Workarounds for People Who Have Migraines

StrikeOfLight

Lots of people in the link below say they are. I am one such person. I was alright before the patch, and so were the dozens and dozens of others claiming to have similar problems.

Just a hypothesis I have: Mass Hysteria or some similar conversion disorder that affects multiple individuals.

"After this initial individual shows symptoms, others begin to manifest similar symptoms, typically nausea, muscle weakness, fits or headache."

Edited by Thaltom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a hypothesis I have: Mass Hysteria or some similar conversion disorder that affects multiple individuals.

"After this initial individual shows symptoms, others begin to manifest similar symptoms, typically nausea, muscle weakness, fits or headache."

*shrug*

Not sure what else to say.

The headaches I'm getting feel pretty real to me. I noticed other people getting the same symptoms. I used myself as a guinea pig to find workarounds, and submitted my findings in this thread to help people.

If I could prove it somehow, I would. It is all a moot point anyhow, seeing as they will fix it in two weeks or so. I just made this thread to try and help people feel better. :o

Nobody is getting a migrane from the flashing ability bars that already weren't getting migranes from the countless flashing spell effects and visual effects throughout this entire game.

"People can't be affected by pulsing strobe lights because they aren't similarly affected by the lamp next to their bed. Herp, Derp."

I hope my tips help you out. It really sucks. :(

Oh they do (I was already doing most of them). Considering that camera flashes set mine off and the game didn't until now, well I don't see why I have to give up a game because of that. I just do less combat than usual until the next patch.

From someone who suffers from persistent migraines (meaning they never truly go away), I would like to throw my two cents into this discussion. If you are looking for relief from sunglasses, you may want to purchase sunglasses with a slight to heavy rose tint to them. This was suggested to me by my neurologist when I was first diagnosed with my condition. Rose tinted glasses are meant to diffuse florescent lighting and decrease the frequency and intensity of migraines. I have found that they are just as useful when I am sitting in front of my computer (which I do for very long periods of time). You may also find that the rose tinted glasses will increase the definition and clarity of what you view on your monitor. Hope this helps some of you. :)

Just FYI to everyone truly interested in this topic. I just got back from a recent eye exam. They bumped my contact prescription up from -7.5 to -8.0. The doctor asked me what I do for a living, and I told him I am an office admin, I sit at a desk and work on a computer all day, and added I play on my computer as a hobby after work.

He told me that is why my eyesight is getting progressively more nearsighted, I'm never giving my eyes a chance to relax. He strongly recommended that every 15 minutes or so I should take my eyes off the monitor and try to focus on something off in the distance out a window for a few minutes.

I figure that advice would benefit everyone, not just those with poor eyesight.

My eye doctor told me the same thing. She said that when we are focusing on a computer, our eyes are actually open wider than normal. Luckily, I have a window right next to my desk, so I don't have to look far to get my eyes off the screen.

"People can't be affected by pulsing strobe lights because they aren't similarly affected by the lamp next to their bed. Herp, Derp."

I've had seizues set off by pulsing strobe lights, after 10 years seizure free. Something changed in my seizure threshold. Normal household lighting doesn't do it, because there isn't something constantly flickering. Luckily, I'm on more medication now, and don't have a problem with it anymore.

Nobody is getting a migrane from the flashing ability bars that already weren't getting migranes from the countless flashing spell effects and visual effects throughout this entire game.

I was wondering about this myself.

Im not trying to be rude or calling anyone a liar, but wouldnt all of the other flashy effects have the same effect on a person? What is with the action bar effect that is so different that it has such an adverse effect on certain people?

Personally I didnt even notice the change. I didnt even find out there was one untill I poked my head in here and noticed a few threads about it.

I had to log in and look for myself to see if it was even true, and I still wonder if the action bar effect has always been the way it is now. Because I dont see any difference personnaly.

I even asked in guild chat what they thought about the new effect. Nobody seemed to even know that there was one untill I explained it to them. They all seemed kind of baffled too.

I have tried all of these, no help other than the break every so often. The best "work-around" would be for BW to revert this horrid mistake, and move on from there. I'm getting fed-up very quickly with this crap. I paid my sub for 6 months, in good-faith that BW would correct issues in a timely manner. Waiting to correct this issue, that effects so many, is just bad business.

I'm to the point of cancelling, and reporting this to the Better Business Bureau as a bait & switch scam. They sure took my money when my 30 day trial was up, why can't they revert this mistake NOW, and put in the new UI on the 20th? Telling us,"Oh we know our game is making you sick, and such. But, keep playing, and PAYING we'll fix it soon." sounds so Blizzard-like.

Please REVERT to the old UI until the 20th!!

I was wondering about this myself.

Im not trying to be rude or calling anyone a liar, but wouldnt all of the other flashy effects have the same effect on a person? What is with the action bar effect that is so different that it has such an adverse effect on certain people?

Personally I didnt even notice the change. I didnt even find out there was one untill I poked my head in here and noticed a few threads about it.

I had to log in and look for myself to see if it was even true, and I still wonder if the action bar effect has always been the way it is now. Because I dont see any difference personnaly.

I even asked in guild chat what they thought about the new effect. Nobody seemed to even know that there was one untill I explained it to them. They all seemed kind of baffled too.

Nope. One flashy light does not = another, different flashy light. People with sensitivity to lights (usually) have issues with very specific patterns. Most lighting effects are harmless. The difference between an effect that is harmful and one that is not is not discernable to someone who does not have the issue or does not have specialized training to recognize it.

Unfortunately it is not really known why some are affected and others aren't.
Although scientists know that approximately 1 in 4000 people (0.5 - 0.8% of children between 4-14 years old) are susceptible to these types of seizures, the number of people affected by this Pokemon episode was unprecedented.
The largest recorded case of this problem occurred in 1997 during the airing of Pokemon television episode in Japan. You can find a reference to it here: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/pokemon.html

Think about it this way: at some point or another you have probably noticed that bank of flourescent lights at work or school is starting to go out b/c it is flashing almost imperceptibly in your peripheral vision. When you look directly at it, it appears fine. You try to point it out to someone and they cannot see it. This is how sensitivity to light effects works.

For anyone suffering health effects, I was able to call Bioware and after being transferred several times and approximately 45 minutes on hold was able to "freeze" my remaining subscription time.

I have to call them back after the fix is released and whatever time remained (so for instance if I don't play from now until the patch) they will transfer it, to when I reactivate my account. But If I login at all then I cannot have that time transferred. So because I logged in for 10 minutes today I cannot have today transferred even though the patch was released two days ago.

So my time isn't really frozen, but as long as I don't play it will be transferred.

Still at lease it is some kind of solution.

Edited by Thesseract

ild have to aggree, that if you are getting migrains and motion sick, please stop playing until the change is put in. i know its a fun game and hard to stop playing, but as someone who had stress migrains for years, they do damage, you dont want any more of them then you can avoid getting. call in and freeze your sub, or let it expire and resub after the patch that removes the blinking, which i did notice, its not overly affecting me, but i can def spot it as an annoying thing on my hotbars when all the buttons change brightness every time i use an ability, shame on you bioware you should know better!

Just saying. If I'm doing something and it hurts, I stop doing it

Of course. I just go through withdrawals akin to going off pain meds if I stop playing SWTOR.

(That, and I am my guild's best healer. I gotta be there, man!):p

Edited by StrikeOfLight

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.