Server population is dropping...

Miffy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/signed

Finding a group as DPS at 50 is ballz on my server. Dual spec can't get here fast enough so I can tank, or dps for FP's.

Lower server pop since launch is part of the problem as well and I agree with the OP. EVERY company waits too long to server merg for some reason. It's like they are ostrich's with their head in the sand living in denial.

Larg populations are needed for grouping and it helps the economy as well. I paid for 3 months and at this stage I'm not re subbing.

Server merge's need to happen.

Dual spec needs in place

PvP needs some thing better

Like most companies though they will wait too long to make changes because they need to 'have another meeting about it'

I may be back one day; it's not a terrible game, but the situation on my server isn't working atm.

Orly ?

2pm GMT not a peak time for a European server on a Saturday? (thats 3pm CET btw) I think many would say thats peak but ok...read on..

How about 4:55PM GMT instead? (thats ~6PM CET)

Currently ONLY 1 Heavy European server (Tomb of Freedon Nadd)

My current server Red Eclipse 'Standard' and 116 on Imp Fleet. This was a sever that just after launch was hours wait to get on..

You gunna argue 5PM isnt a peak time to?

By all means debate but lets not deny the obvious.

Edit: I agree there probably will be a lot more on later tonight (7,8 or 9 pm+ GMT) but the purpose of this thread is to establish whether the server populations are dropping. I dont think anyone can deny they are now. Until BW/EA come forward and comment on this thread or a dev blog about it or whatever, we will be left to speculate...and thats NEVER a good thing.

If you know that more will be on later, then why would you call the middle of the afternoon "peak"?

It's not about how many are on Fleet or Ilum, it's about the total population of the server. ;)

As the players settle into their normal play routines, they spend less time fingering their navel in Fleet and actually going out and playing the game on the many different planets.

As for Ilum, most people just don't play there because they feel it is either broken or faction imbalance destroys it for them.

Didnt mention the other planets as the lvl 50 load on them is negligible.

Spamming chat in Fleet is the quickest way to recruit for a FP, id still be waiting if i was trying to recruit for FP on Belsavis etc

Didnt mention the other planets as the lvl 50 load on them is negligible.

Spamming chat in Fleet is the quickest way to recruit for a FP, id still be waiting if i was trying to recruit for FP on Belsavis etc

Dude, server being "Standard" HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBER OF 50S LOGGED IN.

It's based on total population playing at the moment. That would be all levels, all zones, both factions.

If you think the population is (or should be) all 50s on any server this early into the life of the game, you need to do a reality check.

Yeesh

Edited by Andryah

This thread is about dropping POPULATION. Not subscriptions. Altho how many people will pay for a game they aint playing ;)

As you say activity is decreasing - lets be honest here. Its decreasing at an alarming rate.

when i leveled i saw few reps

when i leveled alt i saw few imps

when i leveled my 2nd alt i did see some player .. or might be that it was just a npc

when i started to level my 3rd alt i tried to find out how to pause the game

..on sunday there might be a fleet population peak > 100

People don't get it so here is a graph with some perty colors for those who are a tad slow.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/weeklyfactionactivity.php?serverid=-1

Notice the ups and downs in activity? They line up quite nicely to patch release dates... the sky is in fact not falling. It's just the typical trends in a MMOs population, less people play prior to a big patch then it climbs when there is one.

Edited by BlackZoback

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

+1 i agree. Merge or be destroyed Bware.

My server has 250 rep on fleet ( server- freedom of nadd)

I think you guys need to look at your server population or re roll your lvl 50 to a new server.

that should solve all of this crying

How very insensitive, thank you for your post it helps a ton. Why is it when other people don't experience a problem that they treat others that are experiencing the problem like crap? People shouldn't have to reroll on another server and give up all the work they put into the game over the last couple months.

It is like no one understands the problem at all. You guys that are playing on servers that actually have alot of player and keep telling the names of these server, do you really think that is is these servers that is the problem? What are you trying to say?

