Most noob friendly tank

ElevenBfour

Definitely Powertech/Vanguard, for several reasons:

1) Only tank that gets a lunge-to-target and a pull-target-to-self power. Juggernaut/Guardian gets lunge, Shadow/Assassin gets a pull. Powertech/Vanguard has both tools.

2) More ranged attacks than the other tanks, which gives you more flexibility. You still do most of your work in melee range, yes, but the option of ranged attacks is nice.

3) Fewer procs and conditional abilities to worry about - most of your mitigation is just straight up toughness.

4) Fewer attributes to gear, since you don't need to worry about +def as much as the Juggernaut/Guardian and Shadow/Assassin.

5) You get healer companions early on. A tank doesn't need to run with a healer companion - a DPS companion is a great match too - but tank + healer is HAHA YOU CAN'T KILL ME. Plus, if you need to tank group content where the other players are just DPS and not healers...well, so long as it's just three players, you can pop out your healer comp and go to town.

Now, all that said - Juggernaut/Guardian and Shadow/Assassin have definite advantages to them too. But there's a higher learning curve. Juggs/Guards are easy to pick up, but hard to master, and tricky to hold aggro with especially while levelling. Shadow/Sin tanks do great damage for a tank and have a ton of utility tricks, but you need to be damn familiar with their mechanics to play one well.

So you want Powertech/Vanguard if you're a new tank very unsure of yourself - because it's way more straightforward in comparison to the other two.

Edited by Acyl

1) Only tank that gets a lunge-to-target and a pull-target-to-self power. Juggernaut/Guardian gets lunge, Shadow/Assassin gets a pull. Powertech/Vanguard has both tools.

2) More ranged attacks than the other tanks, which gives you more flexibility. You still do most of your work in melee range, yes, but the option of ranged attacks is nice.

3) Fewer procs and conditional abilities to worry about - most of your mitigation is just straight up toughness.

4) Fewer attributes to gear, since you don't need to worry about +def as much as the Juggernaut/Guardian and Shadow/Assassin.

5) You get healer companions early on. A tank doesn't need to run with a healer companion - a DPS companion is a great match too - but tank + healer is HAHA YOU CAN'T KILL ME. Plus, if you need to tank group content where the other players are just DPS and not healers...well, so long as it's just three players, you can pop out your healer comp and go to town.

Now, all that said - Juggernaut/Guardian and Shadow/Assassin have definite advantages to them too. But there's a higher learning curve. Juggs/Guards are easy to pick up, but hard to master, and tricky to hold aggro with especially while levelling. Shadow/Sin tanks do great damage for a tank and have a ton of utility tricks, but you need to be damn familiar with their mechanics to play one well.

So you want Powertech/Vanguard if you're a new tank very unsure of yourself - because it's way more straightforward in comparison to the other two.

This guy pretty much covered it all. Van/PT also enjoy the benefits of multiple AOE strikes, letting them tear groups apart without much difficulty while soloing.

1) Jugg has the charge and intercept. Which is just a variation of the BH grapple. Instead of targeting enemy you target player.

2)Tanking at ranged as a BH is not really an option. If you are tanking at range you are pretty much only taunt tanking, because your other ranged attacks will be nothing compared to dps classes wailing away. Juggs have 30m saber throw, 10m force push, force choke is 10m I believe, vicious throw is also 10m. Essentially if the Jugg is at range he is only taunt tanking as well.

3)Adding in "fewer procs and conditional abilities" is just silly. Your procs end up as part of your rotation. Cooldowns would essentially make the Jugg tank more noob friendly in terms of having the oh **** buttons.

4)Fewer attributes as a BH? You still need accuracy, shield and absorb need to be around 45%. Juggs have to worry about accuracy and def... This should not be a deciding factor. All the end game gear pve/pvp comes with everything you need.

5) Juggs get their healer on Balmorra... The second planet you visit. FYI I played the entire way to 50 w/o using him. Companions should also not be a deciding factor.

As a frame of reference my Juggernaut is in full Columi and tanking hardmode EV/KP. I am still leveling my BH who is at 45 atm. I do not feel that one class is more noob friendly than the other. I would just suggest to play what you think will be the most fun. Everything else will come with time and dedication.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of Assassin info. I have not played that tank so I really have nothing to compare.

Edited by midnitemonster

The Assassin is more complex than the PT. I'd say the PT is fairly noob friendly; the most complex part of the class is heat management, and that's pretty simple (just keep it around 40 and you're fine).

