How to increase companion healing?

TeddyBearSniper

It all depends on the companion-- in this game primary stats are more class based then mechanic based, so for a commando for example AIM will both be utilized by the dps commando and the healing commando.

So with regards to companions you look to basically what class they statistically copy (sometimes there's some primary weapon/offhand variance from the norm for a little variety). For the commando companions for example, Elara Dorn is geared similar to a bounty hunter (heavy armor + pistol) which is the mirror class of the trooper.

Because of this she uses AIM as her primary stat as well, likewise so did Aric Jorgen, an interesting design as its the first class I've played where at present all three (myself + two companions) all utilized the same itemization.

If its the lack of healing punch that is causing you problems, bear in mind they will never measure up to a good 'human' healer, and you may also see less oomph out of her because you attain her as a companion earlier then several of the other classes I've played (my sorc. didn't have his healer until early 40's for example) which means her toolbox isn't as varied yet and you don't yet have access to bedecking her out in gear.

All that said the three stats you mention will raise it in their own way as they impact all classes the way these work are:

Power-- A blanket boost to a damage/healing, the reason AIM is preferable when you can is because it does more for you (increasing crit as well)

Crit-- This obviously is nice because it impacts how often something critically hits, the benefits (between 1.5 and 2 times as strong a hit/heal) are obvious but if you stack crit at the exclusion of everything else you can have those little bad streak where you are counting on a crit and half a dozen times in a row it just doesn't come.

Surge-- Impacts the bonus given to a crit. The base multiplier is 50% or basically 1.5 itmes the normal (so a 500 hp heal would be 750). A good amount of surge takes you up into the 80%'s (so that 500 heal crits for 900 at 80%). This is extremely handy when you crit, but again temper it with the fact that when you don't crit it's going to be doing nothing at all for you.

Generally for a companion I lean towards raising basic stats (AIM, Power, then whatever crit surge happens to be available for the ride) whereas the stat balance gets a good bit more class/spec/role specific when it comes to your own character.

Edited by paul_preib

I'm focusing on aim and crit rating. It seems to be doing the trick since her bonus healing is going up. No other way apparently to measure her healing capabilities but to look at bonus healing.

One more thing to look at 'tech power' on the weapon. This will impact healing and though it doesn't overtly mention it on mods-- will be affected by upgrading the barrel you put in her blaster.

It is easy to think "healer so weapon won't be a major deal since she isn't doing damage" but even as a stat-only device keeping that barrel (or a comparable blue unmodded weapon) up to date can have a big impact as well.

One more thing to look at 'tech power' on the weapon. This will impact healing and though it doesn't overtly mention it on mods-- will be affected by upgrading the barrel you put in her blaster.

It is easy to think "healer so weapon won't be a major deal since she isn't doing damage" but even as a stat-only device keeping that barrel (or a comparable blue unmodded weapon) up to date can have a big impact as well.

Which barrel give the most tech power? Commando barrel has lower aim, but higher dmg/power. With reflex, the opposite is true.

The stats on the barrel don't matter, the rating of the barrel does.

If you mouse over the barrel itself, it will say "Weapon Damage/Power rating 98" or whatever the rating of that particular barrel is. This number determines both the damage variance of the gun once it's equipped into it, as well as the Tech Power the gun will have.

Obviously higher is better and, confusingly, the rating number attached to the barrel has no direct connection to the exact numerical amounts of damage and tech the gun provides once it's installed, nor is it tied to the number name of the barrel - in other words, a purple Reflex Barrel 15 will have a higher D/P rating than a green Reflex Barrel 17.

As a DPS Commando I favor Reflex barrels over Commando barrels, simply because I value Aim more than Endurance. However, a Purple Reflex Barrel 25 will provide the exact same damage and tech to a weapon as a purple Commando Barrel 25, even though the Aim and End values are different, because the rating on the barrels is the same.

Hopefully that made things less confusing, rather than more confusing.

The stats on the barrel don't matter, the rating of the barrel does.

If you mouse over the barrel itself, it will say "Weapon Damage/Power rating 98" or whatever the rating of that particular barrel is. This number determines both the damage variance of the gun once it's equipped into it, as well as the Tech Power the gun will have.

Obviously higher is better and, confusingly, the rating number attached to the barrel has no direct connection to the exact numerical amounts of damage and tech the gun provides once it's installed, nor is it tied to the number name of the barrel - in other words, a purple Reflex Barrel 15 will have a higher D/P rating than a green Reflex Barrel 17.

As a DPS Commando I favor Reflex barrels over Commando barrels, simply because I value Aim more than Endurance. However, a Purple Reflex Barrel 25 will provide the exact same damage and tech to a weapon as a purple Commando Barrel 25, even though the Aim and End values are different, because the rating on the barrels is the same.

Hopefully that made things less confusing, rather than more confusing.

Thanks. I always pay attention to the AIM value, which why I went for reflex, eventhough reflex has a rating of 50 compared to commando's rating of 54. I guess I picked wrong.

Thanks. I always pay attention to the AIM value, which why I went for reflex, eventhough reflex has a rating of 50 compared to commando's rating of 54. I guess I picked wrong.

That's because commendation vendors only sell the lower grade Reflex barrels, while the Commando ones are available in a couple of higher ranks.

Your choice was technically correct. Since the commendation vendors only have the better tank barrels, it's a good idea to buy yourself and Aric/Elara crafted Reflex barrels.

That's because commendation vendors only sell the lower grade Reflex barrels, while the Commando ones are available in a couple of higher ranks.

Your choice was technically correct. Since the commendation vendors only have the better tank barrels, it's a good idea to buy yourself and Aric/Elara crafted Reflex barrels.

Ya, it seems reflex of equal rating will always be better. I guess I could also try to make my own mods? I picked biochem over cybertech, so maybe I should change.

• 2 weeks later...
My main companion is my healer, Talos Drelik, and now that im gearing him up in Rakata my question is what are the overall best stats for a healer companion?? I know alacrity is not as useful for companions because my healer only has one small heal with a cast time, so should i replace it with accuracy. It would mean getting Field Tech gear instead of Field Medic gear, its not like the set bonus matters. Also would giving your companion gear with presence do anything?

Accuracy is utterly useless (except for the 2 (?) damaging skills) for healers cause heals never miss. A set only with the primary stat and a combination out of power, crit and surge would be ideal. For that you would have to change mods around cause dd sets are mostly stacked with accuracy and healer sets with alacrity.