SW:TOR Versus... SW:G

saidmo

Hahaha, no you weren't. Which version of SWG could you kill a rancor one hour after character creation? Not the original version, I can tell you that. Stop lying.

I am not lying. My first hour in game my brother my brother game me a speeder and a house and we met the GL and placed my house and then we went out and met some other guildies on Dath and killed rancors.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't have come up with the CU and later the NGE if the pop was stable or growing. Early reviews panned SWG as a buggy, incomplete mess. Rose colored glasses are rose colored. Yes, I played at launch and still have my CE art book.

The population was steady about 300,000 for 2 years. Was it growing no but you put out a game with that many bugs and never fix them and show me what game you would expect to get increased subs. Also if it was such a bad game then why didnt the CU/NGE get an increase in subs instead of a large drop off.

To say a game design is the reason your not getting subs and then changing the game completely to fix the problem shouldnt mean that the subs drop 50% after the fix and never grow again. Again it wasnt the game but how they managed/fixed it and the charts/subs show it.

There were definitely elements/ideas TOR could have stolen, but I honestly didn't expect them to, since I've known since forever this was going to be a cookie cutter themepark.

Yes, Lucas Arts own news release Aug 2005. Note, however, it took them over two years to sell a million copies and never had more than 300k subs, and that was only in the very beginning.

Yeah and it was what 8 years ago. when there were not as many mmo games and gamers out there. SWTOR should have more initial sales, that doesnt prove anything.

Oh this thread again.

I'm sure this one will be useful and worth the read.

you forgot your sarcasm quoatations.

Internet people dont understand sarcasm unless you point it out to them Tha!

I gotta admit I didnt even read the opening post because its always the same old lies and misinformation.

Let me guess, OP claims the following

SWG was popular but the NGE killed it?

FALSE

SWG houseing was well received

FALSE (originally yes but as the land filled up, people left because urban sprawl never sells)

SWG was a hot bed of RPing

FALSE

SWG economy was excelent

FALSE

I could go on and on but why bother, its the same old nonsense by the same vocal minority. Trying to sell their fav game as something it wasnt.

And they all like to gloss over (or some now try to claim otherwise now the info buried and lost for most part) the 70% cancellation rate of 1st month subscribers and how it rose to 80% after 3 months in SWG FROM LAUNCH ON.

Why cant they just say

"hey, me and a few thousand people liked SWG and would love for a company to not care about profit and pander to us with old SWG/UO designs"

OP, go look up Arch Age. Its a Sandbox design game coming out for you and your player base. And if they at all reasonable they budgetted for less then 100k players long term so it can survive and even grow over time.

But other then that title, your SWG is dead (other then Emu servers) and gone until a technology change can make REAL Sandbox development!

Lets compare shall we.

SWG was hella boring to level and play.

I feel that way about SWTOR.

The PvP was horrible and filled with wall hugging line of site exploiters. Not only could you not shoot them, but they appeared in a place they were not within 100 yards of.

SWTOR 14 in a warzone, speedhacks looks like it has the same problems 8 years later

If you needed more credits, you just leave your computer running overnight and hand sample. Or, buy a 2nd account and drop harvesters. You didn't have to earn anything.

SWTOR you run dailies and you have no money problems or you can set up a bot at an ilum chest and make a million credits a day. Credits were easy to get in both games but at least in SWG you had something to spend them on.

Any friend who had played for a year or more could easily buy you a full suit of armor loaded with 35s, which you could wear very early on. The whole game was based on playing house.

Anyone who starts playing now doesnt have to worry about getting gear because they can get it by doing quests.

This entire game is based on class quests with voice acted cutscenes. That once you do it once you spacebarred though the next time. There is nothing to keep players playing once they hit 50.

A MMO is suppost to be designed to keep people playing, not to stop playing so they will have something to do the next day.

Sure there was always something that could be done. Normally it was something you'd already done about a billion times in the past, and wasn't particuarly interesting. Like running around placing harvesters or decorating your house.

Don't get me wrong...I played for a couple of years up until a few months before the CU, so I did enjoy the game. But claiming there was anything even remotely resembling an end-game is simply wrong.