I have leveled up my charachter to lvl 50, geared him up etc. I don't wanna reroll on a differenet server, I should not have to. MY server is empty, MANY peoples servers are empty!

This is EXACTLY what we want, we wanna be able to go to your awesome servers and play an MMORP with ACTUAL people. Nice for you that you have alot of players on your servers, but trust me, it is rare.

On my server there is MAX 50 people on the republic fleet (my home) and maybe 80 on the imperial, that is way better than most servers and it is still WAY to little for me.

You must have tampered with the screencap, this game is in outstanding form and will never go down!!!

/sarcasm off

Yep, because every single person in the game is in that one zone, and that one server controls every player in the entire game........

/sarcasm off.

Well logically speaking we can assume the game isn't growing since Bioware has said any numbers, it's a truism that Bioware is the first to shout about any game accomplishments no matter how inane they are.

The common agreement on the forums is people are reporting there servers are dropping in population, since people can't post on alts and most posts are from different people we can assume there is a massive activity drop.

Of course this could be open to error but I don't think it's unreasonable to think the game has shrunk to 1.3m subs

Logically speaking, you're making a WAG. Wild A** Guess. We've been told that there are 1.7 million subs active as of Feb. 1. Unless you prove that there is well over a million people posting on the forums complaining and informing everyone that they're leaving, you can't assume there is a massive drop. Especially when forum posters traditionally are a very small minority of any MMO's population.

And it's about as reasonable as guessing the population is a random number pulled out of a hat.

Look at the forums and the server stats all of them show that the game is losing subs left and right. No one is logging in anymore, the servers are getting smaller every week. Why I believe last night you didn't even have one heavy server.

The game is dying at a fast rate, even AoC didn't have that bad of a die off that TOR is having.

The server stats show nothing of the sort. Because the server stats don't show subscriptions.

Edited by Jxspyder

Logically speaking, you're making a WAG. Wild A** Guess. We've been told that there are 1.7 million subs active as of Feb. 1. Unless you prove that there is well over a million people posting on the forums complaining and informing everyone that they're leaving, you can't assume there is a massive drop. Especially when forum posters traditionally are a very small minority of any MMO's population.

And it's about as reasonable as guessing the population is a random number pulled out of a hat.

Not saying a massive drop but based on critical thinking we can assume the game is not growing. Bioware announces every accomplishment: IE fastest growing MMORPG and highest retention out the gate. All these things are great in an MMORPG where the focus was on leveling. Now that the majority of the playerbase is now max level, where are these claims? Nothing for over a month. Sorry every metric and rationale argument shows the game stalling at best, the only debatable fact is how many subs the game has lost.

Edited by Touchbass

Not saying a massive drop but based on critical thinking we can assume the game is not growing. Bioware announces every accomplishment: IE fastest growing MMORPG and highest retention out the gate. All these things are great in an MMORPG where the focus was on leveling. Now that the majority of the playerbase is now max level, where are these claims? Nothing for over a month. Sorry every metric and rationale argument shows the game stalling at best, the only debatable fact is how many subs the game has lost.

Great comment!!

Now let's add to the mix of the Oceana servers and not letting established toons transfer to them for 2 months. How many people do you think will just say F it and let their sub run out now? My guess is quite a few considering how often they keep getting screwed over with downtime, no lfg tool needed for outside of primetime, and now they have to wait two months to transfer toons. Good luck keeping their names and legacy names.

Actually, we can't assume that. Well, we can, but we're making unwarrented assumptions with complete lack of information.....which brings us back to WAG.

Where did those claims come out? During launch, and during SEC reportings. Point is, major accomplishment announcements come during specific times. Did you expect a monthly announcement from Bio, and if so...why?

The problem is that you're not using metrics and rational arguements. You're making assumptions and guesses with no metrics or rational to support them.

