The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Whats with the jet charge obsession?

Eroex

Seriously what is the obsession with jet charge?

I get it its a gap closer but people are making it out to be the end all be all in some of these threads.

Its not required for PVP at all, stop making such a huge deal about it. Throw the ball and score. Stop being Kobe and trying to score on your own.

I find it much harder to get medals when trying to tank in PVP than just being a pure DPS and spamming taunt. Getting 8-12 medals a game isn't hard as DPS spec you don't need gimmicks to do it.

Edited by Eroex

I am guessing you are dps so jet charge is piontless for you to have because if your pyro you do most of your damage from range but as a tank/pyro hybrid I find it a must have to keep pressure on a ball carrier and to score and get past obsticles. So for me being a support player having this ability is a must

It not the end all be all but If you want to tank in ion stance you should get it.

Its not just a gap closer, it is both a root and interupt. If you want to make a pvp tank primarily to tank it's another tool for protecting someone.

If you want to play a DPS class with taunts you can do that but you are not filling the same role without guard.

If you want to play pyro in ion stance that is viable too but its a trade off where you sacrifice 2 roots, some durability and more mobility for more DPS.

Seriously what is the obsession with jet charge?

I get it its a gap closer but people are making it out to be the end all be all in some of these threads.

Its not required for PVP at all, stop making such a huge deal about it. Throw the ball and score. Stop being Kobe and trying to score on your own.

I find it much harder to get medals when trying to tank in PVP than just being a pure DPS and spamming taunt. Getting 8-12 medals a game isn't hard as DPS spec you don't need gimmicks to do it.

I've gone from playing CP to playing full pyro and the single thing I miss the most is charge. To say you don't understand the "obsession" with jet charge is to say you are clueless. Nine times out of ten, I wouldn't even use jet charge to try to score in huttball. We are not a ranged class, and to effectively harass, snare, and damage something we need to be on top of it. With people being gripped all over the map on several different levels, a 45 second grapple cooldown (or 35 seconds) just doesn't cut it - it's too valuable a cooldown to waste simply to close a gap. You'll generally need to save it as a last-ditch tool for pulling enemy ball carriers into fire. The "obsession" with jet charge is very reasonable - it gives the class some much-needed mobility.

Edited by LexiCazam
Insult

I am guessing you are dps so jet charge is piontless for you to have because if your pyro you do most of your damage from range but as a tank/pyro hybrid I find it a must have to keep pressure on a ball carrier and to score and get past obsticles. So for me being a support player having this ability is a must

thermal detonator and rail shot is 30

flame burst is 10

inc missile is 30

rocket punch is 4

outside of 10m, our dps gets cut in half (no rocket punch or flame burst mean no free railshot procs, no railshot procs means less damage and resources on top of less dot upkeep)

and to the OP, jet charge is the best ability pts have.

Edited by Ryotknife

I've gone from playing CP to playing full pyro and the single thing I miss the most is charge. To say you don't understand the "obsession" with jet charge is to say you are clueless. Nine times out of ten, I wouldn't even use jet charge to try to score in huttball. We are not a ranged class, and to effectively harass, snare, and damage something we need to be on top of it. With people being gripped all over the map on several different levels, a 45 second grapple cooldown (or 35 seconds) just doesn't cut it - it's too valuable a cooldown to waste simply to close a gap. You'll generally need to save it as a last-ditch tool for pulling enemy ball carriers into fire. The "obsession" with jet charge is very reasonable - it gives the class some much-needed mobility.

I dont have a problem getting into melee range honestly. Sweltering heat fixes most of the issues with basic attack, electrodart helps also and grip are really useful. You only need to be in melee range once every 15 seconds as pyro. Other than that once you are within 10 meters its easy to get into melee range.

You can put a significant amount of damage onto a target as you are running in to melee range. I have no issues doing it.

Gimping my damage for a jet charge is not worth it at all.

jet charge is the best ability pts have.

the trade off to get it makes it one of the worst abilities.

Edited by LexiCazam
Insult - reply

I dont have a problem getting into melee range honestly. Sweltering heat fixes most of the issues with basic attack, electrodart helps also and grip are really useful. You only need to be in melee range once every 15 seconds as pyro. Other than that once you are within 10 meters its easy to get into melee range.

You can put a significant amount of damage onto a target as you are running in to melee range. I have no issues doing it.

Gimping my damage for a jet charge is not worth it at all.