There was PVP and for a while there everyone except me in the game was doing the hologrind and then the village (I did do that and wished I had done the hologrind). Also there was so much variety in mobs and planets that it could keep you interested. SWG pre-cu was a good game but maybe too complex and that's why the CU and NGE came about. If Lucas Arts hadn't forced Sony into the NGE, the game might still exist. But the Pre-CU version of the game just didn't draw enough subscribers for Lucas Arts, especially with the fast rise of the theme-parked Wow. I know Sony gets all the blame but I pretty sure they were mostly doing what Lucas Arts told them to.

SWTOR has a lot of good features, this is undeniable too. But it could have been so much better and really "Star Wars", with just a little inspiration of Star Wars Galaxies and the possibility they had 9 years ago, but EA/Bioware obviously dont have in *********** 2011.

I would imagine that the majority of people playing this game have not played SWG. So, most people will log into SWTOR and it will feel sufficiently "Star Warsy" to them, because they don't have any basis for comparison.

I never really played it myself, but most of the really epic things that SWG had are too sandboxy for SWTOR. Which is a shame.

And they all like to gloss over (or some now try to claim otherwise now the info buried and lost for most part) the 70% cancellation rate of 1st month subscribers and how it rose to 80% after 3 months in SWG FROM LAUNCH ON.

SWG didnt sell 1 million boxes in its first month. Someone posted where it said it sold 1.5 million total.

If it did what would that say about SWTOR only selling 2 million 9 years later but spending 200 million+ to make. How much did they spend on SWG to make? a million or 2 or 10 or 20? Whatever it was it was no where near the amount Bioware did and it didnt have the hype that bioware got for the game.

All the thing you say to make it look like SWG was terrible, when compared to SWTOR just shows how bad this game was made.

FALSE

Well maybe the popular isn't quite true but did NGE killed SWG. It took awhile but NGE drove large sections of the player base away. Some left right way, some stayed a few months. My whole guild moved to WOW and NGE was suppose to compete with Wow.

They were trying to match the success of WOW with NGE. They didn't do bad things in NGE but because they changed the core of the game, they lost the core of their subs.

In the end, I'm pretty sure even without NGE the game would have been shut down to make room for SWTOR.

Edited by JerokTalram

you forgot your sarcasm quoatations.

Let me guess, OP claims the following

FALSE

SWG houseing was well received

FALSE (originally yes but as the land filled up, people left because urban sprawl never sells)

SWG was a hot bed of RPing

FALSE

SWG economy was excelent

FALSE

I'm not the OP, but you are either a troll or ignorant of SWG. I played UO from 98-2004 when I jumped to SWG and you are wrong on nearly all of your points except the last one. I'm not making this comment for your benefit, as you are either trolling or not capable of understanding how far off the mark you are.

I am stating this for those who weren't there so they know that your "facts" are garbage.

To stay on topic. I encourage BW to consider borrowing some of the better points from SWG (like you have from WOW). Space, crafting and housing are the top three that come to mind. SWG introduced more themepark content towards the end, no reason a themepark MMO can't introduce some sandboxy goodness!

Edited by Wepo

The SWG 'end-game' was the best kind.... NONE! There was no 'end-game' in SWG. The idea of 'end-game' is emblematic of a theme-park, on-rails game like WoW and ToR. Don't take that to mean I don't like ToR or wow, because I do. They are fine for what they are. They aren't a sandbox. SWG was a sandbox. A sandbox doesn't really have an 'end-game'.

There were no "levels" in SWG. You picked 3 professions to play (out of 32 possibilities), leveled independently of each other, in any order or sequence. You could Master 2 of them, and dabble in a third. Or dabble in several of them if you wanted. At any time you could drop any of your professions and take a totally different one. No levels mean there was no "end of the road" for your "class".

No rails=freedom to play they game the way you want. WoW appealed to the gamers who like methodical, guided and repetitive play, and there are a LOT of them. SWG/Eve/ATitD etc appeal to an additional kind of gamer. The patient, thoughtful kind who enjoy variety, puzzles, complicated mechanics, and social flair. There are a lot FEWER of these type of gamers. SOE simply got greedy and wanted to attract more of the on-rail players at the expense of the free-form players. It failed because of this change. If it had stayed the course and fixed the sandbox, it would have continued to be profitable for years to come (how many old sandbox-ish games are STILL online and profitable?). But trying to lay rail on top of a sandbox is doomed to failure.

Hi everyone,

As mentioned earlier in the thread, we ask that threads made in General Discussion center on discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We have closed this thread as the discussion primarily focuses on other games. Please ensure that topics in General Discussion center around discussion of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Thanks!