Why the 'Star Wars' Prequels Are Better Than the Original Trilogy

DragonAgeOrgins

I have 2 things to say...

1. What prequel trilogy are you talking about? All I saw was teen angst, stupid Jedi who couldn't figure out who the Emperor was even with all of the obvious signs, Padme being a pedophile, the **** of the legacy of Boba Fett (one of the greatest characters in the EU), Darth Vader being born like Jesus, the introduction of bacteria that lets people use the force, a race of humanoids even more annoying and stupid than the Ewoks, the early death of the only good character in Episode I (Qui-Gon), a cast of characters that the movies gave me no reason to care about in the least, C3P0 and R2-D2 somehow knowing Vader yet neither Vader nor the droids remember it later (only C3P0 had his memory wiped, R2 should have remembered him at least), an entire episode of contrived love scenes, some of the most unintelligent villains in cinema history, etc.

2. These aren't the movies you are looking for.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I thought the article was quite clever, and the writer has an interesting perspective on the plots of the six movies. Although I was raised in the time of the Luke Skywalker age (I was 9 when SW came out), and I loved those movies like crazy, the article writer has a point, the plots in the prequels are much more complicated, and have a more intricate construction, than the basic, good vs evil in the '4,5 and 6' episodes.

The characters are far more complex in the prequel...Where I used to see Luke's jedis as heros, I see the truth of it more now, owing to the prequels. The jedi were manipulative and dark too in their own way. Look at how Anakin was treated...he did so much for them, and when he questioned their orders to spy on a friend, he was treated like an outcast. Funny how their dogma only applies when its for their good. I suppose its like history says...evil is a point of view, and whoever wins the war, writes the history. The republic is no better than the empire, they just won is all.

The characters are far more complex in the prequel...Where I used to see Luke's jedis as heros, I see the truth of it more now, owing to the prequels. The jedi were manipulative and dark too in their own way. Look at how Anakin was treated...he did so much for them, and when he questioned their orders to spy on a friend, he was treated like an outcast. Funny how their dogma only applies when its for their good. I suppose its like history says...evil is a point of view, and whoever wins the war, writes the history. The republic is no better than the empire, they just won is all.

That highlighted part is weird to me, because it sounds like you're arguing that the characters of the prequels are more *complex*. Perhaps you made a typing error. Please clarify.

The single worst scene in the PT for me was when Anakin explained to Padme how he murdered an entire Sand People village to avenge his Mother's death. And what does Padme do? She says nothing--puts a hand on his shoulder and lets him cry it out. No hint of revulsion in her eyes. The horror of the statement doesn't appear to hit her at all. And why should it? She's being railroaded into being the love interest by Lucas. She can't think Anakin is a monster even when he behaves like one. The best the actress can do is try to play "feeling sorry for", which is frankly ridiculous--but she isn't receiving good direction so who can blame her? Even a single flicker of doubt in her eyes would have made the moment work, despite the overkill, literally, of the script.

This single scene sums up for me why the Prequels are terrible films. But I think what gets me, even more, and makes me probably overreact hatred-wise, is both the missed opportunities like this one in the existing script--however bad it may be, combined with the ones missed in the script that was never written to begin with because Lucas wouldn't hand over the reins to a more capable writer. This second non-existent script is the one that galls me the most, because I have parts of it imagined in my head, and know that it can never be made because Lucas' estate will prevent anyone doing so for at least the rest of my lifetime and perhaps longer. I would love to see my movie, where Anakin is actually slowly seduced by the power of the darkside, and we along with him. Where each choice, each slip, makes a kind of sense in the moment--one that we can relate to, where we find ourselves almost rooting for him in spite of ourselves. That is the movie I would have liked to see.