If you have no problem getting into melee range on a target a level above you in huttball while grapple is on cooldown, you must be a wizard.

Significant amounts of damage onto a target while closing range? IM does next to nothing so...significant amounts of rapid shots? And one rail shot?

Edited by LexiCazam
Insult

If you have no problem getting into melee range on a target a level above you in huttball while grapple is on cooldown, you must be a wizard.

Significant amounts of damage onto a target while closing range? IM does next to nothing so...significant amounts of rapid shots? And one rail shot?

Your drunken boyfriend's video is not impressive at all, and does nothing to prove that charge is any less useful than, well, everyone except you thinks. What IS impressive is that he went with 9% aim instead of TD - you're both dumber than I gave you credit for.

He did 300k damage with 4:30 left in the game. He also does great burst damage when he is on people. It bugged at the end with 0's for every one but he did very good damage, and had no issues helping win the game.

9% aim > TD, when you get better gear, at ~1450 aim they do within 15 DPS of eachother, top geared 9% aim scales better.

I tried TD spec for over a week and I did much less damage in warzones than 9% aim. TD is very over rated. I also use the spec for PVE (although I take heat vents) so using a PVE spec I do very well in WZs getting 10-12 medals a game normally.

The massive damage drop just to get jet charge isn't worth it.

The point is you dont need to respec to you gimmick spec to do well in WZs I've seen countless moron PTs with that useless jet charge spec that cant break 200k damage, cant kill any one without help, get like 5 medals, and dont help the team to win any more than I do.

OOO you can jet charge up there and what do you do when you get there? Annoy them to death with Ion charge?

Edited by Eroex

I thought i would cry when i switched from parakeet to full Pyro, and at first I REALLY missed the charge in hut ball, but then i started passing more. The damage and burst of Pyro is so much better, I don't care now.

Really we should just complain until that ability is base line. All of our skill trees would benefit from that.

He did 300k damage with 4:30 left in the game. He also does great burst damage when he is on people. It bugged at the end with 0's for every one but he did very good damage, and had no issues helping win the game.

9% aim > TD, when you get better gear, at ~1450 aim they do within 15 DPS of eachother, top geared 9% aim scales better.

I tried TD spec for over a week and I did much less damage in warzones than 9% aim. TD is very over rated. I also use the spec for PVE (although I take heat vents) so using a PVE spec I do very well in WZs getting 10-12 medals a game normally.

The massive damage drop just to get jet charge isn't worth it.

The point is you dont need to respec to you gimmick spec to do well in WZs I've seen countless moron PTs with that useless jet charge spec that cant break 200k damage, cant kill any one without help, get like 5 medals, and dont help the team to win any more than I do.

OOO you can jet charge up there and what do you do when you get there? Annoy them to death with Ion charge?

Are you seriously comparing DPS numbers for PvP?

PROTIP: DPS numbers are for PvE. You clearly have no idea what PvP is all about.

A slightly delayed 3-5k damage attack on a 15 second cooldown allows for much more controlled burst than.....about 1% crit and about 30 bonus damage? It also pops stealthers back out if you don't catch them with a stealth scan. It is, in every way, better for PvP than 9% more aim.

It's a spec that offers more mobility, more survivability, and the ability to guard. It's not an all-out damage spec so to whine about its damage output really makes no sense.

The "point," as you say, is not that you don't need jet charge in order to do well in warzones. The point is that charge is incredibly useful, especially in huttball, and should really be a trained class skill. If you don't understand why people are "obsessed" with the skill, you don't understand powertechs.

Edited by LexiCazam
Insult

Jet Charge = your enemy can never get away from you if you cycle your skills correctly.

It's the best equalizer against Sorc/Sages. Allows for close proximity lovin', until you break their back ;-). It's also great for ruining TM/GR Merc days. They really panic when their TM/GR spam is rudely interrupted, and they just can't get rid of you.

It's the one ability that makes you feel like you actually have a jetpack. WHat's not to like?

WHOA

WHOA

WHOA

...we have a jetpack?

Seriously, Vanguard charge is the same as ours minus the jetpack - they run as fast as we fly (wat?). And Sandpeople on Tatooine use Flame Sweep; last I checked they didn't really embrace technology.

