Anyway for a merc to beat a sentinel?

Azesino

The biggest problem with sentinels/marauders is their insane ability to lock a caster down. I try to bait their interrupt and once I know it's on CD proceed to free cast their faces off. It helps to know the opponent, through repeated encounters to get a feeling for how much (or how little) they will interrupt. There are some sents/maras on my server that I will be lucky if I can get 1 or 2 casts off, even with fake casting and baiting interrupts. Meanwhile, I can spam a full PVE rotation in the face of others without fear of being interrupted. It really depends on how familiar you are with that sentinel.

Keep in mind this is from an arsenal merc, cast times are something I have to suffer through in order to put out damage so kiting them around is out of the question. Sometimes you really won't be able to take on a skilled sentinel with good gear. In those cases I usually CC and run or knock them back (huttball) and get them out of my hair for a good while.

No way.. They have too big a tool kit and very short interrupt. Not to mention there very powerful defensive CDs. You cannot kite one either, their crippling slash last 12 seconds. Trust me all things equal on flat ground a sent/Mara waxes our arse... Edited by Irishbrewed

Here are some things I've learned about them over time that might help:

1. Cleanse their dots. Yes, you can do this. It helps a ton. Do it as you kite.

2. Use insta+conc as your opener, before you land anything that could dot them. Get range, thermal override + fusion, start your burst. I'm pyro so for me I immediately hit them with incendiary after fusion then start to kite away. If you can knock off 30% of their HP quickly, it might get them to waste a defensive cooldown early while you're at range.

3. Save your knockbacks for their gap closers. If they start right on top of you and you don't have insta conc, you're pretty much dead.

4. If at all possible, save dart for when they pop cloak of pain. This will give you time to heal and to get range, essentially wasting that cooldown. When they pop it, you need to stop attacking or it'll just keep rolling.

5. When they pop undying rage, just try to kite/knockback/fake cast and heal/whatever you can to survive while it's active. They'll wait until they're under 15% to use it, so be ready for it and try to keep one of your 15sec cooldowns in reserve for after it wears off so you can finish them quickly once it does.

6. They will almost always head toward you when they pop force camo, trying to use is as a gap closer and get close enough to open back up on you. So when they vanish, pop stealth scan just ahead of you, directly between you and where he vanished. Immediately start to heal, it'll put pressure on him to close as quickly as possible and hopefully you can pop him out of stealth before he gets to you.

if you use your abilities corretly you can beat them with any tree.

Skill being equal this is not true. Any good melee is going to eat a arsenal merc - unless he tries to engage on the catwalks in huttball - and although a pyro has a much better chance at kiting until help arrives or possibly long enough to escape he will also get his *** eaten if neither of those things happen.

We are not talking about a decent merc vs a terrible melee... always assume equal skill and gear (and by skill I mean both are competent).

I'm about 50/50 against sents. Depends on how much heat I have and whether I've blown my stuns and knockback.

If I can keep them LoS'd and cleanse all their dots, its np, if its open space, I usually run towards help, pop a medpac early and try to keep them just outside 10m range.

Server lag usually keeps them on top of me, I can be literally 20m away and they are still hitting me with sabers. *sigh*

little used tactic by most:

use specials to make an instacast concussion shot when you are bot low, drop one heal on self, and que up your big hits...

win

the secret to all pvp imo is to use crowd control wisely and not get their reistance bar full

they kill me a lot, but i take a few down because they are not expecting me to pull that rabbit out of my hat.

im lvl 23 to start with but I do something they say you should never do......

Soon as they leap, i trinket if i have to then give them 4 missle blasts to the face, vent heat, then another 2 or 3. It puts them immediately on thier heels. Yes I have to deal with my heat but by this time i have created seperation. 9/10 they start to back pedal. You want them to get away from you as quickly as possible because they are coming to do that force smash for 3k damage or more.

So now im overheated but i have them running or backpedaling and im ahead in the HP race. I try to kite as long as possible without blowing any of my defensive/healing cooldowns, just spamming rapid shot for constant damage and heat loss. Eventually he will leap at you again, now you Jet Blast him away, hit him with a elecro dart, followed by a channeled concussion immediately after, hes gonna trink the electro.

You wont have alot of time but they should be low enough to finish them with a tracer or 2. If not Unload on them then Rail Shot. If they are still alive use your bubble hit kolto overload with a WZ medpac (if you need to, frustrates the hell out of them) and finish them off with more missle blasts or IMs. Whichever your level allows.

Its a unorthodox tactic and most advise against it but its worked for me tremendously. We have trouble keeping people off once they are on us, but 4 straight missle blasts to the face will back them up....I guarantee it.

im lvl 23 to start with but I do something they say you should never do......

Soon as they leap, i trinket if i have to then give them 4 missle blasts to the face, vent heat, then another 2 or 3. It puts them immediately on thier heels. Yes I have to deal with my heat but by this time i have created seperation. 9/10 they start to back pedal. You want them to get away from you as quickly as possible because they are coming to do that force smash for 3k damage or more.

So now im overheated but i have them running or backpedaling and im ahead in the HP race. I try to kite as long as possible without blowing any of my defensive/healing cooldowns, just spamming rapid shot for constant damage and heat loss. Eventually he will leap at you again, now you Jet Blast him away, hit him with a elecro dart, followed by a channeled concussion immediately after, hes gonna trink the electro.

You wont have alot of time but they should be low enough to finish them with a tracer or 2. If not Unload on them then Rail Shot. If they are still alive use your bubble hit kolto overload with a WZ medpac (if you need to, frustrates the hell out of them) and finish them off with more missle blasts or IMs. Whichever your level allows.

Its a unorthodox tactic and most advise against it but its worked for me tremendously. We have trouble keeping people off once they are on us, but 4 straight missle blasts to the face will back them up....I guarantee it.

level 23 does not really count bro, no offense you are both missing prime time abilities and expertise gear... you could easily at 50 go tm/tm/hs/tm/railshot and be in the exact same boat without using vent and at 40ish heat...

first guy to stop dpsing tends to lose these fights, well timed knockbacks/edart/insta concussion thown in when they should be helps a lot... though you have to watch that resolve bar.