Imagine, for example, the pressure exerted by needing to extract some extremely time sensitive information from an operative in order to save some world or other--and we see Anakin wrestle with the idea of using torture to do it. One evil man's torment versus the life of an entire world. We see the hard choice. And when he makes it, and the operative screams in agony as the lightsaber sears his fleash--part of us understands why Anakin does it. Why it is seductive, and why it slowly taints him over time, this way of getting things done. He is hailed as a hero by the Senate, and the people of planet Breckinridge, but chastised by his Jedi brethren for his unorthodox methods. Or simply set his passionate nature against the relentless bureaucracy of the Galactic Senate. Have him cut red tape, disobey orders, get good people killed, but get the job done and save the world. Make him a maverick, like Solo, but have his impulsive nature be part of his undoing.

Oh my lord! So many ways the fall could have gone better--been made more human and relatable instead of the misinterpretation of a dream and being won over to the darkside by the idea of being able to cheat death. Or even, if you must have this bit, add it AT THE END as a final nail in the coffin of Anakin's decline. "Not only can you refuse to be subject to anyone else's rules but your own, but you can ignore the laws of nature altogether. Remain as a force for "good" forever."

"Sign me up, Palpatine!"

Blerg. Sorry. I'm done. Clearly, I've been holding this inside for a long time.

Flickershow

Episodes IV, V, and VI were entertaining and still are. I watch their reruns all the time. Episodes I, II, and III were not entertaining. I've only seen each once and don't intend to see them ever again. Just because you have pealed through Lucas's layers of political symbolism doesn't make the movies any more entertaining for the rest of us. Seriously, you've just put jar jar binks, young child anakin/young anakin, Young ben kenobi, and amidala into the same realm as Vader, Luke, Leah, Han, Chewie and others. The entertainment value from the former simply pales in comparison to the latter.

Episodes IV, V, and VI were entertaining and still are. I watch their reruns all the time. Episodes I, II, and III were not entertaining. I've only seen each once and don't intend to see them ever again. Just because you have pealed through Lucas's layers of political symbolism doesn't make the movies any more entertaining for the rest of us. Seriously, you've just put jar jar binks, young child anakin/young anakin, Young ben kenobi, and amidala into the same realm as Vader, Luke, Leah, Han, Chewie and others. The entertainment value from the former simply pales in comparison to the latter.

Speak for yourself. Personally, I found the prequel movies to be superior to the first three, but not for the political symbolism, merely because I found myself naturally enjoying them more. The Battle Droids, Darth Maul, Better Fight Scenes, General Grievous, Order 66... No, I would happily take the prequels over the others any day. And yes, I saw Jar Jar as a young child and I found him hilarious. At the same time, I can understand why people prefer the first three, it's what you grew up with.

Do not assume that because you think it's the best thing since sliced bread, that everyone else does as well.

I have to admit, I've defended the prequels for years, even Episode 1.

But I haven't seen Episode 1 in years and I finally did in theaters with the 3D release. I have to say, I was disappointed.

First off the 3D is really not good at all. I went because I figured when it came to special effects, Lucas knows his business. (I mean we're talking about THX, Skywalker Sound, ILM, etc.)

But this was a total failure 3D wise. Disney animated movies do a better job.

Also, I forgot how irritating the movie truly was. If it wasn't for the Pod-racing and Darth Maul, there would be nothing good about it.

Jar Jar Binks of course is a major reason why. Before I saw this release I thought people were too hard on him but this is definitely not the case.

They deliberately try to make him the comic relief but they do so in such a childish way that it's not even funny at all. I seriously feel the entire Gungan race was created to be laughed at.

Plus little Anakin just didn't do it for me. I know he's a kid but there are a lot of better kid actors out there who could sell this character for me.

Overall if there wasn't any action on screen, it was torture.

On a side note. I did notice that Yoda is now completely digital. He wasn't in the original Ep. 1.

Oh and I swear Bioware got the recuperate animations for the Jedi Knight and Sith Inquisitor from that scene between Qui-Gon and Darth Maul when they were stuck on either side of the red shield during the final duel. (Qui-gon kneeling down with Maul pacing back and forth)

Speak for yourself. Personally, I found the prequel movies to be superior to the first three, but not for the political symbolism, merely because I found myself naturally enjoying them more. The Battle Droids, Darth Maul, Better Fight Scenes, General Grievous, Order 66... No, I would happily take the prequels over the others any day. And yes, I saw Jar Jar as a young child and I found him hilarious. At the same time, I can understand why people prefer the first three, it's what you grew up with.

