PvP at 50: is Kinetic worth it?

Argurioo

Hi guys, i wanted to ask you an advice about the pvp spec at 50. I love pvp and i tried both infiltration and kinetic combat playstyle, but i ignore how the pvp looks like at 50 and if now im able to sustain a good 1vs1 combat and group utility as kinetic, i wonder if this is going to be any good at 50?

What i mean is that i presume that dps classes at 50 are going to have a lot more accuracy

so probably my defense rating will be totally useless against them so is it even worth to think about tank spec at 50?

Is the burst of the dps classes too powerful to resist? Is Kinetic combat useful at 50 or is just gonn adie against overwhelming damage?

Will my damage be at least accettable or i will be just unkillable style-but no use?

In short will kinetic suck at 50 xD?

My build is 31/0/10. Champion Stalker DBLS and survivor's gloves / earpiece. Others all centurion survivors. Rakata relics. End stim. 19~ hp buffed. Champion focus as offhand.

Using the slow time, project, project, force potency, surge adrenal and then telekinetic throw I can crit for 6k with the throw, heal almost 3k, plus the dmg of the others skills. Also remmber to guard an healer (you get also the +5% dmg buff from the survivor set) and to mind control / mass mind control every time you can. I usually end wzs with 200k dmg, 100k protection and 8-10 medals

I played as Infiltration until the recent patch. Now I'm 31/0/10. I can kill anything 1 on 1. I am almost always at the top of the leader board with medals. And I haven't even reached my full potential. I see shadows/assasins who are much more skilled than I. One assasin got 16 medals as 27/2/12 earlier today. Kinetic is the most opowerful spec IMO at the moment. That being said. I know an Infiltration Shadow who almost always gets 12 medals and he flat out rocks. Did almost 500K damage in one match I was in. So play what you enjoy the most.

I am doing 31/0/10 and have no complaints about the balance between damage and survivability. I do not use a shield or and all defensive stats are swapped out for offensive mods/enhancements, and I do not take Kinetic Ward. I have found that I have no trouble reaching 200k damage in a warzone, and depending on how targets present themselves, I can go over 300k total. I definitely have less damage potential hit-for-hit than other specs.

Infiltration Shadows probably kill faster and hit harder, but definitely cannot stay in the fight as long as I can.

When I tried out the "new" Balance spec I was impressed with the overall damage done, but did not enjoy the lack of burst.

31/0/10 is a great dueling spec too. I've found that most of the fights I win one-on-one are decided during the gravel-throwing phase of my dps rotation. :)

i have to agree tho i have never gotten too 200 damage in a wz i do leave with 150 most of the time

I have no problems getting the 300k medal in voidstar / turret WZ's. But it all depends on your opponents of course.

My average is like 225k I guess. In hutball I hardly get more then 100k because I am focussing on the ball, not on people. (I rather pull them in the fire, instead of wasting time).

Have to add I am not full kinetic, I only went up the tree untill harnessed shadows, and got the usefull balance skills.

Edited by Smerte

Used to play "earthbender" build with 3-part Project boost (bombardment, circling shadows, upheaval, now as CS is gone, after few attempts i ended with 31/2/8 - 2 for shadow strike proc / 2 upheaval, 1 project/DS cost decrease.

Not bad, not bad at all. - 1 on 1 i am able to survive long, sometimes i also kill something :) from strategic / pvp role as kicker and dmg taker it's great.

average dmg per voidstar 180k +~40k protection - usualy i am the guy hiden on the empty field guarding point.

Used to play "earthbender" build with 3-part Project boost (bombardment, circling shadows, upheaval, now as CS is gone, after few attempts i ended with 31/2/8 - 2 for shadow strike proc / 2 upheaval, 1 project/DS cost decrease.

Not bad, not bad at all. - 1 on 1 i am able to survive long, sometimes i also kill something :) from strategic / pvp role as kicker and dmg taker it's great.

average dmg per voidstar 180k +~40k protection - usualy i am the guy hiden on the empty field guarding point.

How the force regen rate?

I mean is ok or its terrible?

ps. I just got to ilum as infiltration and mobs are twoshotting me lol

Edited by Argurioo

Kinetic is just awesome. With a healer we can stall even 2v3-2v4, 2v2 is indefinite stall and it just helps so much both in huge fights and to catch runners. Damage is not bad too. Sure, you won't kill with healspam on the other side, but it's still good and annoying as they just can't take you down while you slowly take them down.

Force regen is great. I read the Powerr tank guide, and there is explained everything from the basic, very usefull even if it's mostly based on experience with Battlemaster Gear.

As infiltration, Shadow is just paper class. As kinetic the dmg is not so low, but the survivability is just better for WZ grinding.

I enjoy on Ilum just stand behind and force pull people for easy kills. But as Kinetic is possible to just go in, spam Slow time / Whirlwind or knock them out, pop up resilience, sprint a go back to your team. Usualy oon the way back 10-20times you see tust "resist" as all stupid sorcerers trying lightings on you.

INCOMING TEXTWALL...

Kinetic Shadows have the best overall force regeneration. They regenerate 10.4 force/sec in stead of the standard 8/sec. Additionally, they get 2 force every time they parry/evade/shield an attack, so they actually get lots more force if they're getting hit. However, a really large part of Kinetic DPS comes from Project, which costs 39 force with the standard 31/0/10 build. Since they use Project really, really often, they're usually force-starved. While tanking in PvE, Kinetic Shadows get massive amounts of force from all the avoids/shields. However, you can avoid/shield far less damage in PvP, and in a 1v1 that's not going to give you much force at all.

Infiltration shadows regenerate about 8.9 force/sec. However, they also get large burst force regen. When an infiltration shadow comes out of stealth, they get +4 force/sec regen for 6 seconds from Shadow's Respite. They also have a skill called Blackout (45s CD) that gives them 10 force up front, and then another 6s of Shadow's Respite. This means that an Infiltration shadow can pop out of stealth, use four skills, use Blackout, use another 4 skills, and by the end of that they'll still be at moderate force. However, after that, they run out like normal until they can use Blackout again.

In terms of sustained force, they're actually pretty decent. For one thing, they get Project at half the force cost. Going from 45 force to 22.5 force makes Project an incredibly affordable skill. Their other core DPS skills all cost 25 force if used correctly, and they get whirling blow (our spammable AoE) at 30 force in stead of 40. In my experience, they manage force a lot easier than Kinetic Shadows in a 1v1.

Balance shadows have tricky force management. They have one skill that hits 3 targets for damage, but then leaves 10 charges on each target. Each time a DoT ticks on a target with charges, the charge is consumed and returns 2 force (the DoT also does +20% damage). This means that that skill can restore up to 35 force if it hits 3 targets. Additionally, they have cheap DPS skills; one costs 20 force, another is free, and they get DS at 23 force. However, project-spamming will burn through their force like crazy.

END TEXTWALL...

I'm running this same spec. Average 9 metals a scenario and i'm not afraid of any target. Favorite targets are sorcs with my 5 seconds of immunity to force attacks (i.e. everything they do) and two anytime stuns.

I open on most targets by triggering project as I run through them, turn about face, and drop a shadow strike. It is easy to drop someone to half life with a solid crit or two within one cooldown with this tactic.

So in this 31/0/10 spec do you guys take the tank set of champ armor? Then do you keep the mods in it?

Or if there is a guide somewheres that I missed on this that would be helpful. Only played Infiltration and am currently enjoying it at sub-50 PvP (mostly because of zero expertise). Though once I hit 50 I know I am going to have to switch to Kinetic because I would die in 2 hits if I wasn't.

Edited by SirCruor