The Assassin has a few things to track (buffs, debuffs and procs) to maximise it. The PT doesn't; blow your cooldowns when taking a beating and make threat... everything else is passive and not overly involved.

(I play a Tankasin and a PT tank, both Columi/Rakata geared and i've tanked HM/NMM content with both of them - the Assassin is a more complex and involved tanking class).

The Assassin is more complex than the PT. I'd say the PT is fairly noob friendly; the most complex part of the class is heat management, and that's pretty simple (just keep it around 40 and you're fine).

The Assassin has a few things to track (buffs, debuffs and procs) to maximise it. The PT doesn't; blow your cooldowns when taking a beating and make threat... everything else is passive and not overly involved.

(I play a Tankasin and a PT tank, both Columi/Rakata geared and i've tanked HM/NMM content with both of them - the Assassin is a more complex and involved tanking class).

But that's just it. Your buffs and debuffs become part of your rotation and is no longer that complicated. You could make the argument that Assassin's get a cloak, CC, and a self heal every 4.5 seconds (3 with overcharge saber). The other two do not.

I'm just trying to tell him that he can get used to any classes mechanics and should play what he feels will be the most fun.

Ultimately most people are going to say their respective class is the most difficult to play.

Edited by midnitemonster

But that's just it. Your buffs and debuffs become part of your rotation and is no longer that complicated. You could make the argument that Assassin's get a cloak, CC, and a self heal every 4.5 seconds (3 with overcharge saber). The other two do not.

I'm just trying to tell him that he can get used to any classes mechanics and should play what he feels will be the most fun.

Ultimately most people are going to say their respective class is the most difficult to play.

Sure; but for someone new to tanking more active and involved survival is another thing to keep in mind. That was the point I was making.

The fact that survival is a result of abilities you manage as opposed to passive stats is again something that adds complexity and requires understanding. The OP didn't ask "will I be able to master all tanking classes in time", he specifically wanted to know the most friendly and fault tolerant. PTs/Troopers get the vote from me; they're the least complicated tanking class at their core - put on armor, make threat. They're effective if the only buttons you push are ones that make threat.

But regardless I agree; play the one you think looks the coolest, non of them are difficult and you'll master whatever you end up rolling... but if you're set on choosing the easiest to pick up and start with then the PT is quite a simple class.

As an aside; I like "complex" classes. I started with the PT and rolled an Assassin for that very reason. I'm not stating it's the most complex because it's the one I play, i'm stating it's the most complex because I actively sought out the most complex and ended up with the Assassin.

Sure; but for someone new to tanking more active and involved survival is another thing to keep in mind. That was the point I was making.

But regardless I agree; play the one you think looks the coolest, non of them are difficult and you'll master whatever you end up rolling... but if you're set on choosing the easiest to pick up and start with then the PT is quite a simple class.

Everything that Parthis said goes for me too. I like playing tanks, and I like all of the available tanks. I simply feel that Vanguards/Powertechs are easier to play. Not better. Not more effective. Not more fun. Just simpler.

And the question was about 'noob friendly' tank.

Yes, once you get the hang of it, even the Shadow/Assassin eventually becomes comfortable and a breeze to play. I agree. That's totally true. I'm way more relaxed and comfortable running my Shadow, even though in theory it's more attention-intensive than the other tank styles.

But see, I'm cool with it now...a couple months after launch. The Shadow was still the hardest to learn.

midnitemonster: By the way, I never claimed stuff like the Vanguard/PT's lunge and pull are objectively better than the Guardian/Jugg's lunge, or that one could tank effectively at a distance. I simply said that they have lunge/pull and ranged attacks.

Remember, the OP asked about learning the ins and outs of tanking. Knowing how to deal with lunge and pull abilities on one character is a good introduction.

Having ranged attacks is just a quality of life thing. Makes your positioning easier. Lots of reasons. Ease of use and options.

Saying that you can pick any class and eventually get the hang of it is true...but it doesn't answer the OP's question.

Edited by Acyl

5) Juggs get their healer on Balmorra... The second planet you visit. FYI I played the entire way to 50 w/o using him. Companions should also not be a deciding factor.

Companions should not be a deciding factor but I'd still like to add that Guardians also get their healer on Balmorra but for them that means level 32-36... which makes levelling trickier than with a Jugg or Vanguard/Powertech.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.