Which is the more viable champion gear to get for a fresh 50?

iamrhyolite

I am hitting 50 soon (a few bars more to go) and doing pvp at the moment to save up commendations for end-game gear.

My goal is not to be a battlemaster, but to actually have decent gear to do HMs and Ops with my buddies.

I started levelling as deception assassin, was alright. But when I got Talos I switched to darkness. Loved the zero downtime with trash mobs and zero problem against elites.

There are a couple of juggernauts among my friends and if they join the HM I am doing, I will dps. If none of them happen to be online, I will tank for my healer and dps buddies. Obviously the optimal solution is to have 2 sets of purple gear for both dps and tank but it is going to take a while. :rolleyes:

Respecing every week is not an issue for me. Did anyone tank in dps gear or dps in tank gear? How was your experience? Clearing 1 - 49 content without the most optimal gear is no issue, but I am not sure how things change in HMs and Ops.

I don't need to do OMGWTFBBQ dps but at least I need to be a non-liability for my group to beat the engage timer. Will appreciate any input regarding which is the first set of gear I should go for.

The force master set is not very good as madness as the alacrity is a wasted stat. We dont use anything with a cast time as madness everything is instant. The 2 peice is arguable but i wouldnt bother with it.

u get the 2 set and change out alacrity with other mods, obtained thru dailys or extra pvp gear. im infil but i got a remodded 2 set for when i mess around balance not sure if its that great but its most likly better then the 4 set from stalker which isnt that great for balance

i wouldn't tank in dps gear, nor would i dps in tank gear. if tanking, you're going to be missing the vital defense/shield/absorb stats that keep us alive. as a tankasin, you will have less armor than a jugg or powertech, even with dark charge active. and a lot of our mitigation comes from the defense stat.

while dps'ing, crit and power are very important to have to do decent dps. with the absence of these stats on the tank gear, it'll be super hard to pull decent dps (as far as i can tell, since there's no damage meters).

however...i have pvp'd with a tank/madness hybrid spec while using dps gear. i last a lot longer, and do decent dps. it does surprisingly well. but, it doesn't work for dps'ing in HM's and ops, as you need to have dark charge active, and you will pull super mad aggro that way. also doesn't work for tanking, as its not a pure tank build.

Edited by Soull