specs? Sentinel......learning!

lytlbyt

So, trying out a Sentinel. I hear they take a good while to learn. I honestly can't figure out what spec to try out and use. I am wanting to learn the strengths of the class so I know how to fight against them. I see Watchman has some defensive things and use of the burn DOT a lot. What I am not sure of is if that damage is even worth it. As far as the other two specs, yet to really see, seems like Combat is related to getting a little better sustained DPS with your normal attacks. Focus spec is the shared spec with building up your force attacks.

So, I haven't found a good summary of true strengths to choose yet and whether they are worth it. By the way, I love to PvP and want a good spec to try out there. I am in the 20s atm, so I will figure out the PvE stuff as I go.

Any help and input on the specs and experiences would be appreciated. Most all of the posts in the first few pages on the forum are around the different opinions of how the class needs work. So far, I do agree compared to the other classes I have played. But, I don't have enough experience yet to start posting opinions on that.

watchman is apparently the easiest tree to work with, combat is the most difficult to master with the greater reward, and focus is best for pvp, but only at higher levels

Actually I respectfully disagree with your statement,

I believe watchmen is the most difficult in the spec tree for sentinels...actually maybe in the whole game, but that's my opinion. Combat isn't as bad, your attention is focus on combat trance, blade storm and your focus metter mostly. For watchmen I'm focused on my stack on my stance, centering, my dot cd, mericless strike, zen, trinket for maxing dps on my dots,my focus meter and more. Its a lot to macro manage and it takes time..but its worth it honestly

I dont see why watchman can be harder than combat.

In combat you have 6 sec to use all your major skills, while in watchman. your next 3 attacks will be your better attacks.

in one, if you are stunned, interrupted or anything else, you have to start all over again, while in watchman, it doesnt matter.

watchman is way easier than combat.

For combat once you have blade rush its not hard to keep track of things. Know that after you blade rush (replaces slash btw) you'll automatically have a combat trance, so you'll be able to auto crit that blade storm. After 6 seconds you'll have +1 focus. I found combat to be easy on the resources as long as you blade rush often, and keep zealous strike on CD, you'll rarely need a strike.

What I like to do when all skills are up is BR -> Precision slash -> master strike -> blade storm. When master strike is on CD its more like precision then BR, then storm then more BR's, blade storm should be comming off CD by then.

If you keymap things comfortably and practice, it becomes a matter of muscle memory. :)

Not going to weigh in on which is easier, watchman or combat, but I always found watchman more boring than combat's fast pace.

Edited by Ravrohan

Actually I respectfully disagree with your statement,

I believe watchmen is the most difficult in the spec tree for sentinels...actually maybe in the whole game, but that's my opinion. Combat isn't as bad, your attention is focus on combat trance, blade storm and your focus metter mostly. For watchmen I'm focused on my stack on my stance, centering, my dot cd, mericless strike, zen, trinket for maxing dps on my dots,my focus meter and more. Its a lot to macro manage and it takes time..but its worth it honestly

Basically, here is the poop. As I explained in another thread

WATCHMAN: Survivability, ending damage. People say amazing DoTs, that is a lie, like cake.

COMBAT: Amazing for endurance fights, and mobs, you do pull a lot of aggro, and this can mess up the tanks a bit. Though you can just jump in and just wave your saber where ever you please and things will die.

FOCUS: Basically, quick bursts, Godlike on PVP. Only down thing is that you have to build up. Otherwise you will hit like a used *****.

Case being, If you want speed and be an idiot like I am, go for Combat, if you want to control the situation and survive with out a healer, go with Watchman, but if you want to go ape **** and just let them fly, go with Focus.

Watchman def requires the most talent. It's rotations are more complicated and there are more abilities that need precise timing than Force or Combat tree.

Watchman is the best for PVP I often have as much healing as some of the lower geared healers and always 1 or 2 in damage.

Combat is ez mode you pretty much have 3 diff abilities you use as soon as they are ready every single time.

Force looks like it has potential but right now is not as powerful as watchman.

Bottom line this is just how it is

Did you guys see that? he put that last sentence in bold, so his opinion must be true!

Watchman is a much easier spec to use than combat, there are dozens of thread on this forum of people saying "I switched from combat to watchman and its so much easier!"

I have never seen anyone say the opposite.

Although I have seen lots of people who play watchman bragging about how their spec is the hardest in the game and how amazing they are.

Edited by LiveandDieinLA

For combat once you have blade rush its not hard to keep track of things. Know that after you blade rush (replaces slash btw) you'll automatically have a combat trance, so you'll be able to auto crit that blade storm. After 6 seconds you'll have +1 focus. I found combat to be easy on the resources as long as you blade rush often, and keep zealous strike on CD, you'll rarely need a strike.

What I like to do when all skills are up is BR -> Precision slash -> master strike -> blade storm. When master strike is on CD its more like precision then BR, then storm then more BR's, blade storm should be comming off CD by then.

If you keymap things comfortably and practice, it becomes a matter of muscle memory. :)

Not going to weigh in on which is easier, watchman or combat, but I always found watchman more boring than combat's fast pace.

You want to open with Precision Slash then follow it with a Blade Rush and THEN you do a Blade Storm. Cap this off with a Blade Rush spam until you're empty and the life of your enemy = gone (unless they're shielded and/or being healed).

Edited by PantsOn

Watchman is a much easier spec to use than combat, there are dozens of thread on this forum of people saying "I switched from combat to watchman and its so much easier!"

I read a lot of forums and I don't feel that I have ever really seen this. I of course am a sent. I started combat and felt I was pretty successful in pve, but pvp not so much. I feel the problem with combat is the length of the chain. You have to string 5 or 6 moves to max damage. Watchman = force leap>overload sabre>leg strike or cauterize> cauterize if not yet, or precision slash (the better focus builder, if not the right name.)> spam favorites.... The difference being that unfortunately there is a huge amount of cc and knockback against you. If i get the first 3 off with watchman I am gonna keep up in damage. With combat, break the chain = start over... You can say that I just didn't understand combat, and that is fine, all i know is i am a lot more effective in pvp now.

I have heard that focus is a great damage stat grinderfe, but I have also heard it is difficult as a finisher. Can't say myself, haven't tried it.

I miss a few things from combat, extra roots and speed, but I feel I am better at watchman. Is it easier, I don't feel so, but it does have a longer chain, with a better chance for interrupt. Combat however will throw the large damage if you can pull it off.