Abilities you do NOT use in pvp

Buckit

I've been looking at my quick slots and noticed that there are some abilities that I either never use, shouldn't use, or can't use in PVP.

Explosive Round: I use this in PVP while on the run but I'm starting to think it isn't worth the ammo cost. Would really like to hear how others use this in PVP, if at all.

Full Auto: This bugged ability was recently fixed I heard. I've never tried using it in PVP because of the bug and thus know nothing about it. Is it worth using? Why?

Sticky Grenade: Only time I use this is when I'm moving. Seems pretty weak sauce. Am I missing something?

Blitz: I believe this ability does not work in PVP?? I've never seen it available for use.

I use Full Auto when I'm by myself, I have Curtain of Fire procced, and it I won't be immediately LoSed. I find it fairly useful.

I use Sticky Grenade mostly to troll caps after death. A Sticky Grenade as your last move on a door or node buys you an addition 2-3 seconds to stop cap.

I haven't had Explosive Round on my bar in forever, it just costs too much.

I've been looking at my quick slots and noticed that there are some abilities that I either never use, shouldn't use, or can't use in PVP.

Explosive Round: I use this in PVP while on the run but I'm starting to think it isn't worth the ammo cost. Would really like to hear how others use this in PVP, if at all.

Full Auto: This bugged ability was recently fixed I heard. I've never tried using it in PVP because of the bug and thus know nothing about it. Is it worth using? Why?

Sticky Grenade: Only time I use this is when I'm moving. Seems pretty weak sauce. Am I missing something?

Blitz: I believe this ability does not work in PVP?? I've never seen it available for use.

You are right on your use of explosive round, basically if you can use something else to get the job done, do it, appropriate uses would be quick and dirty AOE to stop a cap, or decent burst while on the move and HIB is not procced.

Full auto, is not bad if talented for CoF and you can get the full cast time off, it is decent burst.

Sticky grenade is pretty useful for the delayed burst. If you can time it properly you can get it to go off around the same time as a HiB or a grav round. As you know PvP is all about quick burst so if you can get it to go off around the same time as something else it is useful anything to take the healers by surprise and give you a big health deficit to work with.

Purely from a PvP perspective:

Explosive Round is nice when you're moving. An example would be when you blow the doors in Voidstar and are moving to the next objective. You can't stop to use Grav Round, so Exp Round can be useful. The damage on it actually isn't that bad, it's just very ammo intensive.

Full Auto is an amazing ability if you are Gunnery spec and proc Curtain of Fire. Each tic can crit for around 1500. Exceptional damage and its' channeling time negates most of the ammo used for it.

Sticky Grenade is good in a number of situations. One, it's extra burst, and delayed at that. If you can time it to go off at the right time you can turn a 2.5k grav round hit int a 4k hit. This is especially helpful against sorcs and marauders, who'll bubble/shield ward when they're low on life. That extra little bit of damage can be the difference between them dieing or being around for a while longer. Sticky Grenade is also very useful against stealthers. Throw it on an Assassin or Operative as they get low on life and it has a chance to pop them out of their emergency stealth (assuming they don't have talent points in it). But that's also why you should have Stealth Scan handy.

The only abilities that I don't really use are Charged Bolts and the PBAoE lightning attack (forget name).

Edited by Cruxe

Im glad someone started this thread, as I see it can be helpful to us troops. I agree with the Exp Round. It costs too much and rarely use it. I have used blitz before, but not in PVP. I am curious to hear rotations used in pvp... mine usually goes: Grav x 3, demo, HIB, Full Auto, rinse and repeat...

Im glad someone started this thread, as I see it can be helpful to us troops. I agree with the Exp Round. It costs too much and rarely use it. I have used blitz before, but not in PVP. I am curious to hear rotations used in pvp... mine usually goes: Grav x 3, demo, HIB, Full Auto, rinse and repeat...

rotations more or less are always situation dependent

but i would't use demo -> hib

the combination of

gr -> demo -> gr -> hib

does way more pressure and burst in pvp.

But again situation dependent since u can just do it if they aren't running away or trying to LOS, then u might not get it intime

Edited by Sorotas

rotations more or less are always situation dependent

but i would't use demo -> hib

the combination of

gr -> demo -> gr -> hib

does way more pressure and burst in pvp.

But again situation dependent since u can just do it if they aren't running away or trying to LOS, then u might not get it intime

Situation dictates action, a very true statement.

My favorite thing to do if I have the time is Gravx2->Demo->Sticky->Grav->HiB

Shifting the third grav between Demo and HiB gives you more mobility, and the sticky just adds insult to injury sometimes. Also it helps you try to avoid being LOS'd, but that is not always possible.

As said, on the move. It does fairly good damage, just is a bit ammo intensive. I mainly use it to finish off runners or if i otherwise absolutely must do some immediate damage on the move.

Full Auto does fantastic damage as Gunnery. But even specced otherwise it has some solid ranged damage, just don't use it when you're being focused.

Sticky Grenade offers great "delayed burst" that you can chain together with other abilities (Like HIB or GR) to deal some major burst damage.

It does not. Every class has a PvE-only ability. It's there to help tank-classes or other low-damage specs in clearing PvE. It's fairly useless for the Commando, but on my Vanguard i use it in solo-PvE often.

Charged bolts(I'm Gunnery). If I'm interpreted I usually have a melee on me and want to kite anyways, so why would I use a stationary skill when it is better to use stock strike/concussive round/lightning or HIB/Demo round on the move OR my favorite techoveride/reserve round and throw a plasma grenade, also on themove?

I use hammer shot when I'm close to being out of ammo or on voidstar/civil to stop people from capping.

Ditto.

I think a lot of you are overlooking one important use for Full Auto.

In PVP it is your most consistently available slow. the only other slow we have is on a concussion charge. (assuming you spent the 2 points to get the 100% chance of slow)

Which most people respec'd out of or never took in the first place due to the delay problem. :(

I'm currently Assault specced so my list will be slightly different, but...

Explosive Shot is great if multiple people are actively trying to cap a turret/door or other channeled objective. Otherwise, that's 4 ammo that could've been spent rendering someone useless as a capper for up to the next 18 sec.

Obviously I don't use Sticky Grenade.

I don't get a LOT of use out of Pulse Cannon. I suppose if I had a couple of near dead saber-jockies beating on me & conc. Charge on CD, but even then, meh.

As much as I set people on fire, I feel like I should use Hail of Bolts more often than I do. As it is, I hardly ever use it.

I think I can find at least situational uses for just about everything else though. Oh, except the threat dump. :rod_wink_g:

Please explain?

If you spec 2/2 into Cover Fire (2nd tier from top) your Full Auto has a 100% chance to apply a 2 sec movement penalty to the target, giving you a reliable slow at least every 15 sec, depending on frequency of CoF procs.

Edited by Tren

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.