The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield chance and Absorption balance

ADD_McGee

So I'm a ways into 50 on my shield spec van, been doing plenty of HMs, but now I'm considering starting an op career.

Right now, I'm at 14.09% defence chance, 46.93% shield chance, and 37.03% absorption, with 17736 health. I get the feeling I should beef up my absorption, but I wanted to ask around first. The other forum posts are pretty vague theorycraft, hopefully I can get a straight answer here. Any input?

I find that my 40% absorb and 40% shield rating and something like 13% def makes me feel worthless/squishy

I'm not totally sure what Shield rating will proc on but according to what I have witnessed in pvp and beta, it's not proc'ing on anything but 'white' damage.

Too me it feels under-powered and pointless to have an entire tree built around shield rating/absorb when it only works on limited incoming damage.

Some day when I feel like wasting time, I will try gearing/modding a complete defense set to see what that is like.

Even taking my time doing that (my sub is up March 22nd) I am sure they still wont have worthwhile fixes/updates for Vangs.

Edited by Sunsoar

More absorption would probably be better than any other defensive stat from where you're at. Unfortunately, you don't have many options for pumping up absorption, since our Aim mods only give a little bit and so do the enhancements (the ones that actually carry it). If you use any crafted gear with augment slots, though, you might try to get +28 absorb augments for those slots.

I'm going to assume you're talking about endgame PvE.

You might want to check out this thread at sithwarrior. In the stats section it'll show you roughly the softcaps for different stats.

Bear in mind the softcaps in TOR are fluid - they're really the point at which other stats become more desirable, they don't actually become worthless.

As a VG you want to start by stacking defense, as we're way behind the other 2 tanking trees on dodge. Once your gear is decent, the consensus seems to be absorb > def > shield. But bear in mind the most important stat for YOU is probably the one farthest from its softcap. Also remember if you find yourself ammo starved, shield is your friend. Defense actually degrades your shield chance, as dodge is on the first roll, shield on the second.

Apparently at very high stat values (theoretical, not achievable) defense once again becomes the most desirable stat.

Clear as mud?

Or you could just cap/soft cap shield chance and absorb - defence you can get into the low to mid 20s. I'm still working on defense myself, but i'm getting there slowly.

This is just player crafted purple armor: Screenshot of Defenses

(self buffed standing at the GTN)

Which to work on first. I agree with what was said above. Myself i went for shield chance first and got it to over 56% before letting some of it go to boost other areas. Why shield chance? As few of our abilities are triggered the more the shield procs like stockstrike and our ammo return.

Edit: The above defenses do not include temp buffs, Just the buff from the biochem stim (43 defense). With Reactive shield active, I cap DR at 75%.

Edited by Ironcleaver

Or you could just cap/soft cap shield chance and absorb - defence you can get into the low to mid 20s. I'm still working on defense myself, but i'm getting there slowly.

This is just player crafted purple armor: Screenshot of Defenses

(self buffed standing at the GTN)

Which to work on first. I agree with what was said above. Myself i went for shield chance first and got it to over 56% before letting some of it go to boost other areas. Why shield chance? As few of our abilities are triggered the more the shield procs like stockstrike and our ammo return.

How about you show what earpiece, implants, relics they have.

How about you show what earpiece, implants, relics they have.

They have? I don't know what they have, I do know what I have though...

Their nothing special if that's what your wondering or implying. The implants are level 45, earpiece is 49 (but no aug) and the two relics.. one is the defensive matrix from the datacron shards and the other a 42 endurance trash relic.

Ear: Veracity Galactic Combat Module

Implant 1: Veracity Mind-Bending Responce Implant (aug)

Implant 2: Veracity Mind-Bending Responce Implant (aug)

Relic 1: Matrix Cube M7-Y3

Relic 2: Relic of Inspired Brilliance

As a VG you want to start by stacking defense, as we're way behind the other 2 tanking trees on dodge.

This is false. Keep shield and absorb as close as possible and aim for 50% chance for both. Your threat depends on shielding attacks for energy procs and resets of the stockstrike cooldown. Defense is a full mitigation stat and as a healer is a PAIN to heal. Spiky and unpredictable or low slow and steady.

Im sitting at full columni gear with the extra rakata pieces (belt,bracer,implants,earpiece)and Im sitting on what is given to me. im like 42% chance 40% absorb. 17% def chance, 50% damage reduction. Im spec'd into the same ol' build you always see on the websites with the exception of stockstrike instead of END. Without the END one, im still sitting well over 2000 END and 23000 HP. Never had a healer complain yet... Just compliment :D

I find that my 40% absorb and 40% shield rating and something like 13% def makes me feel worthless/squishy

I'm not totally sure what Shield rating will proc on but according to what I have witnessed in pvp and beta, it's not proc'ing on anything but 'white' damage.

Too me it feels under-powered and pointless to have an entire tree built around shield rating/absorb when it only works on limited incoming damage.

Shield only works on melee and ranged attacks, and unfortunately most of the big damage in PVP comes from tech and force attacks.

If you've ever played another Major MMO-title, you'd find some similarities with Vanguards and other shield-based tanks. Breaking it down into fantasy standards, Shield Chance is your chance to block an attack and absorption is how much damage a block mitigates.

As Shield Chance goes up, you'll begin blocking more and more of incoming hits, which translates into your incoming damage dropping. Mix in absorption and your incoming damage drops even further as less bleed comes through the blocks.

Defense is our Parry/Dodge chance, this is a chance to completely avoid the damage all together.

Now with that said, all of these stats do not affect Armor-ignoring damage types, and Force/Tech based abilities. Which means Tanking gear is worthless in PvP as most players are sporting these abilities.

PvE is another story, as most foes use basic attacks and weapon attacks, so these stats instantly become useful. So sporting these stats makes your ability to survive skyrockets.

Now speaking from general experience, blocking often and in great amounts often makes for a more level damage income (meaning healing you is easier). So Shield Chance, and Absorption % makes for a better result. A balance of Defense also helps out.

@ The OP. That's how it works, our end-game armor sucks. As a Vanguard we don't even need Accuracy, our abilities always are successful, and the ramp up of the stat itself is so poor as to be useless to anyone outside a talent increase. If you want the best armor period, you'll be farming for a bit to get that shield and absorb all over your gear.

Yeah .. it was said many times.

But can you DODGE tech/force attacks ?

To my knowledge, this was changed as none of my PvP-fanatic Friends use Defense rating anymore.

Edited by Myxam