The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[PvP] How bad an idea are these builds?

DrekorSilverfang

So I just started a PT and plan on going the DPS route(not a tank hybrid or anything). I noticed everyone pretty much recommending 31 Pyro but I wanted to toss these ideas out there to get feedback. I'm still leveling so can't really try everything out I want to

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZMsrrobckZfhMbdh.1

First is a hybrid Pyro/AP with Hydraulic Overrides... seems like for a short range class immunity to movement effects and run buff on such a short cooldown is a positive thing. Being able to Triple DoT then kite melee at 10m while pumping in 90% armor ignoring rail shots that auto crit also a good thing.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZMsrro0cZfhMbdG0M.1

Next one ditches the auto crit rails and HO(along with what seems like a useless flame barrage) with 30% harder crits and lower CD on vent heat.

I'll point out the MAIN reason I like the hybrid specs is hitman... super low CD interrupt is awesome in my books.

So ... how bad are these builds?

Both builds miss rain of fire which is on of the best traits a 9% flat out boost Railshot. Auto crit railshots are nothing special without that 30%+ crit bonus. 0 costing rocket punch? Too bad we don't use it that often compared to ST builds.

If you want DPS just stick to the standard 4/6/31 or more survivabiltiy the Iron fist build.

Both builds miss rain of fire which is on of the best traits a 9% flat out boost Railshot. Auto crit railshots are nothing special without that 30%+ crit bonus. 0 costing rocket punch? Too bad we don't use it that often compared to ST builds.

If you want DPS just stick to the standard 4/6/31 or more survivabiltiy the Iron fist build.

The second build can move serrated blades into rain of fire without much issue.

The auto crits are more filler as with getting HO and the rail CD resets in Pyro I'd be at 0/21/18 which only leaves 2 points to play with. I do think the 30% crit bonus is better than auto crits but is it better than HO in PvP? especially huttball?

My big problem I see with 31 pyro is thermal detonator seems *********** awful compared to hitman in pvp.

Hitman requires too many other skills to get and interrupting more isn't worth the loss from the DPS TD gives.

Ok sure hitman lets you interrupt healers more but you aren't making them any easier to kill since you lose TD which helps kill them.

You also have Carbonize and Electrodart and even Grapple as interrupts too.

6 sec CD on Quell would be nice but you have to sacrfice , crit, crit damage, DPS and under 2 min CD on shield.

It isn't that good for sure.

And HO means you give up even more. Resolve works well, you have the CC breaker. PTs are awful ball carriers without Jet charge so just pass it to the Inquistor.

Edited by The_Beastwood

Hitman requires too many other skills to get and interrupting more isn't worth the loss from the DPS TD gives.

Ok sure hitman lets you interrupt healers more but you aren't making them any easier to kill since you lose TD which helps kill them.

You also have Carbonize and Electrodart and even Grapple as interrupts too.

6 sec CD on Quell would be nice but you have to sacrfice , crit, crit damage, DPS and under 2 min CD on shield.

It isn't that good for sure.

And HO means you give up even more. Resolve works well, you have the CC breaker. PTs are awful ball carriers without Jet charge so just pass it to the Inquistor.

Fair enough, thanks for the insight :)

So I just started a PT and plan on going the DPS route(not a tank hybrid or anything). I noticed everyone pretty much recommending 31 Pyro but I wanted to toss these ideas out there to get feedback. I'm still leveling so can't really try everything out I want to

First is a hybrid Pyro/AP with Hydraulic Overrides... seems like for a short range class immunity to movement effects and run buff on such a short cooldown is a positive thing. Being able to Triple DoT then kite melee at 10m while pumping in 90% armor ignoring rail shots that auto crit also a good thing.

Next one ditches the auto crit rails and HO(along with what seems like a useless flame barrage) with 30% harder crits and lower CD on vent heat.

I'll point out the MAIN reason I like the hybrid specs is hitman... super low CD interrupt is awesome in my books.

I tried something very similar not so long ago, and I failed. As good as it sounds to have Pyro heat decrease and dmg and hydralic overrides, it definately lacks the bang you want. Initially I thought the ability to use retractable blade and explosive dart would compensate the lack of thermal detonator and the high-end talents, but it really doesn't. It simply takes too long to apply all of this before actually starting to do dmg. So I now use my normal 0-10-31 again, just like planed from the very beginning, and I'm quite happy again, lol.

Long terms short: 0-21-20 (0-22-19. or anything similar) looks like a good idea, and for raiding it might actually be (I don't raid). The heat-efficency is superior and over time a dot-build might do impressive things. In pvp it lacks purpose, easy as that.

1st spec is fine, that's the Run and Gun spec.

2nd spec has a lot of wasted points in the Adv Proto tree. You should stop at 12 pts if you want Hitman, and put the rest in Assault Spec, e.g. 0/12/29. Or some variant where you go 4/12/25.

The first build can work, wouldn't be my first choice, but I understand why you would take it, HO is decent enough in Huttball.

Second build eh, reduction to the interrupt is nice and I can understand if you want to drop some damage to pick it up, again wouldn't be my first choice but understandable, but drop retractable blade and the following points, consider picking rain of fire and rail loaders instead.

More than that though I suggest trying out a more fully developed pyro tree Or something like the Iron Fist if your looking for more utility.