Do not assume that because you think it's the best thing since sliced bread, that everyone else does as well.

What? lol really? The OP makes a "The Prequals are better than the Originals" thread, but you say nothing about him speaking for himself, but I give my opinion about better and more interesting characters (see less irritating, less whiny) and I get a finger waved at me. lol these forums are a total joke.

I'm re-watching all 6, just finished 3 last night. I did this about a year ago and I liked 1-3 better than the dull, slow action 4-6.

I was never a fan growing up but I believe people who loved Star Wars as a child, thinking 4-6 would be the only movies, feel they're superior due to being a kid at the time. I was basically going through all of 1-6 as an adult for the first time and the older movies just felt slow and action-less. Anakin felt much more powerful in the first 3, so was everyone else. Watch Anakin swing a light saber in 4-6, he's like an old man. Sure, it was made in the 70s, maybe that's part of the problem.

I'm re-watching all 6, just finished 3 last night. I did this about a year ago and I liked 1-3 better than the dull, slow action 4-6.

I was never a fan growing up but I believe people who loved Star Wars as a child, thinking 4-6 would be the only movies, feel they're superior due to being a kid at the time. I was basically going through all of 1-6 as an adult for the first time and the older movies just felt slow and action-less. Anakin felt much more powerful in the first 3, so was everyone else. Watch Anakin swing a light saber in 4-6, he's like an old man. Sure, it was made in the 70s, maybe that's part of the problem.

That's not why people love movies 4-6. Its not rose colored glasses, its not being a kid at the time. The originals have real characters development. They tell a story instead of trying to impress you with robots and lightsabers.

The prequels are pure garbage. Its all couch scenes with wooden characters. The ridiculous light saber battles in the prequels actually ruined a lot of what made star wars "cool".

I can't say it any better than red letter media so I won't try. I'm sick of typing it all out.

It's odd how you bring up the idea that people liked the OT films more simply because they grew up with them while including the words I highlighted. This is because kids generally go for the action, explosions, and fancy effects over things like good story, dialogue, character development, etc. Try watching the films in 5+ years when you've had the chance to grow up, expand your horizons by watching good films, and finishing your formal education.

That highlighted part is weird to me, because it sounds like you're arguing that the characters of the prequels are more *complex*. Perhaps you made a typing error. Please clarify.

Nothing to clarify, you read it correctly. I felt the characters in the prequels were more complex...so was the story. The only thing with the story is that the dialogue could have been written much better than it was. Luke's chapters were awesome, but basically good vs evil stories...very clear cut in plot. Anakin's chapters were amazing too, but they showed us more of the political end of it, and machinations of the various characters, whether Jedi, or Sith...everyone had an agenda, and it was interesting how those agendas affected each other and the overall plot. Say what you will about the movies, I for one, love them all, but the first are more complicated, as you see alot more unveiled about the universe at that time, then you do in Luke's era.

Nothing to clarify, you read it correctly. I felt the characters in the prequels were more complex...so was the story. The only thing with the story is that the dialogue could have been written much better than it was. Luke's chapters were awesome, but basically good vs evil stories...very clear cut in plot. Anakin's chapters were amazing too, but they showed us more of the political end of it, and machinations of the various characters, whether Jedi, or Sith...everyone had an agenda, and it was interesting how those agendas affected each other and the overall plot. Say what you will about the movies, I for one, love them all, but the first are more complicated, as you see alot more unveiled about the universe at that time, then you do in Luke's era.

So you were serious when you said the characters in the prequel were more complex. You're free to have any opinion you like, of course, but it's hard to say that characters in the PT films were more complex when little backstory is shown on any of them. For example, here are some questions about General Grievous relating to his character that the PT films never answer:

1) Where did he come from?

2) Why did he decide to join the Separatist faction?

3) How did he rise to become a general?

