Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Redeeming the Consular final boss [spoilers, of course]

Harukaze

Tried everything i could think of, different reply options, bringing Tharan, etc. Only difference seems to be few comments from Tharan at end, rock still wins. Oh well, likely something that those of us getting this would have had to choose earlier. Bit annoying to "fail" on last quest but no biggie I guess, already moved on.

Edit: And, what do you know - I also got the letter from Syo soon after, thanking for saving him, even though I watched the rock smash him. I don't usually mind bugs but having one in the "grand finale" two months after launch does suck a little :mad:

Edited by Freor

I personally never saw the cutscene of Syo's family. I finished the game, redeemed Syo, and never got the falling rocks animation. I am a healing sage who is Light V and I used Nadia as my companion for the fight and for the conversation. Where was this secret cutscene? I wanna get it when I go there again on my shadow!

I saw rock smash him and got mail from him later. I thought the rock death was like a saturday morning cartoon show, he got crushed by rocks but i never saw his dead body so he might not be dead. when i got the mail i assumed the force kept him alive or some other kind of saturday morning cartoon logic.

I personally never saw the cutscene of Syo's family. I finished the game, redeemed Syo, and never got the falling rocks animation. I am a healing sage who is Light V and I used Nadia as my companion for the fight and for the conversation. Where was this secret cutscene? I wanna get it when I go there again on my shadow!

To my knowledge the secret cutscene happens a couple missions before the end. On Corellia, but I don't remember which one it's supposed to be. You're supposed to go after a chick in one of the Guardian Holds, and there's a room off to the side that you don't have to go in for the mission. It's just there, seemingly pointless. Apparently if you're curious enough to check it out *before* going after the boss [not after, like we did, since nothing happened there for us; that annoyed me, since I tend to like to go for objectives, then explore afterward], you'll see something relating to Syo's family. No idea what, yet; my Shadow is on Voss still, but I'll update as he gets to Corellia and tries this out.

Chances are, he probably won't show up in your story again anyways. When redeemed he:

Goes into isolation, and says that the letter he sends you will be the last time you ever hear from him.

So I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I thought it was kinda lame that Syo was the first son. The first guy we met in the entire game? Really?

Be that as it may, to those of us for whom story matters, it's a very disappointing, sour end to fail our final mission. And yes, I see failing to redeem Syo as failing in our final mission. I want my Shadow to be able to redeem him when I get there, so at least my fiancée and I can watch the way it was supposed to have gone.

Tell me, has anybody redeemed him *recently*?

"He begins, but he does not end."

:D

Tried everything i could think of, different reply options, bringing Tharan, etc. Only difference seems to be few comments from Tharan at end, rock still wins. Oh well, likely something that those of us getting this would have had to choose earlier. Bit annoying to "fail" on last quest but no biggie I guess, already moved on.

Edit: And, what do you know - I also got the letter from Syo soon after, thanking for saving him, even though I watched the rock smash him. I don't usually mind bugs but having one in the "grand finale" two months after launch does suck a little :mad:

So the conversation was bugged? But he actually still lived? Lol. I'm sorry for that ****** bug, but it's good to know that the game recognizes you actually did save him. At least you got the satisfaction of killing him without killing him?

I didn't have the cutscene and redeemed him too because I hated Corellia and just went there to finish my class quest.

Be that as it may, to those of us for whom story matters, it's a very disappointing, sour end to fail our final mission. And yes, I see failing to redeem Syo as failing in our final mission. I want my Shadow to be able to redeem him when I get there, so at least my fiancée and I can watch the way it was supposed to have gone.

Tell me, has anybody redeemed him *recently*?

I just redeemed him this past Sunday night. (lol, sounds funny...)

Edited by Xelestial_Dragon

So the conversation was bugged? But he actually still lived? Lol. I'm sorry for that ****** bug, but it's good to know that the game recognizes you actually did save him. At least you got the satisfaction of killing him without killing him?

Either the convo, or the cutscene that followed my choices. What happened, is i got the same "Syo tries to free himself from emperors control" moment as seen on some youtube vids, but instead of standing up and winning, he said something like "He's too strong" and attacked me. Which resulted in my sage pushing him away (in cutscene) and then the rock falling on him. Think that's the same what happened with the OP of this thread.

