Why The prequels were good/bad?

Kiyanta

I like this topic and was wanting to hear your opinions on it. I think they are ok but in comparison to the original trilogy they are not very good, I enjoyed them when I was a kid but kind of grew out of them. apart from some of the awful acting, and the fact that they used special effects to counter the poor story line. it did not have the feeling of star wars, just felt like high tech space wars that had the same lore as star wars.

edit: jar jar Binks

what are you opinions on it? (I have seen these post before and they can get aggressive so please respect each other)

Edited by Kiyanta

The Original Trilogy are traditional fantasy stories set in space with what were cutting edge graphics. They are entertaining, the characters are brilliant, the music is amazing and the mix of romance, terror and comic relief is great.

The new trilogy is filled with flaws.

Who is the protagonist in the phantom menace?

What harm is the blockade doing the people of Naboo?

Why is the trade federation going to war because some shady character in a hood told them too?

Why does the Republic have no military force to speak of?

All of the Star Was Movies are enjoyable, but the OT is better written and executed.

It is kinda sad that you have to delve into the EU to make more sense of what is happening in the Phantom Menace.

I like all the Star Wars movies, sure I like the OT better, but that is mostly cause of their feel, and how the actors themselves sold their roles. Most of the Prequels seemed to wooden for me in their acting.

Didn't help that Lucas directed all of them. Even ANH, when watched with a far more critical eye falls for some of the same issues that the prequels did, but the ingenuity of it, and the delivery of the roles saved it.

I reviewer said it best. "Watch it, love it... its Star Wars. The prequels could have been the greatest films ever, and they would have still not lived up to the Original Trilogy. We had been given hope in our childhoods, and there was no way another set of movies would return that sense of naivete and wide eyed innocence of that time of our lives."

I would respectfully disagree with the above poster. No, they are not good plots, as the second poster said. The editing, camera work, direction and general flow of them, as works of film, is also sadly lacking. not that the originals were some kind of artistic homage to the cinema, but in comparison to the prequels they are.

The second post summed it up when he said 'Who is the protagonist of the phantom menace?'

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan? Anakin?? Jar-Jar????

Hard to tell, especially as the characterisations of the roles were so poor. Now the original also gets blasted for having wooden chars, but as a little test, please do the following:

DESCRIBE the following Star Wars characters WITHOUT saying what they look like, are wearing, or what there proffesion/role in the movie was. Describe them as if to a person who has NEVER seen Star Wars.

do this for Han Solo, Leia, C-3PO, Qui-Gon, Padme, and Jar-Jar.

How many you got for Padme/Jar-Jar/Qui-Gon? well done. Bet you got a lot more for the original chars tho.

(Yes i stole this from redlettermedia - google it)

My biggest gripe tho, is modern day action scenes. They are so IN YOUR FACE WOW LOOKIT ALL THE DENSE LAYERS OF CGI IN THIS SHOT!! that my brain cannot process the entire frame, and just mentally turns off under assault from too many things at once. the result is that action scenes in the new film simply bore me. Yes it has occured to me this is a sign im getting old.

Now a lot of this is opinion, and opinions arent worth much, we all got them. Another opinion of mine is that Ep4 probably had EVEN WORSE dialogue then all the prequels put together, and lol Ewoks defeat the Empire in Jedi... The sad thing is, the prequels did not really fail for any reason other than when George did it in 1977, it was a revolution. In 1999 it was done to death, and the films needed to be really special to have any hope of being well recieved. THey were not. Although i still think Ep3 is better than Jedi.

The flaws of the prequel trilogy have been gone over again and again so I wont retread old ground.

The problem is that your average Joe can easily see these flaws and they're the sorts of things that should have been spotted, resolved and fixed before the movies ever hit the big screen. Especially since GL already new the problems with the first movie when he made the second and third (at least he listened about Jar Jar).

It was my hope prior to Episode I that he might have learned from the Ewok debacle.

and so the Prequels ended up as watchable but greatly flawed, thus merely average.

Which for a Star Wars movie, is terrible.