4) Why does he hate Jedi so much?

5) How did he become a cyborg?

Another example is that aside from Yoda, Obi-Wan, Windu, and Anakin, none of the other Jedi are even referred to by name at any point in the films. Then there is the fact that the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan is never built up prior to AoTC. It's the details that make things complex, and the PT films have very little of them.

So you were serious when you said the characters in the prequel were more complex. You're free to have any opinion you like, of course, but it's hard to say that characters in the PT films were more complex when little backstory is shown on any of them. For example, here are some questions about General Grievous relating to his character that the PT films never answer:

1) Where did he come from?

2) Why did he decide to join the Separatist faction?

3) How did he rise to become a general?

4) Why does he hate Jedi so much?

5) How did he become a cyborg?

Another example is that aside from Yoda, Obi-Wan, Windu, and Anakin, none of the other Jedi are even referred to by name at any point in the films. Then there is the fact that the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan is never built up prior to AoTC. It's the details that make things complex, and the PT films have very little of them.

You realize you could do that with some of the OT characters too right?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Why the 'Star Wars' Prequels Are Better Than the Original Trilogy

That gave me the best laugh of the week. Heck Galaxy Quest was better than Episode 1. The only thing better about 1,2, and 3 is that they are newer.

Edited by G_Vega

Watch all of these and then tell me the Prequels are better than the Originals.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

Dude, I have posted this many times but they either don't watch it or willfully ignore it.

Once a person watches those and understands WHY they are bad movies there is no way they could ever say the prequels were any good. He rips them apart so much (and spells it out so well) that no rational person could like the prequels again.

Its hilarious when the people are TRYING to describe the characters from the prequels. They can't even do it.

Lucas really is brain dead. He was brilliant in his younger years but he's gotten lazy and too self absorbed.

Dude, I have posted this many times but they either don't watch it or willfully ignore it.

Once a person watches those and understands WHY they are bad movies there is no way they could ever say the prequels were any good. He rips them apart so much (and spells it out so well) that no rational person could like the prequels again.

Its hilarious when the people are TRYING to describe the characters from the prequels. They can't even do it.

Lucas really is brain dead. He was brilliant in his younger years but he's gotten lazy and too self absorbed.

I agree fully with the RedLetter review.

I've watched it and I still like the prequels, and he doesn't really "rip" them he just seriously nitpicks so hard on them. What do you mean by TRYING to? I can describe the characters, its not that hard.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yha, I discovered Red Letter's reviews on these forums

Episode 1 is a kids movie. Episode 2 is a chick flick. Episode 3 is a good action movie. Hated the i love you more ani crap in ep 3. Episodes 4/5/6 have great qualitys about them for movies made at that time. I just find them to be verry boring. Edited by MajinEddie

You realize you could do that with some of the OT characters too right?

Let's see, starting with the main villain in the OT films stayed on throughout all 3 films (Darth Vader). His motivations were explained (the Empire exists to impose order on the galaxy, but he wants to overthrow the Emperor and rule with his son as his apprentice), and he's fleshed out (his inner conflict that eventually leads to his redemption).

Let's look at the protagonist of the OT films (Luke Skywalker): we see his beginnings (a farm boy on a boondock planet who dreams of getting away by joining the Academy to be a pilot like his friend Biggs already did). Luke then begins his start as a Jedi through his meeting with Obi-Wan where he also learns about his father. He becomes a hero by blowing up the Death Star and starts off ESB as a ranking officer in the Rebel Alliance. He begins his Jedi training in earnest with Yoda, but rushes to save his friends from Vader and learns the hard way that he is not ready yet. He progresses further in his training by the time of RoTJ but has to face the ultimate trial by facing his father and the Emperor. Luke is able to help his father redeem himself by appealing to the good side of him in the nick of time, while his friends blow up the 2nd Death Star. He is able to see the ghost of his redeemed father, then rejoins his sister and friends as they face the universe following the fall of the Empire.

No, the characters in the PT films were nowhere near as complex as those in the OT films.