The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

pvp:pyro V CP V Ironfist?

OeSan

So im 43.5 and have lvled and pvped only as full pyro. Is CP that much of a drop in dps? I see the benifit of tank stance, and the free uppercuts and rocket charge, just curious. Also how does ironfist stand in all this? ive never tried any other spec. I enjoy my dmg right now, and would love to keep being able to kill as proficient, but am not sure if full pyro is really the way to go.

HALP!

Both Iron fist and CP are tank hybrid builds. The goal is not top DPS. So yes, it will be lower than full pyro.

The basic difference is

Pyro: Full DPS

CP: Tank stance, jet charge, better dps through railshot procs

Iron Fist: Tank stance, Jet charge, more grapples and stuns, quell to interupt healers.

So if you go the hybrid, just decide between if you want to be tank with more dps (CP) or more Utility (IF).

Guess I am just worried that CP dmg is ignorable compared to full pyro.

Well it is really. Pyro does a ton of Elemental damage which has very low mitigation by all but Assassins. CP and IF do their damage with a ranged and tech attack for the most part, making them less of a damage threat. However, they have more utility with Jet Charge and their interrupts, they are also more durable. Overall, each has it's own advantage. I personally like Pyro the best, because I don't think the mitigation is better then the damage bonus from Pyro. I can stay out of sight well enough to do a lot of damage before people can get on me. Besides that, when you start to focus fire with another teammate, people die FAST. You can still use your taunts to debuff people's attack. I think Guard is highly overrated, and I only drop it on healers that know what they are doing, otherwise I'm taking damage that's not mitigated, for a player that doesn't know what they doing properly. It is nice for helping a ball carrier though. However, this is just my personal preference. I can see how a IF or CP would be better in some pre mades then Pyro. Pyro is just really good damage and mobility, which is just awesome overall.

I will say this. In a warzone i did 750k purely single target in my own personal "Deep burn" spec. So yeah... its a pretty big drop.

This. The drop in DPS when comparing Pyro to the hybrid builds is significant. You take a big armor hit when running Combustible Gas Cylinder, but in exchange you gain a ton of damage potential and the ability to use the entire range of your abilities (not just melee range).

This. The drop in DPS when comparing Pyro to the hybrid builds is significant. You take a big armor hit when running Combustible Gas Cylinder, but in exchange you gain a ton of damage potential and the ability to use the entire range of your abilities (not just melee range).

Hybrid specs are pretty much solely based on RS and RP. The only other ranged abilities the specs shared are Unload (not really used by pyro), Explosive Dart (not really used by pyro since it use TD, but it's also used by the hybrids), Rapid Shots (used by both), Missle Blast (rarely used by either), and that's it really. So no, you aren't using more ranged attacks. You do use TD, but the Hybrids use ED. Both use Railshot quite frequently. Both use FB frequently as well. Hybrid or not, you're going to be at ~10m range the whole fight, other then the beginning. Occasionally you'll sway farther out when your ranged abilities are up, but other then that, you are closer.