Sentinel - How to use Watchman skills?

MaiYun

From my experience as an Annihilation Marauder (Watchman mirror), there's no "order" to use skills in. There are priorities, though. You keep Deadly Saber (Overload Saber for Sents, I think) up at all times, you Cauterize and Merciless Slash by cooldown. If above 6 Focus, use spenders. If below focus, Zealous Strike has priority.

A small tip for stacking Overloaded Saber. Only white damage hits stack it - including Cauterize (yup, two dots in one move), and Leg Slash (important for PvP). Master Strike applies two stacks - first stack on the initial double-strike, second stack on the final attack.

Hope I helped. Good luck.

If your talking about keeping up 3 stacks of Overload Saber on your target at all times then you will be losing dps as all of your attacks that are important in the Watchman tree apply 1 stack...best you can do is just get ur 3 stacks put on ur target asap and reapply OS as soon as its off CD to your Lightsaber and start over again.

There isn't a set rotation, but I've found the following gets the shiny results I'm after:

Watchman dps is based around three key skills, with a whole ton of others supporting them.

1. Merciless Strike.

2. Cauterise.

3. Overload Saber.

Use these three pretty much every time they're available. I usually open up with Leap -> OS (while in mid-air) -> Z.Strike -> Cauterise -> Strike -> MS (If you've taken Focused Leap you can use MS straight after Cauterise, unless you needed to Kick an opponent- I dropped that talent to make room for Valor, which is godly). If MS refreshes cauterise it pays to wait until its about to end before using it again (unless it gets cleansed off ofc).

If you've already built up enough centring, now is the perfect time to pop Zen, since you'll have 3 stacks of OS and cauterise all burning away.

That's the major difference between Combat and Watchman - a lot of the other stuff (defensive cd's etc) is similar.

The PERFECT time to pop Zen is when you have 3 stacks of OS on a target and cauterise is ticking, but it's not vital, since you can't always guarantee it and you generate centring so fast (especially with Valor talented) you can spam Zen every 30 seconds or so. The other bonus of Zen is that it provides some minor healing for your party at the same time.

I've had some great kills by stacking burns, popping Zen then Force Stasis on the target followed swiftly by a Dispatch. Dispatching from Stasis has the added benefit of the target having no time to pop defensive cd's unless they 'trinket' out of Stasis - this is a skill all Sentinels can benefit from however and isn't unique to Watchman.

The other major differences are the lower cd on Force Kick, which is amazing, and the lower cd and min. range on Leap, which is also amazing. You can use it either as an extra focus generator (for pve especially) or take advantage of the range/cd in pvp to stay on target.

You can also pretty much remove Blade Storm from your bar - I've never used it since I've been Watchman spec. If you removed Slash in favour of Blade Rush you're going to want to put it back on since it's a great way to burn excess focus and it hits hard with 5/5 Juyo stack up.

I LOL so hard when people tell me they use Blade Storm in their rotation when their Watchman...Blade Storm is a 4 focus attack, for the cost of one Blade Storm you can use two slash's doing more damage and having a chance to finish Cauterize CD.

Actually, blade storm does have utility as a watchman sentinel. It has a longer range compared to slash so when an enemy is trying to get away you can use it.. Not just that its also burn damage so bypasses certain things.. Edited by AngusFTW

Maybe in PvP but I never use it, thats what leg slash is for so they dont get away...Blade Storm is just a waste of 4 focus. For players that stun you and run thats what force leap is for...there is no way anyone should ever get away from a sentinel unless they use their Force Speed. And not all classes have that ability.

I use all things situationally.

I don't use Blade Storm on a regular basis, but if Force Leap is on cooldown and I need to run to another target it is useful and will definitely use it as soon as I am range of that target. That's extra damage I wouldn't have done otherwise.

By the time you get to your target, the effective distance of the range of Blade Storm, your global cooldown is up and you will be in range to abilities in your normal rotation.

Don't mock the Blade Storm!

Edited by Chimerael

I am only level 23 right now.. but here is my rotation..

If enemy is far...

Force Leap + Overload Saber + Zealous Strike + Cauterize + Bladestorm + (a couple of Strike to build Focus) + Saber Throw

rinse and repeat but discard Force Leap...

That's what I'm doing right now.. of course if you already have 30 centering, be sure to activate ZEN! It is a must for Watchman builds!

Hope this helps somehow..

• 5 months later...
Another reason to use Blade Storm, is that while yes, it does cost more focus, the damage per time interval is greater than slash, so if you are topped off on focus with zealous strike off cool down, use Blade Storm followed by slash, then zealous.. ta-da, just efficiently used your focus pool, congrats.

Actually, blade storm does have utility as a watchman sentinel. It has a longer range compared to slash so when an enemy is trying to get away you can use it.. Not just that its also burn damage so bypasses certain things..

Blade Storm is not burn damage.

Another reason to use Blade Storm, is that while yes, it does cost more focus, the damage per time interval is greater than slash, so if you are topped off on focus with zealous strike off cool down, use Blade Storm followed by slash, then zealous.. ta-da, just efficiently used your focus pool, congrats.

You will yield more damage if you use 2 Slash versus 1 Blade Storm. Not worth 4 Focus imo.

Edited by Tarquino

You will yield more damage if you use 2 Slash versus 1 Blade Storm. Not worth 4 Focus imo.

slash may deal more damage over a longer timeperiod, but bladestorm deals yellow damage and has range. I have lost count on how many times I've used bladestorm to bring people to the point where I can use dispatch. 2x slash will not do that if they are running and you are out of melee range.