I would LOVE if Jet Charge were a base Powertech ability. We are the farthest thing from a ranged tank as it is. You can even make it a Jango Fett style Jet Charge that puts us 10m away from the target instead of on top of them to make us feel more like Bounty Hunters and less like a non-Force-using Jedi.

Edited by Mapex

Are you seriously comparing DPS numbers for PvP?

PROTIP: DPS numbers are for PvE. You clearly have no idea what PvP is all about.

A slightly delayed 3-5k damage attack on a 15 second cooldown allows for much more controlled burst than.....about 1% crit and about 30 bonus damage? It also pops stealthers back out if you don't catch them with a stealth scan. It is, in every way, better for PvP than 9% more aim.

To call CP a "useless jet charge spec" is quite idiotic of you (but that's really par for the course now). It's a spec that offers more mobility, more survivability, and the ability to guard. It's not an all-out damage spec so to whine about its damage output really makes no sense.

The "point," as you say, is not that you don't need jet charge in order to do well in warzones. That's obvious and if you made a thread just to say that you'd be a clueless idio.....oh wait. The point is that charge is incredibly useful, especially in huttball, and should really be a trained class skill. If you don't understand why people are "obsessed" with the skill, you don't understand powertechs.

I have no idea what PVP is about? I don't understand the class?

Why do i need guard when i can get the same amount of medals with taunt and AOE taunt?

Why do I need jet charge when I can get to targets just fine when i pick my battles correctly, so i cant jump up a level, who cares position yourself correctly in the first place and it doesn't matter.

Im using a PVE spec that I play just as well if not better than the parakeet clowns, I admitted its a PVE spec in the last post. Yet you act like I'm saying its the best PVP spec. The point is you definitively don't need to be the "best" PVP spec.

You can make the argument it should be a class skill all you want, I'm fine with that I would love for it to be a base class skill. However, Its not worth the extra points in shield tech. More mobility? sure. more survivablity? sure. Do I need it? NOPE. I just blow people up. Do I have a problem surviving? Not at all in fact there have been countless times I've survived 2v1 and killed them both.

Also your moronic statement "dps numbers are for PVE" shows now clownish you are, if you have high sustained DPS over a long fight even if they have a healer they wont survive, I have killed people with pocket healers tons of times. I have great burst and I have great long term DPS. Whats the problem in your eyes? I cant jump up a platform. that's your only valid objection? WHO CARES. I've had tons of 1500+ valor and 115 commendation games. If you have survivablity issues vs ranged? Learn how to LOS.

Edited by Eroex

I have no idea what PVP is about? I don't understand the class?

Why do i need guard when i can get the same amount of medals with taunt and AOE taunt?

Why do I need jet charge when I can get to targets just fine when i pick my battles correctly, so i cant jump up a level, who cares position yourself correctly in the first place and it doesn't matter.

Im using a PVE spec that I play just as well if not better than the parakeet clowns, I admitted its a PVE spec in the last post. Yet you act like I'm saying its the best PVP spec. The point is you definitively don't need to be the "best" PVP spec.

You can make the argument it should be a class skill all you want, I'm fine with that I would love for it to be a base class skill. However, Its not worth the extra points in shield tech. More mobility? sure. more survivablity? sure. Do I need it? NOPE. I just blow people up. Do I have a problem surviving? Not at all in fact there have been countless times I've survived 2v1 and killed them both.

Also your moronic statement "dps numbers are for PVE" shows now clownish you are, if you have high sustained DPS over a long fight even if they have a healer they wont survive, I have killed people with pocket healers tons of times. I have great burst and I have great long term DPS. Whats the problem in your eyes? I cant jump up a platform. that's your only valid objection? WHO CARES. I've had tons of 1500+ valor and 115 commendation games. If you have survivablity issues vs ranged? Learn how to LOS.

I like that this class has more than one viable spec. If deep pyro works for you, all the more power to you. The tank specs that come along with this class though offer a different play-style that is significantly different from a full dps spec. You may very well do the best you can with a full DPS spec but that doesn't reduce the viability of a powertech tank spec.

I like that this class has more than one viable spec. If deep pyro works for you, all the more power to you. The tank specs that come along with this class though offer a different play-style that is significantly different from a full dps spec. You may very well do the best you can with a full DPS spec but that doesn't reduce the viability of a powertech tank spec.

The problem is they aren't trying to push it as a tank spec, they are trying to push it as THE spec.

Post, after post, after post is people advocating how its the only viable PVP spec and that jet charge is mandatory.