The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Real Open World PVP Video. What It's Supposed To Be Like.

Mcskeet

Bioware bought the rights to DAOC, like Michael Jackson bought the rights to the Beatles music, doesn't mean Michael Jackson is a Beatle.

GW2 is going to be the closest thing to DAOC 2 you will ever see with their WVW

The development team at Bioware doesn't know how to do world pvp. As evidenced by Ilum. The area they developed for focused pvp had no defensible positions, no choke points, no places for mass battles other than at either base.

Just hang out in SWTOR till GW2. we are 8 days away from the GW2 press beta, and the announcements are going to blow your mind to the amazing that is coming.

I hope your right, im ready to blow this joint..... EA can continue their push to fail.

Mythic created Dark Age of Camelot, which has won almost every mmo pvp award in the 11 years it's been running. Electronic Arts bought out the game 2 years ago, and turned it over to Bioware.

Bioware's inspiration for open world pvp " Ilum " etc. came from this game. They have the material right in front of them, so why can't they achieve this?

A few reasons: Player expecations, UI is too broken to be able to do this yet, and the game's not efficient enough to be able to handle this many people on screen.

But are they eventually going to get the game in this kind of shape? If they do, they will rule the MMO world.

Well, still looks like a bunch of people running around zerging...

... but at least it isn't at 1 frame per second.

I never played DAoC, but played Lineage 2 in a private server and not for a long time. Guess that L2 castle sieges might b influenced by DAoC.

Tbh I found that rly funny, mass killing, mass zerging, but I rly see a hard time that will happen here in ToR, mainly cause we as Republic, we lack the numbers to b able to hold a full mass zerg from Imps.

The only way I would see that viable is if we r in a deffense play, holding a fortress or so, letting our less number b able to deal with the huge Sith inc. That would b funny tho ^^

World "pvp" in a nutshell: Nil-skill zerging that drastically favours ranged & aoe classes and teams on the friendly side of faction imbalances. Apparently, this is a more fun and more skillful form of pvp compared to "carebear" instanced pvp where teams have equal numbers and individual skill can turn the tide of a battle.

I wish everyone understood that, but sadly the majority of people who actually post on the forums dont even know what they are asking for, and have this unrealistic impossible vision of what they think world pvp is or should be, which is completely entirely delusional.

I watched the youtube video the op linked and, it looked the same as ilum.

Edited by Ulltramagns

I wish everyone understood that, but sadly the majority of people who actually post on the forums dont even know what they are asking for, and have this unrealistic impossible vision of what they think world pvp is or should be, which is completely entirely delusional.

I watched the youtube video the op linked and, it looked the same as ilum.

You've never seen anything other than dual faction wvw I take it?

If you didn't play DAoC then you really can't judge the game from the one horribly recorded thing you saw early in this thread.

1)Capturing a Factions Relic required a zerg.

2)These things were not the norm, they would happen once, maybe twice a week and work organized no unlike a major raid event.

3)The fact that a game this old could have so many players fighting each simultaneously...I just don't get it. Better graphics = lag more. With 2+ gig video cards and RAM out the ***** and we can't get a UI to recognize clicks?

As a fan of Star Wars and pvp I'm a bit dissapointed to say the least.

wow your a total ******......

I was there at the invite of the Assistant Producer for Ultima Online, they just happens that those two titles have their developers working on the same floor. I was chatting with one of the developers for UO, when he walked up and just asked me a question out of the blue..

Edited by Quantum

Perfect example of one of the people mentioned.

Except I know what I'm asking for. I have been pvp'ing since it was pk/pkk. I played UO, L2, SB, AO, AC, SWG, DAOC and pretty much every other Main Stream MMO out there that had pvp.

I know exactly what I'm asking for. I know what I'm talking about and the developers were warned all through beta.