The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield in PvP pre-50 for PTechs

Poe_

Worth it at all?

I understand that shielding isn't great in pvp because other classes skills can wipe your shield chance virtually off the roll table, but since I'm a PvE'er, leveling at l 21, enjoying warzones too, might it not still be worth shielding with IGC, shield offhand, and 1/2 Shield Venting?

If I'm fighting 20s, 30s and some 40s maybe the odds are better is all I'm thinking, that I can shield some non-tech/non-force damage. I know the 40s are primarily using those skills, I wonder are the 20s and 30s?

If so, then I understand completely why shielding isn't so great, and will run with my dps offhand. Just curious if anyone has an idea ... I have no hard stats and don't need 'em, just general consensus. Thanks!

Worth it at all?

I understand that shielding isn't great in pvp because other classes skills can wipe your shield chance virtually off the roll table, but since I'm a PvE'er, leveling at l 21, enjoying warzones too, might it not still be worth shielding with IGC, shield offhand, and 1/2 Shield Venting?

If I'm fighting 20s, 30s and some 40s maybe the odds are better is all I'm thinking, that I can shield some non-tech/non-force damage. I know the 40s are primarily using those skills, I wonder are the 20s and 30s?

If so, then I understand completely why shielding isn't so great, and will run with my dps offhand. Just curious if anyone has an idea ... I have no hard stats and don't need 'em, just general consensus. Thanks!

its class types that use those damage types as far as I understand so some classes will just ignore most of your mitigation wile others will actually ahve a hard time killing a tank (crazy huh).

however its not the end of the world so I'd suggest speccing whatever makes your pve life easier. Personally Im standard shield tech build and I have a blast in pvp at lvl 42.

Great reply thanks. I am mainly wondering though, about the offhand. Go with Shield or don't bother, pre-50? Still your reply was a good one, I am speccing for PvE. Thanks.

I went with the shield and as long as you are using Ion gas i'd recommend it. If you get some epic generator feel free to try otherwise but from what I see the stats arent usually THAT much better.

Someone feel free to correct me.

Shield is more or less useless at 50s warzones. All classes got their final attacks and many use force/tech attacks which are not shieldable. Critical hits are not shieldable, too. Thats why defensive is more worth in PvP than in PvE.

At 1-49 bracket maybe not so bad because of all those "lowbies" who cant use many attacks beside their basics. For example a lowlvl shadow uses mostly weapondmg which is shieldable.

I am not sure but guess warrior is the same situation. Gunslinger, too.

I would say if u want to play a defensive PT (Tank) in PvE/PvP go for shield/absorb but drop it at the latest with lvl50 :)

Wow so its good til 50 when everyone gets a single attack that makes it useless? LOL people need to learn some new words on these forums.

fwiw I love my shield and wear it in pvp all the time. I've gone 3 v 1 at 50 (after the bomb blew the door so we were uninterrupted) and killed them all with my durability. I will almost always kill my target before I get worn down, even with multiple 50s on me. I can't remember the last time I couldnt either win or escape in a 1v1. and if there's a healer on my team, chances are I'll see the most kills in the match although I obviously wont have the most dbs. And unless I enter late, I'm generally gonna be top 3 medal earners every match.

Edited by Prolyfic

Wow so its good til 50 when everyone gets a single attack that makes it useless? LOL people need to learn some new words on these forums.

fwiw I love my shield and wear it in pvp all the time. I've gone 3 v 1 at 50 (after the bomb blew the door so we were uninterrupted) and killed them all with my durability. I will almost always kill my target before I get worn down, even with multiple 50s on me. I can't remember the last time I couldnt either win or escape in a 1v1. and if there's a healer on my team, chances are I'll see the most kills in the match although I obviously wont have the most dbs. And unless I enter late, I'm generally gonna be top 3 medal earners every match.

Great post. At fresh level 50 in modded PVE gear I have been in the top three of medals earned every match. Additionally I remain a hard nut to crack in a 1v3. I shudder to think what things will be like with PVP gear on.

Interesting discourse to my opening post, and thank you guys.

It does create some questions though. It's a focus group of five, or so, so it's not conclusive. Wish there was some way to figure it out. Pre-50 my theory seems valid, in that Force and Tech attacks come rarely from high 40s, so shielding with IGC is well worth it in a ST build.

My tank is 37 now. I pvp a lot and I have the basic PvE tank build. I have a blast with the shield in my off hand. I do not out DPS anyone but that would not change simply by using a different off hand item. I am hard to kill though. I know it frustrates people when I just wear them down. I laugh after one long fight and then they avoid me the rest of the game.

I know this is turning into a PvP thread but I'm finding it very valuable, so one more question to the thread-dience ...

I am a big fan of guarding. Anyone have an idea of how guarding a high level works for a lowbie? So if I'm 20 and guard a high-level 45 sorc, will I take 50% of their mitigated damage or 50% of the equalized damage?

I guess what I'm really wondering is if guarding high levels makes more sense than low levels because they will have more of a chance via skills and build to mitigate damage.

My theory is yes, guarding high levels makes MUCH more sense than lowbies because of this. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Im lvl 45 iron fist build and LOVE the hybridness of the spec i can do.. mehh damage but its enough to make them think twice with the sheer amout of time it takes to burn me down, 1v1 8/10 i win. In PvE its amazing as well. :)

In response to your guarding question, the abilities of higher level characters VS lowbies and mitigating damage yes i can see how that thinking could work, but with all the characters bolstered to 49 pre-50 anyways i dont think it makes a whole lot of difference i always just make sure im guarding that guy that is getting double teamed or more while throwing taunts or guarding the ball carrier also. I love the shieldtech tree and the jet charge so much and have accepted that yes... i wont do big numbers but im not there for the numbers.. im there to pi*s people off, soak up damage, keep others alive, and chew bubble gum... and im all outa bubble gum :p

as a side note even tho im not doing big damage i almost always break the 100K damage mark so its not like we are useless in that department.