Better for swtor dual-core 3.2 or quad-core 2.4 ?

nkitch

Hi,

I have an aging system with an intel e5800 3.2 dual-core processor I have the option to upgrade this to a q6600 2.4 quad-core.

My questions is ...

Although the game runs fine with my HD6850 ilum is just a joke, will swtor use the quad-core's and improve things ?

Thanks

Edited by nkitch

Hi,

I have an aging system with an intel e5800 3.2 dual-core processor I have the option to upgrade this to a q6600 2.4 quad-core.

My questions is ...

Although the game runs fine with my HD6850 ilum is just a joke, will swtor use the quad-core's and improve things ?

Thanks

I think that clock-speed is on the lower end of what you'll want to have, but there are two pieces of good news: SWTOR uses multiple cores very effectively, if reports from the playerbase are to be believed... and, the Q6600 (Core2Quad IIRC) tends to be very cooperative in overclocking situations. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't hit 2.8GHz at least with middling hardware and air cooling. Many people pushed them much further.

I think I got mine to 3.0GHz relatively stable but it failed Prime95 tests. That was with a crappy fan and cramped case though.

I run quad core 2.7 with nvidia 560 ti and 8 gigs of ddr ram.

I lag like hell in warzones with those specs.

If your lagging real bad in warzones with this set-up.....you have issues else where. I've got a friend with pretty much the exact same set-up, with an amd phenom 2 quad, and he runs wz's perfectly. Download a temp monitoring tool, or reformat your hdd. There's no reason for lag on that system, unless you have crappy internet.

I just got new parts for my pc that died. Here are specs:

OLD

Intel q6400 *oced to 6800*

4gb Ram

Sata 3 pos hdd

285 gtxclassified edition

NEW

Intel i7 2600k. *stock speed for now*

16gb ram

Sata 6 ssd 120gb

285 gtx classified

I literally went from low settings and my pc chugging everywhere to 60fps in fleet with no shadows on *psh...shadows*

Ilum still runs like crap. I have friends that have same setup as me with the new 7950 card and they still have to turn down graphics in ilum.

If I were you, I would spend the extra penny and ditch the Q series procs for at least an I series

for a smooth play u need good video card. like i have 5gb video card

Nviia geforce 460gtx

This^

Thats pretty overkill for a video card but yea the bigger upgrade would be to get at least 1gig of gddr5 ram on a videocard. Id suggest looking for a card with an HDMI or HDMI mini output as it seems the monitor market is heading that direction.

The cards come with both DVI which can be converted with an included adapter to VGA as well so dont think im telling you to go buy a new monitor right now, eventually thats how they will all be.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=41125&Sku=E145-0550

as an example