The Basics of PVP: A Video Series

Thenoobistcolony

The Basics of PVP

*This is a Merged Version from an Old Thread and will be Updated as I release Additional Videos*

*General Disclaimer*

Some of these videos contain language which may be deemed unsuitable for viewers under the age of 13. However, since the age requirement for visiting the forums is 13, this shouldn't be a problem.

*About*

The purpose of this video series is to help Educate people that are new to PVP, or to MMOs in general. These videos will begin with very basic concepts and gradually build into more "fleshed out" and developed strategies. Anyone wishing to contribute or build upon the ideas presented in this thread can contact me at the following email address: Thenoobistcolony@gmail.com

*The Basics of PVP: Videos*

The Basics of PVP #1: LoS (Line of Sight)

Link:

This video discusses the fundamental idea of "line of sight" and provides several examples. Line of sight is meant as a defensive tactic, and with some practice, will allow you to avoid/negate incoming damage/CC and allow for your healer to keep you topped off with ease.

The Basics of PVP #2: Backpedaling and Keyboard Turning

Link:

This video discusses movement in PVP and explains why Backpedaling and Keyboard turning are habits that you should avoid developing, or work at breaking. Remember, mobility and situational awareness play a large part in being effective at PVP.

*Other Videos of Interest*

How to Improve your Play in PVP and PVE with Keybinds

Link:

This video provides an explanation of how to manage your abilities through the use of keybinds rather than clicking. Afterall, clicking significantly reduces your reaction time.

Keybinding with the Razer Naga

Link:

This video provides an explanation of how to manage your abilities through the use of keybinds and the Razer Naga. The Razer Naga can be intimidating at first glance, and will take some time to get used to.

Edited by Thenoobistcolony

I posted this in the other thread on LOS video. But backpedalling has uses for pretty much all ranged classes situationally. Not so much for melee classes. Pretty sure all the ranged classes have damage abilitys they can use on the run (not to mention CC) in order to do that you need to maintain LOS. Using a strafe to back away like you did breaks LOS. You kind of already hinted at this though.

Example would be something I do on my Vanguard. Frequently I will run into Marauders who have burned their leap on someone and are now trying to chase me down. I will backpedal from them (using turns as needed to make sure I can keep moving). As your video demonstrates this effectively means they are closing the gap 1/4 speed (Backpedal is 3/4 of forward movement). I will do things like drop my sticky grenade on them while blasting away with my hammer strike or explosive rounds and wait for them to get between 10 and 15 meters before rooting. Thus allowing me time to increase the distance again while continuing to damage them. Usually have about 3 GCDs for them to close 15 to 20 meters while backpedaling.

Also a lot of this assumes more one on one scenarios things get trickier the more people that are close to assist either side.

I posted this in the other thread on LOS video. But backpedalling has uses for pretty much all ranged classes situationally. Not so much for melee classes. Pretty sure all the ranged classes have damage abilitys they can use on the run (not to mention CC) in order to do that you need to maintain LOS. Using a strafe to back away like you did breaks LOS. You kind of already hinted at this though.

Example would be something I do on my Vanguard. Frequently I will run into Marauders who have burned their leap on someone and are now trying to chase me down. I will backpedal from them (using turns as needed to make sure I can keep moving). As your video demonstrates this effectively means they are closing the gap 1/4 speed (Backpedal is 3/4 of forward movement). I will do things like drop my sticky grenade on them while blasting away with my hammer strike or explosive rounds and wait for them to get between 10 and 15 meters before rooting. Thus allowing me time to increase the distance again while continuing to damage them. Usually have about 3 GCDs for them to close 15 to 20 meters while backpedaling.

Also a lot of this assumes more one on one scenarios things get trickier the more people that are close to assist either side.

backpedaling is never a good option for a ranged class v melee. if youre moving backwards at 3/4 speed, they are going to easily keep pace with you to stay in range.

turn your character and strafe away. you can attack at practically 90 degree angles, no reason to be backpedaling ever.

i used to be a terrible about backpedaling, but i recently fixed it and notice a huge difference in my mobility

backpedaling is never a good option for a ranged class v melee. if youre moving backwards at 3/4 speed, they are going to easily keep pace with you to stay in range.

turn your character and strafe away. you can attack at practically 90 degree angles, no reason to be backpedaling ever.

i used to be a terrible about backpedaling, but i recently fixed it and notice a huge difference in my mobility

Which is the same response I posted in the last thread but some people don't seem to want to learn.

This. Playing a frost mage in WoW got me out of backpedaling early, and it made playing Powertech much, much easier. No melee can fight with me (Other than a lv48-49 marauder who knows how to play) in Warzones due to being able to constantly apply my slow/other spells while running at 100% movespeed.

Strafing allows you to cast any spells that you would be able to while back pedaling, so there is basically never a time you should backpedal, other than if you just need a very minor positioning change.

So I watched the backpedaling video, and I have some criticism

1) Stop the swearing, it's really unnecessary in educational videos.

2) No need to keep rehashing points, it doesn't take 5 minutes to show that strafing/forward running is faster than backpedaling

3) It would be nice to show people that you can cast instant cast spells while strafing. Not sure how many of these Sage has other than that rock/spaceship part thingy, but for Powertech basically all of our spells have no cast time.

4) I suggest finding a fairly flat area with pillars and such to film this videos at, kinda like the PvP arena in WoW with the two pillars. Running up and down stairs in fleet is somewhat distracting IMO.

Other than that, I think the videos are good, but you have ample room to improve.

EDIT: Thank you for putting in that bit about unbinding A, S, and D. Those keys are very important for keybinding your spells, and they have no function outside of being a crutch for new MMO players anyway.

Edited by Soulsilence

So I watched the backpedaling video, and I have some criticism

1) Stop the swearing, it's really unnecessary in educational videos.

2) No need to keep rehashing points, it doesn't take 5 minutes to show that strafing/forward running is faster than backpedaling

3) It would be nice to show people that you can cast instant cast spells while strafing. Not sure how many of these Sage has other than that rock/spaceship part thingy, but for Powertech basically all of our spells have no cast time.

4) I suggest finding a fairly flat area with pillars and such to film this videos at, kinda like the PvP arena in WoW with the two pillars. Running up and down stairs in fleet is somewhat distracting IMO.

Other than that, I think the videos are good, but you have ample room to improve.

EDIT: Thank you for putting in that bit about unbinding A, S, and D. Those keys are very important for keybinding your spells, and they have no function outside of being a crutch for new MMO players anyway.

1) Swearing is a bad habit I've developed over the years. Being that I record these videos on the fly, it is rather hard to keep the swearing out completely. Though I'll work on this in the future.

2) Point taken

3) I'll be posting a more in depth video (how to kite properly) which will touch on this sort of thing.

4) I was exhausted and made haste with whatever was closest. Anything would have made a better example.

Thanks for the feedback overall

This. Playing a frost mage in WoW got me out of backpedaling early, and it made playing Powertech much, much easier. No melee can fight with me (Other than a lv48-49 marauder who knows how to play) in Warzones due to being able to constantly apply my slow/other spells while running at 100% movespeed.

Strafing allows you to cast any spells that you would be able to while back pedaling, so there is basically never a time you should backpedal, other than if you just need a very minor positioning change.

agreed

I honestly don't keybind anything but movement to A, S , D. I merely place strafe left and right on A and D. In my experience, Keybinding abilities to these keys through the use of modifiers only increases the chances of making an error.

• 2 weeks later...