Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

EA stocks plummetting (Hit below 52 week low today!!)

MadCuzBad

As others have said, stock prices aren't tied to just one game, the economy is so lousy right now I'm amazed any stock is going up.

Just as a wild example, rather than being anything to do with SWTOR it could just as well be Origin under-performing, or their future catalog looking thin.

Now what the OP can be legitimately concerned about is that if EA isn't doing well, they may find a need to cut costs, and the op has jumped to the conclusion that future cuts may be to the Bioware staff. Its an understandable concern, but its more likely that the op will be hit by lightning this afternoon than EA will fall under such tough times.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Friday and there was a period of decent gains recently, so it's a profit-taking day.

Also, yesterday news was released that video game industry sales were way down in this January compared to last year. Down 34%. Video game hardware sales are down 38%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16983122

And EA's stock went lower today then it has been in over a year at anytime whether it was friday, monday, or wendsday. Whats your point?

And EA's stock went lower today then it has been in over a year at anytime whether it was friday, monday, or wendsday. Whats your point?

"17.18 now. Time for you to post about how the stock is rising... "

So are you gonna make an update to announce the rise?

Didnt think so...

So, what was YOUR point?

Driz

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2649417#post2649417

If you guys respond to this thread he wins ! click above

The fact that the OP is a troll doesn't mean the rest of us can't have a thoughtful discussion.

So what is the relevance of this for SWTOR?

Heck, the moderators are allowing a thread about why WoW is declining. Why can't we discuss EA's stock performance?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to insert a quote.

Edited by Knewt

Just went back to 17.08, now its falling. Ur point was?

Just showing that I, too, can take snapshots of market conditions at random and pass them off as something that means anything.

Btw just hit 17.20...

Edited by DarthKong

Yeah, and Blizzard's stock is also down 2.41, because obviously that whole WoW thing is a bit of a stinker:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/videogame-stocks-sink-on-weak-sales-data-2012-02-10?link=MW_latest_news

Games companies' stock is down because, as someone else pointed out, there's been a drop off in retail sales of consoles and software.

Nothing to do with actual titles.

He just need to learn to read good.

Edited by Notannos
insult

Just showing that I, too, can take snapshots of market conditions at random and pass them off as something that means anything.

Did I give you wrong information? I mean why so agressive against what I said? All I did was post the current EA stock price and point out that at one point today it went below its 52 week low.

Am I your enemy because I tell you the truth?

What is more concerning than the price is the comment by Macquarie around a 'lack of visibility into Star Wars trends'. Translated that means that EA isn't giving enough guidance around where they stand on sub trends. I thought it odd that they wouldn't talk about retention rates during the analyst call and would only talk about 'active' subs. That probably came across to analysts that there might be a cancellation issue, which at the time of the call wouldn't have shown in the 'active' number.

Actually, the forums are one of the few indicators the investment community have regarding game releases, and MMOs in particular. Given all the bugreports and QQing going on Im not surprised for one second the stock is below expectations from release. Same thing happened to Funcom after AoC. First it got hyped up from 25 to 50, and when it became evidently clear how miserably the game was gonna fail, after most players hit 50, the shareprice fell down to an all time low of 2,5.

Funcom have now gone up to 20 again, on expectations on The Secret World (another game thats gonna fail).

Obviously EA is a bigger company and have a more diversified game portefolio, but the underlaying trenddynamics is pretty much the same.

Edited by Niconogood

Yeah, and Blizzard's stock is also down 2.41, because obviously that whole WoW thing is a bit of a stinker:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/videogame-stocks-sink-on-weak-sales-data-2012-02-10?link=MW_latest_news

Games companies' stock is down because, as someone else pointed out, there's been a drop off in retail sales of consoles and software.

Nothing to do with actual titles.

He just need to learn to read good.

EA was downgraded. That is why the stock is down as much as it is. This isn't just the 'market'. It isn't just 'profit-taking'. It's the downgrade.

Edited by Notannos
rude quote

While market is indeed down today, EA is down as much as it is since one of it's bigger supporters, Macquarie, dropped their rating on the stock. One of the reasons cited was a 'lack of visibility into Star Wars trends'. This was one of the groups that was very high on TOR and downplayed when others dropped their estimates. I don't think they are saying that TOR is failing here, just that they are concerned about a lack of information on TOR sub trends as well as the overall mess that is EA.

P.S. IMHO EA hits $15 in the next 60-90 days.

Please post the link to EA stock dropping because of SWTOR...

Did I say the stock dropped due to SWTOR? Lack of visibility into Star Wars sub trends was mentioned as one of the reasons which I said in my post. Here's a blurb on WSJ:

Macquarie lowered its stock-investment rating on Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, $17.00, -$0.87, -4.87%) to neutral from outperform noting the continued talent drain of key management, weak industry sales, tough comparatives in the second half of its fiscal 2012 year, very limited visibility into Star Wars trends, investor frustration with the video game group, and challenging revenue and operating margin targets.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-downgraded-to-neutral-at-macquarie-2012-02-10

n a note to clients, analyst Ben Schachter cited factors such as "the continued talent drain of key management," weak industry sales and "very limited visibility" into the trends for "Star Wars: The Old Republic"

Well let's take a look at this:

MadCuzBad says:

"The ONLY thing I like more than playing SWTOR... is playing these forums!

I have been a forum troll for as long as forums have been around. The compassion this game brings to a certain group of people is priceless for forum trolls like myself.

These forums are hands down the best troll fields I have ever had the pleasure of harvesting.

Thanks for all the lolzzzz

My posts are all listed here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/searc...earchid=859169

Thanks and have a great day!!"

And now today we get this:

<snip>

Not good, hope things change here.

Yeah I don't think so. Self admitted troll trying to be coy while stirring **** up to get some lolzzzz.

Are people really this dumb?

Stocks go up and down all the time for ALL companies for all sorts of reasons, I like how some of these Einsteins seem to think EA stock is tied exclusively to SWTOR lol..

Right now with the issues in Greece almost all stocks today are dropping... Please stop making posts like this, I'm embarrassed for you..

wow you talk about stupid this poster has lose his mind Greece really that's what you site as EA poor stock showing O man saw this and laugh my head off

What is more concerning than the price is the comment by Macquarie around a 'lack of visibility into Star Wars trends'. Translated that means that EA isn't giving enough guidance around where they stand on sub trends. I thought it odd that they wouldn't talk about retention rates during the analyst call and would only talk about 'active' subs. That probably came across to analysts that there might be a cancellation issue, which at the time of the call wouldn't have shown in the 'active' number.

My question is why if they have nothing to hide is there all the secrecy? If the game was doing as good or better then expected you would want to share they incredible news with all the investors that are looking for a positive review.

Now if things were going horrible and if the investors found out they would remove their capital from the project then I guess I would just shut up and say nothing. I am only using logic here and have no proof of this. But I would be willing to bet I am pretty darn close to the truth.

Did I give you wrong information? I mean why so agressive against what I said? All I did was post the current EA stock price and point out that at one point today it went below its 52 week low.

Am I your enemy because I tell you the truth?

No you're the enemy because that's what you choose to be.