The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Blowout Matches

LeggoMyMuoio

Is it just me, or are most WZ matches blowouts? Huttball matches never seem to end 6-5, it's usually 6-0 or 6-1. Alderaan often ends with one team still over 300 and Void Star seems to have one team getting the datacron (or close) while the other team can't clear the first room.

So what causes this? Is it the well geared players who just say "screw it, this isn't worth my time" which causes a terrible cycle of players, usually undergeared? Like others, I feel a deserter debuff of some kind should probably be put into place (nothing too severe, but something to make people think twice out just leaving the second things start looking bad).

Thoughts?

Is it just me, or are most WZ matches blowouts? Huttball matches never seem to end 6-5, it's usually 6-0 or 6-1. Alderaan often ends with one team still over 300 and Void Star seems to have one team getting the datacron (or close) while the other team can't clear the first room.

So what causes this? Is it the well geared players who just say "screw it, this isn't worth my time" which causes a terrible cycle of players, usually undergeared? Like others, I feel a deserter debuff of some kind should probably be put into place (nothing too severe, but something to make people think twice out just leaving the second things start looking bad).

Thoughts?

Its not just you. Our server has a fairly good balance of imp vs pub, and still id say 80% of the games we play are blowouts in favor of one side or the other. Once one side starts losing, ppl start leaving and that side can never recover. (especially in a game like voidstar where getting a new player in means they are locked out of participating for a bit)

I am coming around to the idea of incentive to keep ppl in rather than penalty to leaving though. Though im most familiar with the deserter debuff mechanic, and still believe thats better than what we have currently (nothing) I agree with some other posts here, its better to give those players a reason to stay in (and not afk) than just slap a deserter debuff on them.

the only real blowout matches are when a random group goes up against a premade group that is using voice. other matches only seem like blowouts because people quit or stop trying if the other side gets a early lead.

this + while leaving isnt penalised ppl just rage quit meaning the match gets evem more imbalanced at the win

Once one of these happens, people start dropping out like mad and then the future is set: blowout will now ensue.

1) Other teams scores at Huttball within the first 1-2mins.

2) Other teams make it through the first door in Voidstar in the first minute

3) Other team triple caps at anytime in Alderaan (unless you have a decent lead)

Edited by Kadin

Blowouts are a problem, but I'm not sure what could be done about it. Certainly Pre-made vs. PuG has a relatively high probability of turning into a blowout, but even PuG vs. PuG and Pre-made vs. Pre-made games are often very one-sided.

IMO make the 'forfeit' 3 balls scores ahead in Huttball.

About 10% of my matches don't end 6-1 or 6-0 one way or the other.

If it's 2-0 then that's able to be turned fast. 3-0 no. Possible yes, but does it happen? Once in a blue moon?

Would speed **** up too.

Once one of these happens, people start dropping out like mad and then the future is set: blowout will now ensue.

1) Other teams scores at Huttball within the first 1-2mins.

2) Other teams make it through the first door in Voidstar in the first minute

3) Other team triple caps at anytime in Alderaan

1) Yup

2) Yup

3) Depends. If we're already behind by a lot then yup.

Its because when it gets to 2-0 or especially 3-0 everyone on the other team starts leaving. I had a match yesterday it was 3-0 and half the other team left, it pops up "warning balance game will end, blah blah" then as the game puts people in they were just getting slaughtered at their inzone until our team ended it. :(

- The problem in Huttball is that a scoring team usually has players in position to easily score the next point. Huttball is usually a blowout in one direction OR a very low-scoring 0-0, 0-1, or 1-2 affair.

- After a score in Huttball, the scoring team should start from spawn and the scored-on team should start with the ball. In NO circumstances should a scoring team be able to leave players in the opposing end zone.

- In Alderaan, the problem is that once the initial caps have been made, it's MUCH easier to defend than attack. Perhaps the turrets could be modified so that getting one to neutral is an instant action?

- Not sure if Voidstar has a fix, but I HATE spawning into a voidstar match on the losing side.

- The problem in Huttball is that a scoring team usually has players in position to easily score the next point. Huttball is usually a blowout in one direction OR a very low-scoring 0-0, 0-1, or 1-2 affair.

- After a score in Huttball, the scoring team should start from spawn and the scored-on team should start with the ball. In NO circumstances should a scoring team be able to leave players in the opposing end zone.

The best part of Huttball is fighting over mid. If one team has people in the opposing endzone, they have fewer people at mid, which should mean that they'll have a tough time getting the ball out of mid, if they can even get possession at all.

Unfortunately, if one team is "good" enough to control mid with only a few players, or the other team is "bad" enough to fight in dumb places, you're going to get a blowout...but there's not much you can do to avoid that when one team is so much better than the other.

Edited by Lymain

- In Alderaan, the problem is that once the initial caps have been made, it's MUCH easier to defend than attack. Perhaps the turrets could be modified so that getting one to neutral is an instant action?

I definitely agree with this. The 3 nodes in Alderaan are just too damn close to each other and capping middle makes it really easy to get back and forth to your second node. A fix might be making capping the node be quicker or possibly give a path to run to either side nodes without drawing the attention of EVERYONE in the middle.