Rant - Crafting/$crew Skills

stormlordmichel

So,

Unlocked legacy, created a new character (Shadow), and chose Cybertech - Scavenging - Slicing. At 15th character level around 60 skill levels I realized I could not get Terenthium, so after some research, I removed Slicing (which I quite enjoyed) and added underworld trading. After spending hours getting underworld trading up to about 50, I now see issues with Agrinium. Research shows that I could have kept Slicing. IS THAT TRUE? Because, that really irritates me. The crafting system would be better served by turning it around. What do you want to craft. Okay here are the quests you need to complete in order to get the stuff you need. I mean really. If I am going to switch back to slicing I need to know that I can get the stuff I need to craft with. I mean since the galactic market (galactic being a joke), is not connected across worlds or servers. I did understand the crafting bonuses vs crew but chose based on the fact that the most replaceable item for me is the armor mods. Artifice was okay, but honestly, once in a while got a new crystal, and once I got to Tatooine I just bought stuff for the crystals and used those.

(sigh)

Am I just complaining, or is there a real issue with this. I enjoy the game primarily for PVE.

Thanks.

P.S.

Thanks for reading my rant. I feel much better now.

i dont know but to whine because you levelled your skill to 50-60 is hardly the end of the world..., it takes barely any time to get a skill to lvl 50. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and your codex recommend which crafts you should be taking with eachother :p

Slicing is a unique skill that doesn't benefit you in any way in terms of crafting. It allows you to make a little cash while you quest while leveling it essentially for free. The Augment aspect to it is very limited and you'll likely only be able to use it for personal benefits until you hit it hardcore at 400 to try for rares.

Cybertech only needs scavenging and underworld to craft anything, at least until you get to BoP schematics from HM FPs and Ops.

So,

Unlocked legacy, created a new character (Shadow), and chose Cybertech - Scavenging - Slicing. At 15th character level around 60 skill levels I realized I could not get Terenthium, so after some research, I removed Slicing (which I quite enjoyed) and added underworld trading. After spending hours getting underworld trading up to about 50, I now see issues with Agrinium. Research shows that I could have kept Slicing. IS THAT TRUE? Because, that really irritates me. The crafting system would be better served by turning it around. What do you want to craft. Okay here are the quests you need to complete in order to get the stuff you need. I mean really. If I am going to switch back to slicing I need to know that I can get the stuff I need to craft with. I mean since the galactic market (galactic being a joke), is not connected across worlds or servers. I did understand the crafting bonuses vs crew but chose based on the fact that the most replaceable item for me is the armor mods. Artifice was okay, but honestly, once in a while got a new crystal, and once I got to Tatooine I just bought stuff for the crystals and used those.

(sigh)

Am I just complaining, or is there a real issue with this. I enjoy the game primarily for PVE.

Thanks.

P.S.

Thanks for reading my rant. I feel much better now.

Unless you want to make Blue/Custom/Purple gear there is no need for the secondary Crew Skill for any Crafting Skill.

Underworld Trading, Investigation, Diplomacy, Treasure Hunting are all not required to craft, all they do is allow you to make the Blue/Custom/Purple items out of your own resources instead of going to the market.

Hell technically you don't even need the primary gathering Crew Skill for your Crafting Skill if you are willing to be a slave to the market or have another character with it.

For example my Artificer doesn't have Archeology at all, because I have a Synthweaver with it.

Slicing isn't like any of the other non-crafting skills, it will never provide a raw material for crafting. Therefore, it will never provide the rare crafting materials required for higher quality cybertech crafts, those all come from underworld trading.

What slicing does do, is provide a chance on crit of providing a schematic for cybertech, such as the speeders or spaceship upgrades, or (haven't seen anything but cybertech schematics myself, but supposedly can provide schematics for other crafting skills as well.

There is also a chance on a crit to receive a one-use mission for any of the other non-crafting skills, ex: scavenging or underworld trading, which generally provide the rarer crafting materials for that skill (you still need the required skill in scavenging, diplo, arch, etc to do the mission).

Personally, I haven't been too impressed with slicing after the nerf, and I've had it at 400 pretty much since official launch (I leveled that character during the early access week). It may just be my server or my luck, but I have 15 or so of the blue and purple cybertech mount schematics just piled up in my bank taking up space, it seems every time I get a crit, I get one of those, and they don't sell for crap.

Edited by Okolo

Storm, You can get the Unsderworld materials from Scavaging distroyed droids. I get lots of Terenthium and other underworld metals in flashpoint a lot. After you distroy a droid and you loot ot, Mouse over it again and you will see the <> markers and you can salvage it. I love killing the Yellow Droids for the metals.

OP:

No, it is not true. You do not get agrinium via slicing. You get it on a crit when you do an UT metal grade 1 mission.

That being said, purple mission discoveries which you can find with slicing will unlock a 1 use mission for the relevant mission skill that pretty much guarantees finding the relevant purple mat. However you still need the relevant mission skill in order to run the mission.

So it doesn't hurt to have an alt that knows slicing, or be willing to buy the discoveries off the GTN.