It's no biggie if he doesnt play any role in the story later, but if he does, it kinda ruins my frapsed story lol :(

I did the cutscene, was light 4 when I faced Syo, and used Theran. I redeemed him and did not get the rock falling scene. I shielded everyone throughout the storyline and didn't have a single dark side point (though apparently that doesn't matter).

Theran seems especially close to Syo, but from reading the posts of some others here who didn't use Theran, that also doesn't seem to matter. I was 46 when I faced him and ding'ed 47 off completing that mission.

I'm not certain what I did (or others did) that allowed us to redeem him and you not. Sorry.

Edited by Pedra

9400 lightside / 600 darkside; Sage healer speced; used Qyzen Fess

after the fight the responses i used were (both were the first of the three choices);

1) to save Master Syo

then;

2) tell Syo to fight the effects of the 1st Son (or something to that matter)

and he survived ...

Edited by Tharag

Has anyone managed to redeem him without getting that extra cutscene earlier? Just beat him with Nadia but despite trying the "helping Syo" route the rock fell on him. Light V, saved all the other masters in Act1 as well.

Yes. Level 50 Sage, and the first I heard of the Corellia cut scene was on this thread. Had redeemed all the previous Masters, and was Light Side 5 at the time. I was using Theran for the fight.

I tried to redeem him as well but saw him crushed by rocks and assumed he died. Got the letter later talking about him being alone somewhere containing the First Son.

I thought it might have been a bug because it was a bit of a "***?" moment when I got the letter after thinking he was dead.

Well, that's enough confirmation that it *isn't* the Corellia cutscene. I admit, I was skeptical when it was only one person who said they redeemed him without the cutscene.

Considering that many of us *did* use the correct dialog options, and some of us are redeeming him while others not, it almost sounds random. Which is about the most frustrating possibility imaginable.

Well, I literally just finished it and redeemed him.

I did not find the extra background cutscene and it wasn't a dialogue option. My companion was LT Iresso, I'm level 50 and Light Side V.

I also saved all the masters previously and encouraged Syo to fight it every time.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just finished the consular storyline, and decided to youtube alternate endings, to discover i got the bad ending, because the council denied me membership, but instead wanted me fighting as an adviser.

I asked Syo to fight it, instead he tried to attack me with his saber, i force threw him into the wall and he died from a falling rock,

it was because he died, i wasn't allowed jedi council membership :/

i've scoured all the posts on the forums, and noone knows for sure what events that lead to saving syo?

I don't personally recall ever reading a definitive answer. I redeemed him. My theory is that it is completely tied to the dialogue choices you make the few times you must confront him before the final battle as this is a Bioware game after all. I always chose the answers that reminded him of the friends/loved ones he was hurting and I never went "full righteous Jedi" with him like quoting the code to him etc. Though I can't prove this was the critical factor I am nevertheless convinced that it was.

Given that in this thread alone people who claimed to have redeemed him have used Theran, Nadia, Qyzen, and Iresso, it seems unlikely that the choice of companion would be the key factor. (I used Theran btw.). I'm not saying it might not play a role but it seems it is not the primary factor. Also the light side/dark side thing seems irrelevant as well. I'm still convinced it hinges on dialogue choices - remember you talk with him a few times before that final dungeon.

If you're reading this and haven't noticed all the spoilers... this will spoil it.

I chose the middle answer choice (basically the, "accept it you've lost" choice) thinking that the First Son would 'die' leaving some remnance of Master Syo behind (for a "Farewell you were a great teacher" speech), but the First Son said something along the lines of, "my children will rise up and defeat you all" then... he just died! Nothing else happened with Syo (no leaving words or gesture or blue glowy), Theran came up and said something and I calmed him down a little, then we were forced to leave the area (walking out that is). I was left with the most anticlimatic feeling ever, and it really ruined 'the ending' of the game for me. I would say NEVER choose the middle choice and try and save him if you can. I wondered through the rest of the game with the lame parade/press conference and recieved the title (tool of the rift or whatever joke of a ending title it is). Somehow I did get the letter from Syo, which really confused me, but hey, at least i know he's alive and there's some closure...I guess. But in general, Bad form Bioware.

I redeemed Syo. I had Nadia with me. Every time I talked to Syo after finding out that he's the First Son I chose the dialogue options that tried to reach Syo and ignored the First Son as much as possible.

I don't think it's enough to try to reach Syo at the last confrontation or even a few conversations ahead of that. Unless you're trying to break the emperor's hold on him right from the start, I think you won't be able to redeem him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.