How very insensitive, thank you for your post it helps a ton. Why is it when other people don't experience a problem that they treat others that are experiencing the problem like crap? People shouldn't have to reroll on another server and give up all the work they put into the game over the last couple months.

Because he's right. You're complaining about something that was addressed at launch, and then addressed shortly after launch, and addressed a third time last month. Character transfers were being worked on. It's not a simple process. The AU/Oceanic transfer is a major test of the system. Assuming that it goes smoothly with no major problems, it will likely be rolled out soon for all servers shortly after.

If you don't want to reroll, Bioware is working on transfers. If you don't want to wait for them to impliment it, then there's really nothing anyone can do to help you.

Edited by Jxspyder

So, unless BW annouces some new record every week then the game is dying?

[quote=Jxspyder;3237079

Where did those claims come out? During launch, and during SEC reportings. Point is, major accomplishment announcements come during specific times. Did you expect a monthly announcement from Bio, and if so...why?.

Every milestone they've announced. Sorry, name one milestone this game has gotten that they haven't made very clear to the players. The game isn't making any milestones. Server populations are dropping left and right. I played WAR and other MMORPG's, I've heard many more say the sky isn't falling talk and frankly the sky did fall. Is SWTOR in better shape then those games, hell yes. Bioware needs to wake up and merge servers quickly. There is potential to hold at least 2-3m premium subs (WoW doesn't have all 10 million premium subs, i'll go into this if you ask) if they make the quality of life better or it's going to bleed subs faster then it can retain.

So, unless BW annouces some new record every week then the game is dying?

Yes.

TLDR:So your saying Bioware has 2 million subs and isn't telling us, well in reality the amount of boxes its sold since release and including the oceanic servers it should of hit 2 million subs by now? People are canceling faster then the rate of rentention

Edited by Touchbass

Generally, I agree with you -- if they don't regularly brag then something is wrong.

The difference right now is the Asian roll out. I fully expect them to boast about box sales and subs once that launch dust is settled.

Taking a page from Blizzard, they'll only talk about worldwide numbers while making it seem all those players are in the US, eg WoW's claim to having 12 million subscribers.

Every milestone they've announced. Sorry, name one milestone this game has gotten that they haven't made very clear to the players. The game isn't making any milestones. Server populations are dropping left and right. I played WAR and other MMORPG's, I've heard many more say the sky isn't falling talk and frankly the sky did fall. Is SWTOR in better shape then those games, hell yes. Bioware needs to wake up and merge servers quickly. There is potential to hold at least 2-3m premium subs (WoW doesn't have all 10 million premium subs, i'll go into this if you ask) if they make the quality of life better or it's going to bleed subs faster then it can retain.

So, as was just mentioned.....in order for this game to not die, they need to break new milestones and announce them weekly? And if they fail to make these weekly/monthly groundbreaking milestone announcements, that tacitly implies the game is dying? Knowing, of course, that you've completely missed the point of the statement you just quoted.

Yes, server populations are dropping as you come off a major holiday, and hit a dull spot in between content patches. As a veteran of numerous other MMO's....you should clearly have seen this pattern before in other, similarly designed games, correct?

Generally, I agree with you -- if they don't regularly brag then something is wrong.

The difference right now is the Asian roll out. I fully expect them to boast about box sales and subs once that launch dust is settled.

Taking a page from Blizzard, they'll only talk about worldwide numbers while making it seem all those players are in the US, eg WoW's claim to having 12 million subscribers.

Yeah fair enough, gotta realize with WoW's 10million subs a chuck of those subs aren't playing 'premium' (15 bucks) a month. Which is fine, everything in context.

Yes.

TLDR:So your saying Bioware has 2 million subs and isn't telling us, well in reality the amount of boxes its sold since release and including the oceanic servers it should of hit 2 million subs by now? People are canceling faster then the rate of rentention

No, what he was saying was that BioWare announced a 85% retention rate at the beginning of February from the two million copies sold at that point - do they need to update this statistic every single week for it to be confirmed that the game is doing fine?