LOT on perception. Just like other industries do such as politics and Wall Street. If people BELIEVE that something is occuring (or not occurring) then they may lose confidence in it.

That is precisely why good, clear and honest communication structures are imperative to head off what may be false perceptions. But if there isn't evidence to show that a perception is indeed false, then the perception begins to "snowball" as more and more people begin to percieve the same thing. Irrespective of whether or not it's actually true.

Edited by Tarka

Dont get me wrong, im not joining the torches and pitchforks mob storming SWTOR Castle at the moment but i got to Quesh last night on my Sith Marauder, and i kid you not, there were a total of eight people on, and this was a saturday night! im really enjoying the game but their PR department needs to step it up a little

I was on Quesh on Ludo Kresh European server yesterday morning and I was the only one there for several hours. I logged in later in the evening 8.30pm GMT and there were 4 players.

Lol. Yeah, that's right, people reporting a drop in population, problems with end game are all just "haters" telling lies, aren't they. :rolleyes::p

Look, people are saying that there are noticable drops in the populations on the servers they're on. Now you can choose to disbelieve that if you like, but that doesn't change the actual possibility that it may be happening.

As I said, IF that is true then it really shouldn't be surprising given what we already know or have been told in the past.

Firstly, we have been previously told that there is approximately 200 hours worth of story based content for leveling. Secondly, past studies have proven that an "average gamer" plays an MMO for approximately 3 - 4 hours per day for the first month or so after release (perhaps more at weekends). So, let's do the maths:

200 hours / 3 - 4 hours per day = 50 - 66 days worth of content.

Note: The game launched around 20th December. That was 68 days ago.

This means that it is entirely within the realms of possibility that a portion of the playerbase has finished leveling up one character, shifted focus to end game content and found it lacking and thus grown bored. One only needs to look at the forums, comments made by people in the game AND what the devs are doing to see that end game needs work in a variety of areas if the game is to stand a chance at retaining subs.

Now, before anyone says otherwise, remember that the kind of player who focuses on just one or two characters is what Bioware themselves class as the "traditional MMO mindset", and is acknowledged as being a large portion of their intended audience.

Of course, a portion of those no longer playing could also just be a cause of the usual "natural drop off" that occurs with MMO launches.

Now, one can choose to disbelieve the figures if they want. And whilst they are at it, they can also choose to disbelieve what has been evident over the last 8 or so years in the MMO industry. Thus employing the "emu method" (burying one's head in the sand and pretending nothing is going on). But, in my humble opinion, they would be naive to do so.

This is why IF there is a drop off, then it really doesn't surprise me.

and IFGrasshoppers had machine guns... bird's wouldn't fook with them

Edited by Taorus

I was on Quesh on Ludo Kresh European server yesterday morning and I was the only one there for several hours. I logged in later in the evening 8.30pm GMT and there were 4 players.

Quesh is a little planet and doesn't have nothing of interesting.

We have to look others planets (ilum; Belsavis; Alderaan; Tatooine etc.).

Everybody wants proof --- go see the real stats for yourselfs. easy

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

that is intresting but it doesn't show population only if the server is "offline, low, med, high"

so if the wow server caps are at 200, and swtor is at 1000, a "medium server" on swtor ( 500 players ) has more of a population that a "high" server on wow ( 200 )

NOT SAYING THAT THAT IS HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ACTAULLY ON THERE. just saying no one knows except for the bizzard devs, and the EA devs.

Edited by TheACow

and IFGrasshoppers had machine guns... bird's wouldn't fook with them

Given the circumstances, which is more believable: a drop in subs, or grasshoppers with guns?

Say's the guy with the agenda;)

People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

Edited by Tarka

Given the circumstances, which is more believable: a drop in subs, or grasshoppers with guns?

Depends on what kind of drop you're talking about. If you mean a drop to current rift levels like that guy a few posts above then, yes, grasshoppers with guns is much more believable.

Depends on what kind of drop you're talking about. If you mean a drop to current rift levels like that guy a few posts above then, yes, grasshoppers with guns is much more believable.

Unless a person has a character on every single server and is constantly checking pop levels, you cannot know for sure whether a persons claim that they are seeing a noticable drop in subs is correct or not.

So to say that a noticable drop in subs on ANY server is more unlikely than say, seeing a grasshopper with a gun, is foolish at best.

Like Smarties, only the devs know the answer.

Edited by Tarka

It would be unwise and dare I say foolish to just outright dismiss any statements about a noticable drop in subs. Unless a person has a character on every single server and is constantly checking pop levels, you cannot know for sure whether a persons claim that they are seeing a noticable drop in subs is correct or not.

Same could be said about an increase in subs. While a slight drop is more probable than a slight increase you simply don't know.

Same could be said about an increase in subs. While a slight drop is more probable than a slight increase you simply don't know.

I agree. A slight decrease is indeed quite probable given the circumstances. "Natural drop off" can play a part in that. But not completely.

However, a noticable decrease is also quite probable given that we are entering into the phase of an MMO's life whereby more and more people hit max level. Those who are less interested in rolling alts shift their focus from leveling to end game content. And then begin to analyse whether there is content that suits them. Thus they question whether or not they should continue to play (or even subscribe).

Those who ignore history, are doomed to repeat it.

Edited by Tarka

However, a noticable decrease is also quite probable given that we are entering into the phase of an MMO's life whereby more and more people hit max level.

Not necessarily. There hasn't been a previous mmo that had significant focus in creating alts. We'll see whether the majority will like this design but it'll take a few more months and it will definitely be a factor in the size of the playerbase.

Unless a person has a character on every single server and is constantly checking pop levels, you cannot know for sure whether a persons claim that they are seeing a noticable drop in subs is correct or not.

So to say that a noticable drop in subs on ANY server is more unlikely than say, seeing a grasshopper with a gun, is foolish at best.

The thing is you can't see a drop in subs. What you can see is less players on line. Which may be because of a drop in subs or it may be because people are playing less hours. Or both.

In the case of a new game, both are expected and neither is a cause of concern at the current levels.

I agree. A slight decrease is indeed quite probable given the circumstances. "Natural drop off" can play a part in that. But not completely. In my opinion.

However, a noticable decrease is also quite probable given that we are entering into the phase of an MMO's life whereby more and more people hit max level. Those who are less interested in rolling alts shift their focus from leveling to end game content. And then begin to analyse whether there is content that suits them. Thus they question whether or not they should continue to play (or even subscribe). In my opinion.

Those who ignore history, are doomed to repeat it.

fixed it for you:D

Not necessarily. There hasn't been a previous mmo that had significant focus in creating alts. We'll see whether the majority will like this design but it'll take a few more months and it will definitely be a factor in the size of the playerbase.

Oh of course, the next few months will indeed show a little more accuracy as to what the majority of the playerbase feels towards the design. Don't get me wrong, this is only the beginning of the phase where we may begin to see a change in sub levels. Not the end.